Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I run all muy software in virtual machines and typically off-line mode.. I do run NavKal in online mode as it gives me firmware updates for ECMs. and the ability to use later-model firmware on my ECMs if i choose to..

I'll look and see if I can snare some Cat MD software..

ECCB - a virtual machione is like a computer inside a computer.. so you click an icon like its a program and it opens up a whole other version of windows in a window on your desktop... its advantage is that you can save a copy of a virtual machione on a USB stick like its a program.. if you get a virus on the VM, you delete it and load the saved version.. plus you can keep that VM from "talking" to the internet so it is immune from internet viruses..

in the case of diesel engine software, some of it tries to "phone home" and will disable itself.. however many programs have an "offline mode" that allows them to run fine.. assuming that the service tech might be in the field where internet is not available.. by telling your VM not to talk to the internet, this software will run thinking theres no internet and wont auto-disable... some of it has time limits where it only runs 30 or 60 days from the first time it was used.. again with the VM concept, once it "dies" you load the saved copy of your VM from the USB stick and bang you get a new "lease on life" for that software...
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #22
Skoolie

Is this the ABS controller?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3965.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	28731Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3966.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	28732
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #23
Bus Geek

kind of looks like it.. im not familiar enough with air ABS to know much about them... MOST ABS light issues are related to wheel speed sensors.. some of the controllers have a way of reading out their codes.. the nicer ones actually show up on the J1708 / J1939 data bus and show their codes in an engine diag scan tool..
-Christopher
Old 01-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
Is this the ABS controller?Attachment 28731Attachment 28732
No, that looks like the treadle valve which is what the brake pedal actuates. Where is that in relation to the bus?

The control module location will depend on the year of the bus. On older front engined bluebirds they were located in front of the rear axle above the driveshaft. I've never worked on an amtran or an RE so I couldn't tell you on those. Maybe cowlitz would know.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: 40 foot
Engine: DT466HT 230 HP / 660 FP
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Christopher,

What brand interface do you have and how much did you pay for it. I plan on being nomad in a couple of years and having diagnostic capabilities could save a lot of money and frustration somewhere down the road. Would I be able to turn on the 6th gear in my Allison MD3060?

TIA, Bob
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Probably all old versions but shouldn't matter much for skoolie folks. More concerned about virus checking them, I'd run in a virtual machine for sure.
Right on both accounts. I had one of those kits a couple years ago. I kinda anticipated when I bought it that it was going to be cracked software etc, and when it arrived, that's exactly what it was. I ended up sending it back.

If a virtual machine is out of reach then use a dedicated laptop. Buy something cheap enough to throw away, don't connect it to any networks, and don't use it for anything else. If you think the spying/tracking done by Facebook and ad networks is bad, the key loggers, data collection, and other mischief that comes along with that cracked software will astound. You can't expect to just uninstall it when you're done.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:33 PM   #27

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT444E
Rated Cap: 35
Cadillackid!
Chris

I have a 1996 international 3800 Thomas 6 window T444 /545 handicap Skoolie/ Motobus that I’d like the cruise enabled
I’m in Southern Indiana (Palmyra) near Louisville Ky

I didn’t know if you knew someone that had the program in my area
JuicyButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:03 PM   #28

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT444E
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
yeppers the others have it right, its an option most often disabled by the schools and easy to turn on... post where you sre at, there may be a fellow skoolie with the compouter interface nearby.. navistar gives away the Level 1 version of the software (servicemaxx J170 which you can enable it yourself, however you need the RP1210 interface box which is not cheap (even the knock-offs)..

finding someone to turn it on for you is likely the easiest for you unless you want to own the scan tools for future diagnosis and such
-Christopher
I’d love to find someone to help turning our cruise on
I’ve installed a hydra viper chip for traveling to and from Casey Illinois on weekend with the granddaughter racing there
JuicyButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:12 PM   #29
Bus Geek

if the cruise buttons are there its an easy change.. I dont know anyone near lousiville with a Nexiq device.. I have the device (and the navistar software is free) to do it.. if you know someone wit hthe devicew you can download the Servicemaxx software fron snap-on for free
Old 09-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Don'
Coachwork: Don't have one yet
Chassis: Don't have one yet
Engine: Don't have one yet
Rated Cap: Don't have one yet
I’m currently in Hershey pa. Have 2008 blue bird vision with CAT C7. I have cruise controls settings but it doesn’t work. How can I tell if its enabled in the software?

Thanks

Mark
MarkCHI is offline   Reply With Quote