Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
DT466e injector removal - how many beer job?

Looking to remove the injectors from my 97 DT466e this afternoon so that I can get them tested and look at the orings.
Thanks to those that have helped me get this far!

I have a 6 of the Beast in the fridge. Is this a bigger job than that?

Thanks
MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Figure on 2 - 3 hours be sure to drain the hpop oil from the head or like I do crank the motor with the injectors out to blow out the oil that drains into the cylinder when you rem9ve the injectors or risk hydrostatic lock up and engine damage
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks Doe,

I ended up putting it off to do some more research.
how do i drain that oil is it big round plug on the back beside the head?
Also, i read something about draining fuel also, not sure how to do that.

https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum...?TOPIC_ID=8990
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190428_165136.jpg (215.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

No experience with the DT466e but they use the same injectors as the T444E so the concept is the same. If you are pulling them out of the motor the Orings are bad. they can't be reused. So order a new kit. I had my injectors rebuilt by jim at rosewood diesel. great prices and quick turnaround time. If you send them to him his prices include new o rings. I had my injectors pulled in about 5 beers... and I have 8 of them in a ford cutaway (no room to move). Edit... If you pull that oil rail plug you will also need a set of orings for that to re install. I dont think you need to take that out to change injectors. Just make sure to purge the motor thru the glow plug holes (NOT the injector holes, then fuel and oil mix and shoot everywhere) before trying to restart.
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by E450Shorty View Post
Just make sure to purge the motor thru the glow plug holes (NOT the injector holes, then fuel and oil mix and shoot everywhere) before trying to restart.
The DT466E does not have glow plugs so clearing the cylinders must be done through the injector holes instead.

I’d probably have a few more than a 6 pack at the ready. Just go slow, take a ton of pictures and you’ll be able to do the removal and install. As for releasing fuel pressure in the rail you can poke the Schrader valve on the fuel filter head or (I believe) the one on the back of the cylinder head to let the pressure go. Wear eye protection just in case!
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARGEAR View Post
The DT466E does not have glow plugs so clearing the cylinders must be done through the injector holes instead.

I’d probably have a few more than a 6 pack at the ready. Just go slow, take a ton of pictures and you’ll be able to do the removal and install. As for releasing fuel pressure in the rail you can poke the Schrader valve on the fuel filter head or (I believe) the one on the back of the cylinder head to let the pressure go. Wear eye protection just in case!
Well you learn something new every day I guess. Thanks!
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Skoolie

I've never personally given any thought to releasing fuel pressure as it's so low anyway nor have I bothered with the drain plugs in the Head I've just popped out the injectors and let it all dump into the cylinders just be sure to change the oil when you are done. As for purging yeah it's messy through tbe injector or the glow plug ports but didn't know that motor didn't have. Glow plugs either but then again I've only had the valve covers off 7.3s on trucks
Old 05-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
Skoolie

Thanks fellas! Injectors out

Really appreciate the help with this fellas, you are great!

I was able disconnect the fuel file from the rail, but couldn't get That oil plug out to let it drain, so will still have to deal with that so it doesn't hydrolock or whatever was mentioned.

Here is a pic. on the 5th down, the top o-ring was torn, and on the last one, the bottom o-ring seemed shaved off and the bottom end is black and rougher.

So now to send them off.

It may be a while before they come back, i can throw a trashbag over the head, but does the hood do a pretty good job of keeping rain out? I have never really checked?

Thanks!
dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190504_114534.jpg (392.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MambaJack View Post
Really appreciate the help with this fellas, you are great!

I was able disconnect the fuel file from the rail, but couldn't get That oil plug out to let it drain, so will still have to deal with that so it doesn't hydrolock or whatever was mentioned.

Here is a pic. on the 5th down, the top o-ring was torn, and on the last one, the bottom o-ring seemed shaved off and the bottom end is black and rougher.

So now to send them off.

It may be a while before they come back, i can throw a trashbag over the head, but does the hood do a pretty good job of keeping rain out? I have never really checked?

Thanks!

dave
If you found bad o rings and it were me I would replace the o rings and try starting it before sending them off because usually when you find a problem visually it's solved not always but usually
Old 05-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
This is one of those “while you’re in there” cases. Good idea sending them out to be rebuilt. Cover the whole head with a big ole trash bag and duct tape it to the motor. Last thing you want is foreign shizzlewizzle getting into the cylinders, oil galleries, head, etc. The right most injector does appear suspect. If you have access to a borescope take a gander inside the cylinders and see how the walls look. Gives you an idea of how long the motor has left before a rebuild is a good idea.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote