Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
fresh oil will also help the injectors work properly ,you may also want to run some good injector cleaner as well, if the bus has been sitting
gbstewart
Old 07-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72
as a side note, always carry fuel filters with you, its the first thing to try if you run into any problems.
gbstewart
Old 07-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
also make sure its exactly the correct fuel filter for your engine.. fuel filters come in different degrees of filtration... (microns)... make sure they give you the recommended by manufacturer filter... too small micron and the filter will fail to pas enough fuel after it has been in a short time... too large and it doesnt filter enough cntaminents out..

also watch your temperature and be sure your engine fan fully engages.. you dont want to get that T444 hot!..

I would also only run the new oil for a short time then change it again.. as already mentioned your fuel injection system is tied to having clean oil and good pressure... at the very least if you dont want to fork the expense of an oil change again real soon.. then change the filter after a short time..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #24

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran, IC chassis
Rated Cap: 72, 37'
Possibly normal

I also have a T444E with a Alison 545. and yep its a gutless pig from a stand still. several times if I park in a gravel or dirt lot the vehicle sinks in about 6 inches. When I try to pull away out of the ruts, it will not move. Not enough power, stall, torque what ever. I have to usually rock the bus back then gun it quickly to go forward. Build up a little momentum and she will go. no momentum it just stalls on the torque converter, and builds a lot of heat.

I researched AT643 replacements and here are the problems. if you dont have a core to return when you purchase a rebuilt one, add 1,000 core deposit. the case is a lot longer due to the extra gear so driveshaft length will have to be cut and that can be costly. the bell housing adapter plate will have to be changed, different starter, little wiring modifications but nothing to big. so It all priced out about 5,000-6,000 cost to do all this. The AT5454 as much of a crap trans it is I can replace it twice for the cost of an 643. hope this info helps
pegabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You can buy a new from the factory Allison 2000 series 6 speed, built to your specs for a little over $7K. And the new gens can talk to an all mechanical engine with nothing more than a TPS.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegabus View Post
I also have a T444E with a Alison 545. and yep its a gutless pig from a stand still. several times if I park in a gravel or dirt lot the vehicle sinks in about 6 inches. When I try to pull away out of the ruts, it will not move. Not enough power, stall, torque what ever. I have to usually rock the bus back then gun it quickly to go forward. Build up a little momentum and she will go. no momentum it just stalls on the torque converter, and builds a lot of heat.

I researched AT643 replacements and here are the problems. if you dont have a core to return when you purchase a rebuilt one, add 1,000 core deposit. the case is a lot longer due to the extra gear so driveshaft length will have to be cut and that can be costly. the bell housing adapter plate will have to be changed, different starter, little wiring modifications but nothing to big. so It all priced out about 5,000-6,000 cost to do all this. The AT5454 as much of a crap trans it is I can replace it twice for the cost of an 643. hope this info helps
I've seen nice used 643's for around 700 bucks.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Paid $650 for my MT 643, still have not done anything with it, discovered after I bought it that they came with 3 different torque converters, nor sure which one I have, difference is the torque multiplication ratio in the converter, higher multiplication, better low speed pulling ability
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Mid-bus
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 49?
ok, thanks pegabus for the solidarity on sluggishness, and everyone else for chiming in. Im pretty convinced the trans is ok.

Just got some Transynd for the trans, going to change its fluids and filters tomorrow as well as try to drain the old diesel out of the tank and refill with fresh fuel, and replace coolant as well.

I did get temp tags and had it out on the road for a test drive the other day and it still seems sluggish. Vac/pressure gauge is still showing a significant strain on the fuel system. Where as I remember it normally running between 5 and 10 psi of pressure (it oscillates because of the electric fuel pump i assume?) under load, its now showing a much wider swing... I pulled out the tiny inline screen filter between the primary fuel filter and the electric pump, and to my disappointment it was clean (I was hoping for an easy fix here). I will try disconnecting that primary fuel filters inlet line and blow back to the tank, perhaps the pickup is clogged?

For the fuel filters I used napa 3217 for the water separator and WIX 33817 for the spin on type with the built in cap. Both are rated at 14 micron, when I replaced them the water separator seemed pretty dirty but the second one was clean.

Hoping its just a dirty pickup. will keep yall posted!
Bungeekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Mid-bus
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 49?
Well, did a bunch more on the bus and it still seems to be sluggish. Drained fuel tank and blew back to tank, fuel looked very clean but replaced with new.

Im wondering if it may be some of the electrical injection controls or what else could be making it seem to strain so hard. The fuel pressure/ vacuum guage is still showing a lot of strain. Would the injectors effect this? My experience is tha its usually a clogged fuel filter that causes strain on the fuel system, but with all new correct filters, it makes me wonder what else could contribute to this?

Where its flat ground it seems to eventually get up to speed and hold it, but on hills its a real turd.

Im running out of time as were hoping to move in a week. Hoping for some helpfull suggestions.
Bungeekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just based on what I have read here so far...it still sounds like the tranny to me. ("engine revs but it doesn't go").
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote