Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Skoolie

Gauge cluster problemS

I’ve been experiencing terrible problems with my gauge cluster, it’s intermittent on and off especially on the plug on the right side. My air alarm goes off randomly, my wait to start light no long illuminates etc.

I’m pretty sure the actual cluster is fine (except the fuel gauge which I replaced with and aftermarket one) it appears there is a fault in the plugs or wires near the plugs. If I reach under the dash and move the wires or the cluster while it’s in use the light on the air gauge cuts in and out and the gauges act erratically.

Any idea how I could fix this or rebuild the cluster wiring?

Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
There are companies that will rebuild the gauge clusters on these buses/trucks. Just do some internet searching and you'll come across one.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The IH gauges are notorious for this. The connections can be re-soldered if you are handy with it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The IH gauges are notorious for this. The connections can be re-soldered if you are handy with it.

I think it’s the actual plug, so you mean resolder the wires into the plug?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
I think it’s the actual plug, so you mean resolder the wires into the plug?

Or the board where the female side is?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Or maybe rebuild the entire gauge panel with good-quality separate gauges, such as those by Speedhut or VDO. We even have an International truck at work, and guess what, its gauges are all toast! If you build your own gauge panel you can choose what's important for you, and have a comprehensive display of everything that matters.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Or maybe rebuild the entire gauge panel with good-quality separate gauges, such as those by Speedhut or VDO. We even have an International truck at work, and guess what, its gauges are all toast! If you build your own gauge panel you can choose what's important for you, and have a comprehensive display of everything that matters.

John

The problem with that is the engine lights, wts light, alarms etc won’t work... but I like where your thought process is
Old 10-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

I'm guessing your bus is in the 2003-2005 range? This is right around when they started pulling the lead out of solder to make things RoHS compliant. Places didn't really figure out how to wave solder with lead free solder for a little while. I'd definitely check those solder connections though. That is my inexperienced $0.02. Good luck!
busbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbuild View Post
I'm guessing your bus is in the 2003-2005 range? This is right around when they started pulling the lead out of solder to make things RoHS compliant. Places didn't really figure out how to wave solder with lead free solder for a little while. I'd definitely check those solder connections though. That is my inexperienced $0.02. Good luck!

Great advice, thank you.

Update:
I pulled the cluster last night and resoldered (melted and added a small amount of new modern solder) all the connections on the back.
Everything seems to be working great except the WTS (Wait To Start) light still isn’t illuminating. The fuel gauge came back to life and started working so now I have two fuel gauges 🤣 the factory one and the aftermarket replacement.

I’m pretty current the glow plugs are working fine since it’s 50 degrees F outside and the engine starts instantly. So I have to figure out why the WTS light isn’t coming on... maybe the bulb or the housing. I suppose it should be pretty easy to trace out the connections leading to it and double check them too..
Old 11-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #10

Year: 91
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: 3860
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 44
On my 91 it is the wires going to my gauges.
Old Bones is offline   Reply With Quote