Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Engine Storage

Greetings need input what would be the proper way to protect the engine while the bus is say sitting in an RV park or private land, for say 5-10 years? I would like to keep it maintained while sitting so it's ready for a cross country trip at the drop of a hat!

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
honestly the BEST way is to drive it every couple months or so.. its not only the engine, but the tires, the bearings, brakes, suspension, etc that should be exercised periodically.. when you start talking years.. things like mpositure in the oil and engione.. even if you seal off the intake.. is stil gonna create a bit of rust on the cylinders, with air brakes, your rear brakes may very well seize. fuel goes stale after that long even with additives.. taking it out for a 30-60 minute drive every 2 or 3 months solves alot of these issues and ensures it is ready for a longer journey when wanted..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
taking it out for a 30-60 minute drive every 2 or 3 months ...
Are you sure 2-3 months is enough? Every time I hear of "engine storage" or "bus storage" the advice is for an interval of every 2-4 weeks....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Greetings need input what would be the proper way to protect the engine while the bus is say sitting in an RV park or private land, for say 5-10 years? I would like to keep it maintained while sitting so it's ready for a cross country trip at the drop of a hat!

"UNPOSSIBLE" What are you thinkinn?"

John
Old 12-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Are you sure 2-3 months is enough? Every time I hear of "engine storage" or "bus storage" the advice is for an interval of every 2-4 weeks....
I think ideal is drive every few days.. but people up here in the north often store their RV's and classic cars away for 3 months at a time in winter and dont have any issues when they go to drive them. unless farmers are farming winter wheat its not uncommon for the tractor to be stored for a few months.. most people I know of drive till the fuel is nearly empty then fuel it up right before it gets put away, and plug in a battery tender to keep the batteries from going dead.

the Most importabt part is though when you do get it out, run it awhile.. you want it warmed up.. lots of moisture and condensation forms on cold metal - moisture is a by-product of combustion.. you need heat to make sure the condensation is gone.. getting that core engine and transmission temperature up is important.. and the best way to do that is drive it...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote