Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The only "right way" is to go by the manufacturers' specs for oil type & change schedule. Not
saying other ways won't work, but...
indeed I do that.. in fact jasper was nice and provided me the maintenance schedule they recommend for the engine..

interestiung that the person I talked to likes Dino oil better than synthetics.. even though tons of people run synthetics..

he recommended standard rotella T 15W-40 which what everyone else has mentioned a good diesel oil is..

I ordered a blackstone kit and will send a sample in and get a decent battery of tests to learn all i can...

to me knowledge cant hurt...

this bus project has been a lot of learning for me.. therefore making it more fun...

my old bus was quite familair as everything it had was just like a hotrod chevy big block car which ive seen and worked on many before...

in that bus the tranny was the only unknown.. and it worked so i never touched it...

I also never put many miles on that bus ... I think ive already put more oin this one in the 3 months ive had it than I did on that other one in 6 years..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

Keep in mind that this is a machine and a machine is not a living thing. If there is a leak, it is a leak. Fix it! There are test that you can run yourself or have a qualified diesel mechanic do it. These test will tell you about compression, electronics, and the cooling system. Learn how to run these test or pay the truck shop. Although I am not a full time truck mechanic, I have tooled around enough cars and trucks to learn one thing...learn how it works and then I learned how to fix it. Don't fear the machine, learn how it works. Diesel Engines are actually quite simple to operate. They do not like to be overheated so maintenance is crucial to its operation. They are very durable if you pay attention to the maintenance. I see too many people fearing the MACHINE because they don't take the time to understand it. Get on the internet, get some books, visit some truck shops and get rid of that fear! Please excuse me for putting in my two cents!
theorganloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
interestiung that the person I talked to likes Dino oil better than synthetics.. even though tons of people run synthetics..

he recommended standard rotella T 15W-40 which what everyone else has mentioned a good diesel oil is..
-Christopher
I know an excellent mechanic who once told me that synthetics are no better than conventional oil. The synthetics just allow you to go longer between oil changes. I'd enjoy hearing what others think on this forum about that.

I've also heard that Shell Rotella is a great oil to use.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
I know an excellent mechanic who once told me that synthetics are no better than conventional oil. The synthetics just allow you to go longer between oil changes. I'd enjoy hearing what others think on this forum about that.

I've also heard that Shell Rotella is a great oil to use.
You got it right. They're simply made to go longer in between changes. They do have better resistance to wear and are more stable.
Dino is definitely better for breaking in a brand new engine.
The only car I've ever had that came from the factory with synthetic oil burns that oil at a rate of 1 quart per thousand miles or so. Maybe just a coincidence, idk.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I know it's odd but i prefer Rotella regular.

The onoy experience i had with synthetic was that it made EVERY gasket in my Nissan leak. It's super lubri and small mollecule, i get it, and i bet if i owned a high performance machine i would see the difference in friction temp and power...

but i rarely break the speed limit and since i started putting Shell rotella in the GMC truck... its actually stopped leaking oil and seems to have better power. Magic sorcery? ...yea probably . curmudgeon set in his way and afraid of change? for certain. What's the topic?

I always judge the condition of a motor by how long the oil stays clean and how it pulls when i give it gas.

PS i am meticulous about checking the oil. Often every few drives, and oil rarely sees its exp date before i change it. I just like changing the oil. Makes me feel like i took the gal out for a night on the town, and spoiled her.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:27 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Im happy with the AT545...........
ntrain6942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:33 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I have a question............on a 97 mechanical dt466.......on way home from purchasing mine......going up a hill at highway speed......towards the top of hill the engine valves got noisy..........i realized the temp gauge was north of 230........on way down hill the engine quieted down n temps dropped into the 190-210 range..........had bout 15-20 miles till home.......engine remained relatively quiet(but i felt it was still a bit noisier)........when i got home i looked and the antifreeze reservoir appears dry..........did i do any damage? Not sure how low antifreeze is yet..........power feels same.........going to top off though.........possibly flush? And i read where i need special green fluid? And ph check?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:05 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6942 View Post
I have a question............on a 97 mechanical dt466.......on way home from purchasing mine......going up a hill at highway speed......towards the top of hill the engine valves got noisy..........i realized the temp gauge was north of 230........on way down hill the engine quieted down n temps dropped into the 190-210 range..........had bout 15-20 miles till home.......engine remained relatively quiet(but i felt it was still a bit noisier)........when i got home i looked and the antifreeze reservoir appears dry..........did i do any damage? Not sure how low antifreeze is yet..........power feels same.........going to top off though.........possibly flush? And i read where i need special green fluid? And ph check?
I'm not sure what the temperature "redline" is on that engine, but there's a good chance you're OK ... check the oil and make sure there's no coolant in it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

No coolant in the oil.........
Old 08-23-2016, 03:05 AM   #20

They get hot pulling that weight but you cooling system should be able to cool it down. You must check it before every drive and during long drives. Look for obstructions in front of the Radiator, especially leaves and debris. Don't overheat a diesel. Bad news! If you are a good mechanic, you can change the head gasket yourself on the DT466. The engine is also sleeved so you can rebuild the engine in the chassis on a dog-nosed bus or a flat nose with the engine in the front. Rear-engine (pushers) you may be in trouble. There is not enough clearance to work underneath the bus.
theorganloft is offline   Reply With Quote