Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Fuel filters likely plugged while bringing bus home from seller, some knowledge req'd

Coming home, bus hit 1/4 on guage. Started losing a bit of power, then ran dry 8 feet from pump. Was able to fuel it up, prime the system and get her going again, but 8 km down the road it wouldn't even get over 60 km /hr. Nor would it rev over 1800 rpm, slow up grades à bit faster on flats. I'm told I likely have clogged filters so my wife and I drove 2 hours away to find filters in the chase car. We head back tomorrow to attempt to change them I'm told there are 2. What do I need for tools? Any tips? Where is the fuel separator located on this bus?

2000 international 3000 series DT 466.

AdventureBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

If the bus has a fuel/water separator/heater it will be along the frame rail somewhere right about underneath the driver's seat.

The fuel filters will be on the driver's side of the engine and can be found just in front of the fire wall.

You should bring a can of fuel along with you to fill the filters up before you install them. DT466 are fairly easy to prime but the less air you put into the system the sooner it will be running properly again.

For future reference, always carry at least a couple of fuel filters along with you. Fuel stops that do not pump thousands of gallons of day but only a few thousand gallons a month will tend to have old fuel that can carry a lot of gunk into your tank. Also, since most fuel is now required to have a bio-component to it, the bio-diesel blends tend to bring along extra crud and moisture than the old non-bio-diesel.

Good luck!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Guess u now realize to always buy at least 1 set of fuel filters before driving anywhere.. not hard to change, is good idea to prefill before instillation of course n hope no air in system.