Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Help!! After driving from Montana to Texas, bus won't crank.

Not sure what's going on. Just drove bus almost 2000 miles without a hitch. Now, she won't crank. All the relays click, but the starter won't engage.
Starter was replaced less than a year ago, and I just put in 2 new group 31 batteries. All wires and connections look good and tight.

When I turn the key, the yellow "Fuel Filter" light comes on. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Most likely one of a few things. The "Fuel Filter" light may indicate your fuel filter is getting clogged, but it should still allow you to start the engine?

There may be a starter relay under the hood somewhere that has failed/not making connection.
Is the transmission in Neutral? Starter won't turn if it's not. This switch sensing the shifter in neutral can fail or get out of adjustment, you can try wiggling the shifter a bit to see if it will start.

With fresh batteries and a somewhat new starter, it's bound to be something simple.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Have you had it started since you put the new batteries in? Some batteries sit on the shelf so long they ARE NOT FULLY CHARGED when you get them?
If you have a multi-meter check for at least 13-14v on the batteries for starting capacity?
If the batteries are hot then I would stick a screwdriver across the solenoid hot and ground and see if it turns? Could be the solenoid needs a hammer,wrench,tap on it? Which usually means there is a bad connection in the factory solenoid so it will need to be replaced when you get tired of going through the process? Or remove and clean the wires and make sure of good tight connections? Some mechanics don't care enough to put the lock washers on the studs much less care that if they tighten the nut up (the wrench forces everything up)and don't hold the wire down then the eventually thewiring even with the a lock nut is going to vibrate loose because of the weight of the wiring and vibration or if it was torqued so tight it couldn't move then the wiring could be broke down into a 5 strand cable instead of a 12- strand cable?
Just thoughts and ideas?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Sorry, I didn't see brads post cause I was typing mine?
I am used to it now but I have to wiggle my shifter in the neutral position to find the spot where the starter hits at? I blame the neutral safety switch and have yet to find the damn thing on mine? I don't push the shifter button I just wiggle the shifter in neutral till it hits.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
Bus Nut

OK - so batteries checked out OK - tried to jump the starter, but just got a lot of spark, but no cranking. Should I try to replace the filters and water separators and then see what happens?
Its really weird that the fuel filter light only comes on when I turn the key to the start position to try to start the engine. it does not stay on all the time...
Old 10-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
Bus Nut

OK, so here is what happens: I tried to start it in Drive, but obviously it wont. when I shift to neutral, I can now hear the starter solenoid clicking from under the engine (which I can not when in gear) However - It still won't crank. Could I have a bum starter?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
OK, so here is what happens: I tried to start it in Drive, but obviously it wont. when I shift to neutral, I can now hear the starter solenoid clicking from under the engine (which I can not when in gear) However - It still won't crank. Could I have a bum starter?
. . .
. . .
Should I try to replace the filters and water separators and then see what happens?
Its really weird that the fuel filter light only comes on when I turn the key to the start position to try to start the engine. it does not stay on all the time...
You may need new filters (they should be replaced every few thousand miles or so), but I doubt they will be the cause of your starting issue.

Moving the shifter from drive to neutral and hearing the solenoid click is a positive sign, it tells me your neutral safety is working like it should. There may be a starter relay somewhere in the system (It'll have 2 really thick wires going from the battery, to the starter). Not all vehicles will have this, it's built into the starter on some vehicles. If it's getting power but still not spinning, you've either got something locked up (unlikely if it was driven recently) or you have a failed starter relay/solenoid.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

The fuel filter light is activated by a sensor that senses too much suction or not enough flow in the fuel system. It may not sense this when "at rest" but when you try to start the engine, the computer checks the sensor and turns on the light if the threshold is exceeded.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if the motor is locked up you'll hear a definite "clank" and usually a "hum" and pretty quickly smell of hot wires while key is turned...

its possible you have some starter bolts worked loose so the starter isnt getting good ground?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Thanks guys! I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and have a mechanic come over and check it out. I have to be back on the road by Thursday, so I gotta get this fixed. I'll let y'all know.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

John
Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if the motor is locked up you'll hear a definite "clank" and usually a "hum" and pretty quickly smell of hot wires while key is turned...

its possible you have some starter bolts worked loose so the starter isnt getting good ground?
-Christopher
Yep - no hum, clank, or anything. turn the key, one click and silence... frustrating as I'm sure its something stupid easy, just don't have the time to be able to tear into things...

John
Old 10-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
that sounds like a bad starter. Take it off and put power to it. See if it throws the gear forward. If it does that is what also switches the power to the motor. You can probably take it apart clean and lube it and put it back together. A starter is very simple to work on and just few screws. also giving it smack with a hammer can make a sticky brush in the motor drop down and start working again. I like to take them apart when they do this and just lube the brushes in the holder so they slide and wont stick.

This has nothing to do with any fuel filters. separate issue.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Up and running!

It ended up being a bad starter. Pisses me off since I had a remanufactured one installed less than a year ago. Oh well, live and learn. At least I can be back on the road in the morning knowing I now have a brand new starter. Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions!

John