Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
whats interesting is I looked up alliant injectors online and they state "brand new" but yet there is a core charge.. so either they sell the cores to some of those companies doing the cheap $159 Remans or these are actually Reman injectors..
Yep, that's why I'm not quite sure the injectors I purchased are truly brand new or not. They looked great, didn't look like any parts had been in service before but I'm a little suspicious. They do come with a 2 year warranty though so that made me comfortable. Interestingly, Swamps offers a 5 year warranty on their remans.

rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #22
Bus Nut

I'm a tech and I only use new if they're missing or damaged. Remand are tested and calibrated so they perform to newspecs why spend the extra money?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
I'm a tech and I only use new if they're missing or damaged. Remand are tested and calibrated so they perform to newspecs why spend the extra money?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
ive had good luck with ReMan parts in the past... Heck the whole engine in my DEV bus is a Reman and ive driven that thing all over..

MOST GOOD Reman parts like injectors / engines / trans are done with the proper kits will have any manufacturer recommended updates as well... I know for sure that engines and transmission Reman kits will tell you that they include the updated parts per any TSB's or Recalls.. im assuming injector reman parts kits would be the same?

HEUI injectors are more complex than the average mechanical diesel injectors so id hope they are updated..

you are a diesel tech?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #24
Skoolie

I have nothing against reman injectors but they need to come from a reputable source for me to feel comfortable. And in this case the "brand new" injectors that I purchased were cheaper than reman injectors from Swamps or my local International dealership.

Of course there are other places out there to purchase reman HEUI injectors from but how much work are they performing to re-manufacture them? Are they just replacing some seals and nozzles and getting it back within specification? Or are they doing some machine work, replacing worn valves, and doing a complete job? By the time you put all of the hours of work and parts into re-manufacturing a HEUI injector I would expect the price to be just about the same as the new ones I purchased.

Pensacola Diesel is another source out there for brand new or reman Alliant Power injectors and they charge $175 for remans and around $305 for new ones depending on what code of injector you need. They say they put a new barrel, plunger, and nozzle on every rebuild but are they addressing any other worn out parts?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensch26 View Post
I have nothing against reman injectors but they need to come from a reputable source for me to feel comfortable. And in this case the "brand new" injectors that I purchased were cheaper than reman injectors from Swamps or my local International dealership.

Of course there are other places out there to purchase reman HEUI injectors from but how much work are they performing to re-manufacture them? Are they just replacing some seals and nozzles and getting it back within specification? Or are they doing some machine work, replacing worn valves, and doing a complete job? By the time you put all of the hours of work and parts into re-manufacturing a HEUI injector I would expect the price to be just about the same as the new ones I purchased.
are yours the alliant? I think there must be some difference in the alliant i see online and the other "reman" as some are $150 vs $279, id like to think you get better injectors for the higher price.. but then if they are new why do they need your core back? normally when I buy a new part the core is mine to keep...

in the parts word it used to be more clear.. Rebuilt meant simply taking it apart and replacing any bad part and putting it back together making sure it waswithin spec.. reman meant most any "consumable" part was replaced.. (coils, sleeves, nozzles, diaphrams, etc).. and pretty much only the hardest of parts (the case) was re-used..

now-days the term reman is tossed around all over..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
are yours the alliant? I think there must be some difference in the alliant i see online and the other "reman" as some are $150 vs $279, id like to think you get better injectors for the higher price.. but then if they are new why do they need your core back?
Yep, mine are from Alliant Power. Yeah, that's why I'm not certain mine are truly brand new or not. I would have thought there wouldn't have been a core charge but like you, the parts world confuses me nowadays. I would like to think that if Alliant is re-manufacturing their own injectors that they are doing a good job. I'm not even sure if a true "new" injector is even available from Alliant anymore.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #27
Skoolie

Well our first trip using our toy hauler was a success. All loaded down we were probably right around 26k lbs. Driving pedal to the metal up and down the West Virginia mountains we got 8.5 mpg. The engine ran well with the new injectors. We still have a flutter around 1500-1700 rpm in top gear. Usually occurs as we are slowing down while climbing a mountain. The boost gauge seems to bounce around quite a bit when it is doing it. Not sure if it is possibly a problem with the wastegate or a fuel delivery problem in that rpm range under a load.