Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Short Bus
Engine: DT466E International
DT466E Fuel Problem - Bus acts like its running out of fuel.

Ok, I have a DT466E and I'm running down the road at 2500 RPMs and I can start to feel a power cycling or surging. In a gas car, its almost like its running out of gas like rum rum rum rum....however this is a diesel fueled bus.

I changed the fuel filter up by the injectors, changed the little primer pump because it was leaking when pressing to charge the system. New filter and pump, cleaned out the plastic filter bowl and it still does this intermittently. Normally after riding around for an hour or so. The operating temperature is about 210. So far it clears up on its own, but its freaky when it happens. Anybody have a clue on what to do ? Whats going on ?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

plochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

to me it seems that if it runs perfect at max rpm range for an hour, than is intermittant occasionally, should not be fuel filters, but maybe injection pump issue when hot
Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
Skoolie

Air in the lines will cause this problem too it doesn't take very much air, if you could do a fuel line pressure test that may help out check all the fittings and tighten everything up. An intermittent problem tells me it's probably a fitting and elbow or something like that.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

ok, will keep checking.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
I'm having the same exact problem. Had the computer scanned but it had never been cleared out so the tech told me that he couldn't narrow down the problem because it had too many codes.

I found a different ecm (computer) in a salvage yard for $100 so I swapped it out thinking that might be the problem but the symptoms remain the same.

I read in the forums that the sensor on the throttle pedal can go bad sometimes but I tested it and it has the proper resistance.

I'm thinking now that it might be the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pressure sensor.

Have you figured yours out yet?

Mine only seems to lose throttle response after it warms up or when I take it out on the Interstate....
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBUNCEX View Post
I'm having the same exact problem. Had the computer scanned but it had never been cleared out so the tech told me that he couldn't narrow down the problem because it had too many codes.

I found a different ecm (computer) in a salvage yard for $100 so I swapped it out thinking that might be the problem but the symptoms remain the same.

I read in the forums that the sensor on the throttle pedal can go bad sometimes but I tested it and it has the proper resistance.

I'm thinking now that it might be the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pressure sensor.

Have you figured yours out yet?

Mine only seems to lose throttle response after it warms up or when I take it out on the Interstate....
Somebody wrote that it could be a loose fitting on the fuel line. Sure enough, I took a wrench and tightened all the fittings I could see from the filter to the thing of a magig and it solved the problem completely. There is copper tubing with brass fittings that I got a quarter turn on some of them, must have been the problem. Runs like a charm now. Hope you find your issue.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanchip View Post
Air in the lines will cause this problem too it doesn't take very much air, if you could do a fuel line pressure test that may help out check all the fittings and tighten everything up. An intermittent problem tells me it's probably a fitting and elbow or something like that.
You are the man, yes I tightened all the fittings I could find and no more wierd running. Thank you. I think its a good idea to tighten stuff up every so often under the hood. Found an oil line loose to after losing 5 gallons of oil on the road, doh !! My oil pressure is looking so much better now...... Thanks again. Michael
Old 09-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
I don't know if the dt466e has one but my dta360 it was doing something similar and I realized that the engine shut off rod wasn't pushed in all the way. It also had problems starting almost as if there was air in the lines. Now it starts and runs like a champ.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

No sure what that is, the engine shut off rod......hmmm. now I wonder if I have one too and should check it....The Bird is purring like a kitten now so Im good.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #10
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by plochman View Post
Y Found an oil line loose to after losing 5 gallons of oil on the road, doh !!

Motorcycles love you !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by plochman View Post
No sure what that is, the engine shut off rod......hmmm. now I wonder if I have one too and should check it....The Bird is purring like a kitten now so Im good.
It's in between the key ignition and the high idle. It's a handle you pull to turn off the engine. If you don't have to pull a handle to turnoff your engine you probably don't have one. Anyways it works by shutting off the fuel flow. Later models have and electronic shut off solenoid.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
Skoolie

I'm glad that tightening of the fuel line work for you I hope everything keeps running smooth we have to keep these rigs running, I think this site is a great Forum to help people help others.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote