Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
DT466 WVO question

I'm getting ready to buy a bus with a DT466 engine (with mechanical fuel injection). I'm buying off ebay so cannot see the engine up close in person until I've already taken the plunge.

Here's my question: Is the stock fuel filter set up so I can easily bypass it when setting up my WVO conversion? I don't want my WVO to go through the diesel filter at any time. If the dino-diesel filter is part of the purge circuit, it takes too long. I want the dino-diesel and WVO systems to be completely independent right up to the lift pump/injection pump.

Is this easily done in the DT466? Or is the filter housing integrated into the engine in such a way that it is not easy to just rearrange hose routing to accomplish my goal?

BTW, the bus is a 1996 International/Thomas with high roof. DT466 engine and AT545 transmission. 3/4 length bus. 165,000 miles. Hydraulic brakes. Wheel chair lift. Price will likely be $3,800. It's a dealer. I was hoping to find a cheaper bus, but my selection criteria is so narrow, that I'm going to pay a premium to get exactly what I want.

Thanks!

Dan

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: URGENT: DT466 WVO question

i just looked for some photos, but i'm pretty sure that you can isolate the veggie system from the diesel system. If i remember correctly, the connections for the stock fuel filter use 3/8" npt fittings. I had a dt360, which is a near identical clone to the dt466. keep in mind that some dt466 engines came with a rotory pump which is not as suitable for wvo. I am pretty confident that a 1996 will have an inline pump.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Attached is a pic of the engine. Can you tell if that is the rotary or inline pump?

Thanks,
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
i just looked for some photos, but i'm pretty sure that you can isolate the veggie system from the diesel system. If i remember correctly, the connections for the stock fuel filter use 3/8" npt fittings. I had a dt360, which is a near identical clone to the dt466. keep in mind that some dt466 engines came with a rotory pump which is not as suitable for wvo. I am pretty confident that a 1996 will have an inline pump.
Attached Thumbnails
DT466.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Okay, I did a little research and now realize that this is an "inline" pump. I guess "inline" refers to the way injection lines are arranged in a line, as opposed to in a circular pattern. I have a 1993 Ford F250 with a 7.3 IDI mechanical injection engine which I now realize has a rotary pump. So is that engine not well suited for WVO conversion?

FORUM MODERATOR: At this point, feel free to move this thread to the WVO section - My need for answers is no longer urgent. I deleted my duplicative thread over there.

Thanks!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Re: DT466 WVO question

that is definately an inline pump. Since you cannot see a fuel filter in the photo, it looks like it should be very easy for you to separate your wvo/diesel lines.

i personally like to have my wvo circulate through the filter. I feel this adds a little extra insurance when it comes to filtering veggie.

i also like to install a 12 volt pump into the diesel fuel line that can be turned on when priming the engine after running out of fuel or otherwise sucking air into the system. a great alternative to an electric fuel pump is one of those bulbs that you squeeze with your hand normally associated with an outboard boat motor.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Re: DT466 WVO question

Thanks for the tips Lapeer20m, I saw some old threads where you were talking about the inline 12v auxillary pumps, and I think that is a great idea. I have a mercedes with a WVO conversion, and to prime the lines I have to pressurize the tank with compressed air, which works, but is a hassle and not possible if I am on the side of the road somewhere. I'll probably install one of those Facet 12v pumps you get at Napa on each side of the system. I think they put out like 4-7 PSI. That would certainly not over pressurize the system, but I wonder if it's enough pressure to supply fuel during normal operation...?
viewtopic.php?t=4959