Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 49
Gauge cluster problemS

Iíve been experiencing terrible problems with my gauge cluster, itís intermittent on and off especially on the plug on the right side. My air alarm goes off randomly, my wait to start light no long illuminates etc.

Iím pretty sure the actual cluster is fine (except the fuel gauge which I replaced with and aftermarket one) it appears there is a fault in the plugs or wires near the plugs. If I reach under the dash and move the wires or the cluster while itís in use the light on the air gauge cuts in and out and the gauges act erratically.

Any idea how I could fix this or rebuild the cluster wiring?
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 127
Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
There are companies that will rebuild the gauge clusters on these buses/trucks. Just do some internet searching and you'll come across one.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,142
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The IH gauges are notorious for this. The connections can be re-soldered if you are handy with it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The IH gauges are notorious for this. The connections can be re-soldered if you are handy with it.


I think itís the actual plug, so you mean resolder the wires into the plug?
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
I think itís the actual plug, so you mean resolder the wires into the plug?


Or the board where the female side is?
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 695
Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Or maybe rebuild the entire gauge panel with good-quality separate gauges, such as those by Speedhut or VDO. We even have an International truck at work, and guess what, its gauges are all toast! If you build your own gauge panel you can choose what's important for you, and have a comprehensive display of everything that matters.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Or maybe rebuild the entire gauge panel with good-quality separate gauges, such as those by Speedhut or VDO. We even have an International truck at work, and guess what, its gauges are all toast! If you build your own gauge panel you can choose what's important for you, and have a comprehensive display of everything that matters.

John


The problem with that is the engine lights, wts light, alarms etc wonít work... but I like where your thought process is
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
I'm guessing your bus is in the 2003-2005 range? This is right around when they started pulling the lead out of solder to make things RoHS compliant. Places didn't really figure out how to wave solder with lead free solder for a little while. I'd definitely check those solder connections though. That is my inexperienced $0.02. Good luck!
busbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by busbuild View Post
I'm guessing your bus is in the 2003-2005 range? This is right around when they started pulling the lead out of solder to make things RoHS compliant. Places didn't really figure out how to wave solder with lead free solder for a little while. I'd definitely check those solder connections though. That is my inexperienced $0.02. Good luck!


Great advice, thank you.

Update:
I pulled the cluster last night and resoldered (melted and added a small amount of new modern solder) all the connections on the back.
Everything seems to be working great except the WTS (Wait To Start) light still isnít illuminating. The fuel gauge came back to life and started working so now I have two fuel gauges 🤣 the factory one and the aftermarket replacement.

Iím pretty current the glow plugs are working fine since itís 50 degrees F outside and the engine starts instantly. So I have to figure out why the WTS light isnít coming on... maybe the bulb or the housing. I suppose it should be pretty easy to trace out the connections leading to it and double check them too..
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2
Year: 91
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: 3860
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 44
On my 91 it is the wires going to my gauges.
Old Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.