Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Help, DT466 not starting

Here is a video of me trying to start my bus today for my bi-weekly drive around the parking lot:

Bus was purchased and delivered in January and it's been running fine since then. A month ago I had it in to the mechanic's shop and they changed all the fluids and filters, replaced a front shock and the air dryer cartridge and pronounced the bus to be in great shape mechanically. Two weeks ago I started it up (it has always started up immediately for me) and drove it around the lot for a while (I can't drive it legally since it's not registered as anything yet).

Today what you see in the video happened. I don't remember the gauge needles doing that weird spinny thing before, but maybe that's always what it's done.

Any thoughts on what the problem is or what I should do? I don't know anything about bus engines so I will probably have to get my mechanic to make a house call, but maybe there are some simple things I could try. In older cars I would have pumped the gas pedal while trying to start but I have no idea if that's a thing to do here. I also have an ether start button, not sure if I should be thinking about using that.

musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The gauge swing when you turn on the ignition switch is normal.

Our high compression diesel engines require good batteries to start. The sound in the video sounds like low or bad batteries or perhaps a battery cable problem.

I would disconnect the batteries from the bus. Charge them thoroughly and try again.

I would recommend at least 24 hours on a good charger.

If that doesn't resolve the problem then take the batteries to the auto parts store and have them tested. If bad then replace.

If that doesn't work then start looking at battery and ground connections. They should all be CLEAN and secure.

If that doesn't work then ask someone smarter than me There are plenty on this board who qualify
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
X2 on insufficiently charged/bad battery

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 35
Batteries are not being charged enough during your drive to make up for the juice it takes to start, and maybe there is a mystery load on the electric somewhere that is contributing while it's sitting. How old are the batteries?
Evil Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Morty View Post
Batteries are not being charged enough during your drive to make up for the juice it takes to start, and maybe there is a mystery load on the electric somewhere that is contributing while it's sitting. How old are the batteries?
They're the batteries that came with the bus, so vintage unknown. I did not think to have my mechanic check them a month ago.

This is actually a relief to hear, since I was planning to get new batteries anyway. Any tips on removing the batteries safely? Do I just pull out the tray and take off the connectors, or is there stuff I should do to prepare the bus for this?
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Morty View Post
Every bus that I have tinkered with, with an electronic engine, has had a parasitic drain on the battery.

It is a good practice to turn off you battery disconnect or remove one of the battery cables when you are going to park for a while. Also consider that the batteries will ",self discharge over time even if disconnected.

A battery maintaner is a good investment. It will save you some headache and extend the life of your batteries.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They're the batteries that came with the bus, so vintage unknown. I did not think to have my mechanic check them a month ago.

This is actually a relief to hear, since I was planning to get new batteries anyway. Any tips on removing the batteries safely? Do I just pull out the tray and take off the connectors, or is there stuff I should do to prepare the bus for this?
Just pull them out in the war you would any car battery. Disconnect negative cables and then positive cables. Reverse for installation. Don’t smoke or have any metal on your hands or hanging off your neck.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote