Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
Question how long is a 25 passenger bus

Hi,
I'm looking at a 1997 bus, Its a 25 passenger carpenter body on a international 3800 chassis. The inside picture looks like 6 rows of seats and 1 for driver.
Does anyone know how long bumper-bumper.

also,
They also say it runs fine but wont stop running. Could that be an easy fix and what might be the problem?
Thanks
al

alpinekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
We need way more information that what you are giving. Lengths vary depending on body style. need engine type, trans, what do you mean by won't stop running? These are questions you need to ask the seller.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 42
It should be about 23 ft.

My 1800 bus has a pull knob to kill the engine and we used to have an old Mercedes that would keep running if it lost vacuum pressure. That is the extent of my won’t turn off knowledge. ��
evathedefiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If it is a mechanical engine (not computer controlled) I would start looking for a fuel cutoff solenoid.

A diesel engine does not have an ignition system like a gas engine. Run/stop is controlled by turning the fuel supply on and off.

I had the same issue on a Detroit powered bus several years ago. The fuel solenoid was stuck in the open position.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
I just bought a 14 passenger 99 international 3800 bluebird. I need to measure it but 21ish feet sounds about right. It is 12ft 8inch wheelbase between the axles. I also just bought a govdeal bus, the batteries were stolen out of it, the wiring was a mess and I had a leaking coolant hose and drove the bus from nearly Mexico back to Florida 1400 miles away. If you are into sadistic challenges this was up there for me. But I am so glad I found such a badass shorty. I can fill up at normal gas stations, make easy uturns and maneuver anywhere a big pickup can. It's just wide.
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Skoolie

thanks for the clue, its T444e; im told the e implies electronic control. But I guess it still could be a fuel soloid not accepting the command from the computer.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Skoolie

thanks for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by evathedefiler View Post
It should be about 23 ft.

My 1800 bus has a pull knob to kill the engine and we used to have an old Mercedes that would keep running if it lost vacuum pressure. That is the extent of my won’t turn off knowledge. ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyed View Post
I just bought a 14 passenger 99 international 3800 bluebird. I need to measure it but 21ish feet sounds about right. It is 12ft 8inch wheelbase between the axles. I also just bought a govdeal bus, the batteries were stolen out of it, the wiring was a mess and I had a leaking coolant hose and drove the bus from nearly Mexico back to Florida 1400 miles away. If you are into sadistic challenges this was up there for me. But I am so glad I found such a badass shorty. I can fill up at normal gas stations, make easy uturns and maneuver anywhere a big pickup can. It's just wide.
wow, I didnt even know they put such a short body on a 3800 chassis. that gives me hope. Im looking for something less than 25ft bumper to bumper. I would like the inside to be longer that 14. I'm thinking I like the truck bed because of the few van chassis I've seen, the engine is really shoe horned in and I cannt even image how i would work on it.

The 23ft guess would be perfect.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sounds like a T-444E with the auto shutdown timer turned on in the computer or a stuck power relay.

diesel engines should be left to run a few minutes after you drive them at highway speeds.. and then turned off.. the 444E doesnt have a fuel solenoid.. the computer runs the engine.. there is a programmable parameter that makes thje engine run for 'x' number of minutes after the key is turned off...

you may also have a stuck power-relay, which would mean the computer doesnt know the key was turned off and the engine would continue to run until the fuse was pulled for the computer...

length - 6 rows of seats? how many windows down the side? my 7 window carpenter is just about 25 feet long..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekid View Post
wow, I didnt even know they put such a short body on a 3800 chassis. that gives me hope. Im looking for something less than 25ft bumper to bumper. I would like the inside to be longer that 14. I'm thinking I like the truck bed because of the few van chassis I've seen, the engine is really shoe horned in and I cannt even image how i would work on it.

The 23ft guess would be perfect.
my bluebird is a 6 window and is just about 22 and a half feet long.. its on a 3800 chassis with a 444E. that bus incidently will turn around in a sharper space than my Dodge 1500 Crew cab short box pickup

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekid View Post
Hi,
I'm looking at a 1997 bus, Its a 25 passenger carpenter body on a international 3800 chassis. The inside picture looks like 6 rows of seats and 1 for driver.
Does anyone know how long bumper-bumper.

also,
They also say it runs fine but wont stop running. Could that be an easy fix and what might be the problem?
Thanks
al
Going by "passenger number" is sometimes ambiguous, since wheelchair stations will delete a variable number of seating positions. A better way to estimate length is to allow approx. 2.5 ft per window.....I've seen buses exactly like mine listed as "14 passenger, 3 wheelchair stations".

Mine's a 34 passenger 3800.......15 ft from back of driver's seat to rear door, 18 ft from rear door to windshield, 24 ft bumper-to-bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
24 ft.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international 3800, length