Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466 (MT643 trans)
Rated Cap: 19
Engine Leaks... Cause for concern?

Hey Guys,

So I took our bus to a mechanic to have the engine looked at (preventative, no issues that I could tell).

The repair shop came back with some pretty substantial cost estimates for work to be done. Main issues are oil leaks, though it doesn't appear to be severe.

The mechanic seems to think the front engine cover might be leaking oil. They estimate 28 hrs labor (?!) to remove, install, and repair.

I'm no mechanic, so I'm not sure if that's a reasonable number or not. That being said, 28 hrs for the following seems excessive for a shop that specializes in diesel equipment: "R&I DT466 Front and Rear Section with Auto Trans and/or Trans Oil Cooler - [Includes R&I components for access and gasket"

The guys at the shop were nice enough, and they deserve to be paid what they're worth. I just also don't want to be taken advantage of.

Any opinions are welcome. I've attached the estimate as well.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Dunno - that would buy a lot of oil. And some cardboard to put under the engine.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Dunno - that would buy a lot of oil. And some cardboard to put under the engine.
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. Fixing oil leaks for 3x more than the cost of buying the bus seems a little crazy- but I don't want to build it out only to have big engine trouble down the line.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I guess it depends on how bad the leaks are.. if you are dumping a quart of oil on the ground sitting over night id be really concerned.. or if you are making a lot of smoke because its slinging enough oil on the exhauct to make smoke id be concenred.. or if its causing you to use a quart of oil every couple hundred miles id be concerned..

but if you are finding little puddles or spots under the bus after you drive it and let it sit I would say who cares..

Diesels leak opil.. at least lots do... ever notice what the trucker parking spots look like at rest areas or truck stops?

both of my busses leak a small amount of oil... ive run close to 10,000 Miles on the DEV and had no ill effects other than some oil spots on the ground and a few drips of oil noticed around the rear seal after I run it...

in fact I can drive it 1000 miles and not have to add oil... if I wanted to fix my leaks on that DT-360 a lot of what you saw on your repair bill is what I would have to do to mine .. (remove and install, tranny, etc).... im sure there are others here that have been running busses all over and had a few drops of oil without issues..

like any commercial truck... you learn how much it uses and then you check it each day before you drive as part of your pre-check walkaround...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zndrson View Post
Hey Guys,

So I took our bus to a mechanic to have the engine looked at (preventative, no issues that I could tell).

The repair shop came back with some pretty substantial cost estimates for work to be done. Main issues are oil leaks, though it doesn't appear to be severe.

The mechanic seems to think the front engine cover might be leaking oil. They estimate 28 hrs labor (?!) to remove, install, and repair.

I'm no mechanic, so I'm not sure if that's a reasonable number or not. That being said, 28 hrs for the following seems excessive for a shop that specializes in diesel equipment: "R&I DT466 Front and Rear Section with Auto Trans and/or Trans Oil Cooler - [Includes R&I components for access and gasket"

The guys at the shop were nice enough, and they deserve to be paid what they're worth. I just also don't want to be taken advantage of.

Any opinions are welcome. I've attached the estimate as well.

That's out of control. Stop by a actual bus barn and leave a note on there board. Find a guy to do it in his off time. Or and run a ad on CL. get this labor down to $20 an hour and buy the parts off ebay. Then do yourself a huge favor and help if he'll let you.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah, repairs can get way pricey. Not uncommon to pay more for a repair or tires than for a whole bus. Just be glad you don't have a mercedes or Cat!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Oil leaks

Something is very sketchy here, 28 hours to do a front cover? Don.t think so. I have worked on these engines and that is a LOT for work that they THINK is wrong. You can just about get an inframe done for that. Get a second opinion.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Leaks

With the proper equipment, R/R trans is about 4-5 hours, plus any seals you change.
Personally, I think you are being way overcharged.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
With the proper equipment, R/R trans is about 4-5 hours, plus any seals you change.
Personally, I think you are being way overcharged.
Front seal, not rear.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #10
Bus Nut

What is the labor for r/r trans for then? Are they removing the entire engine to do a reseal?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Frankly, for close to 9 grand, I can get an entire inframe done on a DT466. This includes new coolant, oil, seals (including rear main), and I forget what else.

More to the point, if it's only losing - what? A gallon a month? Doesn't seem worth it to me. A gallon every 30-50 miles? That's another story.

I haven't priced an oil change lately, but last time I had one done it was right around $100 +tax, out the door (of course this was when diesel was still $.99 per gallon ...)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Frankly, for close to 9 grand, I can get an entire inframe done on a DT466. This includes new coolant, oil, seals (including rear main), and I forget what else.

More to the point, if it's only losing - what? A gallon a month? Doesn't seem worth it to me. A gallon every 30-50 miles? That's another story.

I haven't priced an oil change lately, but last time I had one done it was right around $100 +tax, out the door (of course this was when diesel was still $.99 per gallon ...)

a full inframe gives you new sleeves, pistons, rings, exhaust and turbo gaskets, plus all seals, usually includes having the heads worked.. I cant remember if an inframe kit includes valves and springs or not..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a full inframe gives you new sleeves, pistons, rings, exhaust and turbo gaskets, plus all seals, usually includes having the heads worked.. I cant remember if an inframe kit includes valves and springs or not..

-Christopher

I believe the price included having the head completely re-done. Presumably the machine shop provides the valves and springs.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks to everyone for the replies! The sentiments here have more or less reinforced my own.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it, as I tend to be overly cautious about things like this. Will try to run it more and see how much it actually leaks over time.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i have never worked on a diesel engine before i fixed the leak on mine. took my time and watched some youtube videos. bought the entire gasket kit on ebay for my engine. take pictures of every step you take so you can go back and look at them. that bid seems a little steep. good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote