Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Almost There

Dt466 rpm

I've been scouring this site, and Google, and have been getting a lot of conflicting info.

What is the preferred cruising RPM for this engine? (Mechanical)

Mine does 2600 rpm (governed rpm) at 65 MPH. I feel like this is pushing the engine. But the previous owner only drove with the pedal to the floor and maintained 12mpg on flats. I read on other sites that a lot of over the road trucks are spinning 2400-2700 RPM at highway speeds, so I'm not terribly worried. But wanted to hear input.

I'm tossing around the idea of re gearing. But I really don't have a problem going 60-65

bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I've not been on long trips yet. But 60 is comfortable to me, on the roads I've traveled... Spinning about 2250-2300 rpm

If I bump it up to 65, it feels like I'm pushing engine too hard at about 2500-2600 rpm.
Still having trouble holding pedal to metal... I'm just not acclimated to the bus size yet. And I'm still learning my machine
Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Almost There

We must have the same rear end, from what I've gathered I think it's a 4.44. Even though I originally thought it was 4.78. I'm comfortable at those speeds, and have no problem going pedal to the metal, but it sure sounds like the engine hates it. Maybe I'm just not used to diesel "sound"
Old 08-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread519 View Post
We must have the same rear end, from what I've gathered I think it's a 4.44. Even though I originally thought it was 4.78. I'm comfortable at those speeds, and have no problem going pedal to the metal, but it sure sounds like the engine hates it. Maybe I'm just not used to diesel "sound"
I have yet to confirm my ratio... I'm just basing my observations on the roads I've traveled. No interstate highways yet.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Almost There

I had a 19 hour drive home so I've gotten a pretty good handle on how she runs on the highway
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Our DT360 is rated at 2700rpm on the engine block label. With 4.7 gears we make 60mph. Never do anything but pedal to the metal!
Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I had a 19 hour drive home so I've gotten a pretty good handle on how she runs on the highway
Being only 30 minutes was a MAJOR sales factor on mine.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
There's no reason to push a 466 past 2600.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
My bus has a 4.78 rear differential. 2426rpm is 62mph, 2600rpm is 66mph.
I've had it up to 70mph but turning over 2700 rpm. 2400 rpm "sounded" the best so that's where I drove it averaging 12 mpg.

If I do a gear swap it will be to 4.11 giving me 71 mph at that same 2400 rpm.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
My bus has a 4.78 rear differential. 2426rpm is 62mph, 2600rpm is 66mph.
I've had it up to 70mph but turning over 2700 rpm. 2400 rpm "sounded" the best so that's where I drove it averaging 12 mpg.

If I do a gear swap it will be to 4.11 giving me 71 mph at that same 2400 rpm.
Have you looked into the cost for our bus? Or if the gear and pinion are readily available?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
There's no reason to push a 466 past 2600.
Def wouldn't want to. I'm not touching the gov. I was just wondering if it's not crazy to run it at 2600 for an extended period
Old 08-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I ran 2400-2500 the whole way from KY.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Have you looked into the cost for our bus? Or if the gear and pinion are readily available?
I have not looked at price or availability yet. My build is on hold while I remodel my moms house to get ready to sell.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I thought the DT466 was rated RPM a little lower than the DT360 like 2500 max while the most common variant of the DT-360 is rated at 2700 RPM..

these are loaded RPM..if you look in the IHC service manuals they will tellyou that a foot to the floor in neutral max unloaded RPM is 200 more than the loaded..

the IHC manual noted the max safe RPM's and the max longevity RPMs..

ill have to lookat the DT-466 section.. and these are for the mechanicals.. not the DT-466E's.. those are different..

but on the DT-360 it was noted that a DT-360 could be turned up to a maxx 3000 loaded RPM and unloaded 3200 RPM... but siggested its life would be shortened by doing so...

im guessing the DT466 will have a similar write-up.. so I guess its a matter of how fast do you want to get somewhere vs how long do you want the engine to last...

the fuel can be turned up easily on these engines, however that also increases the max RPM the injector pump will allow.. so you would then have to watch it yourself... running foot to the floor would only be possible in the hills where your engine load is high enough that you can give it more fuel and not run the RPM's up (ie climbing a hill)...

im also finding that running a school bus at 60-62 is a lot nicer to drive than 65-68.. at the higher speeds it seems like I have to work harder to drive it.. bump-steer is worse.. wind currents afect it more... MPG's goes in the toilet..

like most, when i first picked up the bus I wanted to drive it like it was my pickup truck along the highway as fast as i could go... now its like I want to enjoy the ride and have an easier time of it.. and not work the engine so hard... sure the traffic blows by me.. but it makes driving really much easier... I pretty much got in a single lane and just drove from ohio to florida... only time i moved over was to exit and to give emergency vehicles the necessary free-lane ..

I passed one other skoolie and a couple trucks and that was it... if I gotta get somewhere fast I fly or drive something otherthan a school bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #15
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I thought the DT466 was rated RPM a little lower than the DT360 like 2500 max while the most common variant of the DT-360 is rated at 2700 RPM..

these are loaded RPM..if you look in the IHC service manuals they will tellyou that a foot to the floor in neutral max unloaded RPM is 200 more than the loaded..

the IHC manual noted the max safe RPM's and the max longevity RPMs..

ill have to lookat the DT-466 section.. and these are for the mechanicals.. not the DT-466E's.. those are different..

but on the DT-360 it was noted that a DT-360 could be turned up to a maxx 3000 loaded RPM and unloaded 3200 RPM... but siggested its life would be shortened by doing so...

im guessing the DT466 will have a similar write-up.. so I guess its a matter of how fast do you want to get somewhere vs how long do you want the engine to last...

the fuel can be turned up easily on these engines, however that also increases the max RPM the injector pump will allow.. so you would then have to watch it yourself... running foot to the floor would only be possible in the hills where your engine load is high enough that you can give it more fuel and not run the RPM's up (ie climbing a hill)...

im also finding that running a school bus at 60-62 is a lot nicer to drive than 65-68.. at the higher speeds it seems like I have to work harder to drive it.. bump-steer is worse.. wind currents afect it more... MPG's goes in the toilet..

like most, when i first picked up the bus I wanted to drive it like it was my pickup truck along the highway as fast as i could go... now its like I want to enjoy the ride and have an easier time of it.. and not work the engine so hard... sure the traffic blows by me.. but it makes driving really much easier... I pretty much got in a single lane and just drove from ohio to florida... only time i moved over was to exit and to give emergency vehicles the necessary free-lane ..

I passed one other skoolie and a couple trucks and that was it... if I gotta get somewhere fast I fly or drive something otherthan a school bus..

-Christopher
Yup I started out driving pedal to the metal. But 55/60 seems much more comfortable and the engine seems like appreciate it much more
Old 10-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
increasing engine HP

I watched a you tube and the guy said towing his jeep it was lame so installed a block or plate on the pump and it had like another 75HP. Now i have played with VW and BEnz back in my veggie oil days. we would turn the pump up but the real power was in bigger injectors. you take the injectors out of a turbo benz and put them in a rabbit and it would have so much more power. the it seems a pump turned up worked better or correctly.
At any rate if I wanted to turn mine up what is the best way to go. is it a bit more fuel and or more boost or? I'll put in a EGT I almost cant drive with out one any how.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #17
Bus Geek

this kind of adds to my previous post on the subject...

if you are going to be towing you need to also watch what your transmission is capable of... look the numbers on thye transmission plate up on myallison and see how its built... if your 466 is already pushing 250 HP you may be pushing the limits of the transmission to bump up your horsepower..

from everything ive read turning up the fuel screws on your 466 will definitely wake it up... now when I read my international service manual for my DT-360 (the 2 are similar).... International wrote in the book that the engine can be run at 3200 RPM, however doing so reduces its longevity... (I havent look at the DT-466 section to see the max RPM).. on the 360 they said 2700 RPM under load is the max safe and highest longevity for that engine... on my DT-360 it is rated to give me the most HP / TQ at 2300 RPM... im guessing part of that is the cam profile but part of it is probably bumping the injection timing a little more advanced also... mine is a Jasper.. when I called them I didnt think to ask what the timing was set at.. but i like to think these engines from the factory are at 19 degrees and going out to 23 might give you a bit higher RPM max oin your HP / TQ curve? I dont have a Dyno access where i could play... if my engine was fresh i might be inclined to heat it up a bit... ive just never been one to power-add to a motor that was already broken in and used to its previous tune for however many miles / hours.. but many do it with success..

-Christopher
Old 10-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
On the 360 they said 2700 RPM under load is the max safe and highest longevity for that engine... on my DT-360 it is rated to give me the most HP / TQ at 2300 RPM... im guessing part of that is the cam profile but part of it is probably bumping the injection timing a little more advanced also...
Diesel engines are way different then gas engines.

The power band in a diesel is solely controlled by the injection pump. Granted, you'll have to tailor the turbo and intercooler around it but the camshaft plays such a tiny factor in it that it's not worth mentioning. That's why most of your cam companies list hundreds of different grinds for the chevy small block, yet a lot of them don't even list a camshaft for a diesel, and if they do, it's one or two different grinds and that's it.

Obviously the injection pump(in a mechanical engine) controls the fuel amount and the injection timing. And by doing that it is what creates your torque ratings, torque rise, hp level, governed speed, etc. of the engine.

You can now change all of this stuff with a computer through the ecm on the electronic engines. All without changing the camshaft or cylinder head.

A lot of engines have a fuel economy map available from the factory as to where the engine is most efficient in the power band. As a rule of thumb, it's usually somewhere between 75 and 80% of the max rpm.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
As a rule of thumb, it's usually somewhere between 75 and 80% of the max rpm.
Roger that. Which typically puts the "sweet spot" just a few RPM's above the peak torque rating. My 4BT produces peak HP at 2300 but the peak torque is at 1700. I planned my tranny, rear gearing and tire size for about 65 mph at 1800.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #20
Bus Geek

interesting.. it makes total sense since in a gas engine alot of the cam is controlling the air gping into the engine... where obviopusly with a diesel the air is just the air.. (albeit pressurized wit hs turbo).. but the fuel controls not only the amount of burn but the ignition time as well...

I locve this place.. i learn lots.. I havent yet gotten brave enough to mess with the fuel injection on my T-444E yet.. though I know I can do alot (even with its mechanical pump) through hacking the computers.. ive done a lot of ECM mods over the years.. I need ot learn more about diesels.. after-all its a lot more expensive if I grenade my T-444E than it was when I grenaded a small block chevy...

-Christopher

Tags
gearing, rear end, rpm