Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
DT466: how hot is too hot?

I've heard that the DT466 have problems with overheating, and mine is apparently no exception. Does anyone have any knowledge of what typically causes this problem in the DT466 and what is the remedy? Also, how hot is still okay to run the engine for long periods of time? Mine runs at 200F most of the time, and climbs up to 210F when climbing hills. If the ambient temperature is also hot, then it gets even hotter when under load, like 220F. This is getting close to the top end of the temp gauge which is 230F. Any thoughts?

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3
Re: DT466: how hot is too hot?

230 is ABSOLUTELY a no-no!
220, and it's time to pull over. Any hotter will mess up the cylinder liner Orings, they get brittle, and start leaking coolant into the oil.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

I run at around 175-180*...almost no matter what. I drove it through Arizona last august and it was 105* outside, even had some hills to climb, the hottest it hit was 190*. I would highly recommend flushing your cooling system and making sure it has the proper coolant to start with. Also, do you have an intercooler? If so, do you have the goofy side by side intercooler/radiator deal? I think that was a terrible idea to build them like that. I don't think they provide enough cooling capacity. Mine didn't come with an intercooler, so I am installing an intercooler out of a 6.0 super duty. It fills the space almost perfectly! I would also make sure your fan is functioning properly. You should be able to hear it "come on" once the temp gets hot enough.

Hey neverenufhp! Gonna have to wait a couple weeks to finish my turbo project. I just put the old one back on, cuz I'm goin camping!!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466/AT545

Thanks for that perspective Jake, I'll need to dig in an see what is going on. I've seen the fan spinning at idle, so unless it's only malfunctioning sporatically, I think that is probably not the problem. The coolant is a reddish color, not the green stuff, so I think it's the "good" kind. So I guess that leaves either the thermostat or the radiator itself as the possible culprits. I would think that if the thermostat was bad, it would overheat whether under load or not. As long as it's not under load, it will idle at 180F even at over 100F ambient temp. Perhaps I should take it to a radiator shop and get them to check for blockages. Although, I once had an older Ford F150 pickup that was overheating due to radiator blockage, and it had the opposite problem as my bus: so long as I was moving it would run cooler, but at idle it would heat up. Hmmm....
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3

An IH dealer, or a parts store that deals with HD trucks will have the proper coolant. These engines require different coolant than automotive stuff, and has more additives in it.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Wet liner engines require coolant with SCA's (supplemental coolant additives). Some sort of nitrite chemical. Otherwise, tiny bubbles form on liner wet side during operation; and when those tiny bubbles collapse, a little bit of the metal goes with it. In short order you get pits through the liner, and need to rebuild.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #7

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Int DT466
Rated Cap: 48
I had a bad viscous fan clutch that caused similar symptoms..some resistance on fan blades with engine shut down but not enough..I put two bolts thru clutch fan ran constantly but I lost 2-3 mpg temperary fix put new clutch on and good cooling that engine need a lot of air it only has 1/2 radiator other half is intercooler.
Charlie
Chasgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

I have never heard the DT466 described as a hot running engine. Quite the reverse is true.

When it was designed 60 years ago for combines and tractors it was designed to run at 160 degrees. One of the problems IHC is having with it today is to make it run at 200 degrees for emissions purposes.

Unless your bus is 2010 or newer you should be running at temperatures no higher than 190 or 195 after a real hard pull uphill.

The first thing to check is your temperature guage. If it is the OEM guage i wouldn't trust the reading. Check to make sure your radiator is letting air through. Then check the temperature differential between the top and bottom.

Good luck.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Check the fan clutch. Just seeing it spinning at idle is no indication that it is locking up properly. Also, consider having the radiator checked for blockages. Sounds like your t-stat is good. You should definitely hear a loud roar when that fan kicks in. If you have the side-by-side radiator/intercooler combo you dont have much leeway to compensate for cooling system problems. Though im not sure if that side-by-side config was on the 466. Ive only seen it on the 444e.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #10

Year: 2001
Chassis: E350
Engine: 5.7 L
have you checked to make sure your condensor or intercooler is not plugged up and flowing air- in my pickup i have to blow compressed air backwards through the fins about once a year to clean out the bugs and dust.
olaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I have never heard the DT466 described as a hot running engine. Quite the reverse is true.

When it was designed 60 years ago for combines and tractors it was designed to run at 160 degrees. One of the problems IHC is having with it today is to make it run at 200 degrees for emissions purposes.

Unless your bus is 2010 or newer you should be running at temperatures no higher than 190 or 195 after a real hard pull uphill.

The first thing to check is your temperature guage. If it is the OEM guage i wouldn't trust the reading. Check to make sure your radiator is letting air through. Then check the temperature differential between the top and bottom.

Good luck.
Although I'm just going off the factory gauge and am fine with that, I totally agree with you. Mine runs at 160 almost all the time. It did climb a little bit going up Monteagle in Tn. Less than 200 iirc. That was my bad for hauling so much ass up it though.
I may look into intercooling it once the conversion and general restoration work are completed.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Moi
Engine: 444e...7.3L
Rated Cap: 36
Have you checked your thermostat? Its an easy and el cheapo thing to do...put in a 160'F thermostat. Maybe your old one is starting to cook. Flushing out the rad is never a bad idea either. I take mine right out and stick a gardenhose full blast down its throat til the rust and crap is gone.
First thing I would do is take the thermostat right out and go for a hiway run. If it overheats still...could be the pump. It could also be something evil like blocked oil passages....i cant remember now...starts with an R and its blue liquid. Rislone! Does a beauty job of cleaning everything to brand new and sparkly. Does it sound like a sewing machine? I don't wanna be the boogyman...but throw in some lucas oil too. The beauty about rislone is you can leave it in there...its not a flush and if your only half way to an oil change thats fine...throw it in. Its like 10 bucks or something.
rock649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Have you checked your thermostat? Its an easy and el cheapo thing to do...put in a 160'F thermostat. Maybe your old one is starting to cook. Flushing out the rad is never a bad idea either. I take mine right out and stick a gardenhose down its throat til the rust and crap is gone.
First thing I would do is take the thermostat right out and go for a hiway run. If it overheats still...could be the pump. It could also be something evil like blocked oil passagesl....i cant remember now...starts with an R and its blue liquid. Rislone! Does a beauty job of cleaning everything to brand new and sparkly. Does it sound like a sewing machine? I don't wanna be the boogyman...but throw in some lucas oil too. The beauty about rislone is you can leave it in there...its not a flush and if your only half way to an oil change thats fine...throw it in. Its like 10 bucks or something.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp View Post
230 is ABSOLUTELY a no-no!
220, and it's time to pull over. Any hotter will mess up the cylinder liner Orings, they get brittle, and start leaking coolant into the oil.

My DT360 hit the top of the gauge today after a two mile drive. Turns out all my coolant is in my oil now.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #16
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
my dt ran hotter than it should when i first got it. that was because some dumnass had removed the t-stat! installed 160 t-stat and the gauge stays at 160 even climbing long grades of the ozarks.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
My DT360 hit the top of the gauge today after a two mile drive. Turns out all my coolant is in my oil now.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

maybe its a good time to learn yourself

Straight 6's are a ton easier than a v8 like mine for head gaskets...
And while you're in there you can get a good look at your top end health!
Make sure all the holes line up with the new gasket....
Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
unfortunately, you will now need to replace all the bearings, they are pretty much shot at this point
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock649 View Post
Straight 6's are a ton easier than a v8 like mine for head gaskets...
That's the whole reason I bought the straight 6 in the first place! At least we'll leave knowing that everything's in good working order.