Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 61
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Dt40
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
A lot of that 10 will depend on da foot!!!!!!!!!
Well, with ours if you're on the Interstate, da foot is on da floor. ;)

And 2800 at 65mph is about 400 rpm lower that I am seeing.
bhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
Diesel Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,489
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
I'm getting closer to 8mpg on mine doing 60-65 mph on flat highway with maybe some rolling hills here and there. I don't remember the ratio on my gear box but I am doing about 2800 rpm at 65mph.
If you were driving 55, what would your rpms be and do you think you mileage would be much better?
At 55mph I think my RPMs are closer to 2200-2500 and of course mpg would be better, but I don't know how much better since I've never calculated it at that speed. I would guess I could get 10mpg if I kept it down to 55. I think 10mpg is as good as it gets though.
__________________
Gallery:
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... l_dan_bus/
Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhays
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
A lot of that 10 will depend on da foot!!!!!!!!!
Well, with ours if you're on the Interstate, da foot is on da floor. ;)

And 2800 at 65mph is about 400 rpm lower that I am seeing.

Wow. 3200 rpm seems pretty high. I thought they were governed at 2600-2800. What rear end do you have? I hope my rpms aren't that high. If it is, something will have to be done about that.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

[quote=Diesel Dan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Diesel Dan":d6iky3yn
I'm getting closer to 8mpg on mine doing 60-65 mph on flat highway with maybe some rolling hills here and there. I don't remember the ratio on my gear box but I am doing about 2800 rpm at 65mph.
If you were driving 55, what would your rpms be and do you think you mileage would be much better?
At 55mph I think my RPMs are closer to 2200-2500 and of course mpg would be better, but I don't know how much better since I've never calculated it at that speed. I would guess I could get 10mpg if I kept it down to 55. I think 10mpg is as good as it gets though.[/quote:d6iky3yn]


What is your rear end ratio? If I could keep the revs around 2200-2400, I think I would be happy. I will know in a couple of weeks I guess.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

Mpgs turned out much better than hoped. I know I got a solid 10 going across country. I haven't done all the calls yet but will soon. The 545 definitely has to go for two reasons. I think it's on it's last leg and because of the nonlockup converter. A local guy told me about $2500 plus my 545 for a 643. This is not installed. That is a complete reman to Allison specs.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

i think you can get reman 643 or even 545 for 1800 in calif. shipping extra..
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
i think you can get reman 643 or even 545 for 1800 in calif. shipping extra..

Do you know where specifically for the 643?
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Bus Nut
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 679
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

IIRC, the at545 mates to a SAE 3 bell housing. The mt643 mates to a SAE 2 bell housing. An SAE 2 bell housing for a dt466 should be easy to find.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #19
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
IIRC, the at545 mates to a SAE 3 bell housing. The mt643 mates to a SAE 2 bell housing. An SAE 2 bell housing for a dt466 should be easy to find.
It already has a #2 on there. Then there is another smaller adapter that brings it to a 3. If I take that adapter off, I have a 2. Just not sure of what else I need to complete the changeover. I know I can use the same shifter.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
Re: Fuel MPG with DT466 and AT545???

not much...
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1995 DT466 Fuel line gildorr Mechanical and Drivetrains 5 06-30-2014 11:09 AM
AT545 overfull! bus-bro Mechanical and Drivetrains 2 07-27-2010 12:03 PM
at545 transmission The Wanderer Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 15 05-24-2007 01:13 AM
Does a MT643 fit instead of a AT545 ????? Protecx Conversion General Discussions 1 02-09-2007 10:14 PM
I need a Used or Rebuilt Transmission (AT545) ParadigmCrime Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 6 09-10-2006 11:04 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.