Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
230 on a DT466 is or can be bad news.. you often end up with all your coolant in the oil because the O-rings between the cylinder sleeves and the coolant jacket warp or melt...

my guess is your engine got noisy because you diluted your oil with coolant.. who knows if you have damaged the bearings or not.. but its time to definitely drain the oil and see if you get coolant.. if you do, change it all out, fill it back up with new oil and coolant (you need a coolant with SCA included or an SCA additive to your coolant..

then drive it and see if you lose coolant or your il level goes UP...

it definitely didnt do it any favors but you may not have destroyed it..

now onto why it got hot.. check your fan!! I dont know what kind of bus you have or your fan clutch type.. but I do know when I got my bus my fan clutch was bad.. my temp would go up to 212 and my fan still wasnt spinning very fast..

once I changed the fan clutch now I get up to 185 and my fan sounds like a jet engine and the bus even pulling hills in 95 degree heat never goes above 185-190..
(I have a DT-360 which is the little brother to the DT-466)..

hopefully you didnt damage your DT-466 but I definitely wouldnt be running it until you figure out what caused the issue and if any damage has been done... you are looking at 7-10k if you have to rebuild one of those completely and have it done at a shop.

-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6942 View Post
Im happy with the AT545...........

I just got back from another succesful 2400 mile road trip in mine with an AT545.. works just fine for me.. and arguably I do have a smaller bus which may make a difference..

-Christopher
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
230 on a DT466 is or can be bad news.. you often end up with all your coolant in the oil because the O-rings between the cylinder sleeves and the coolant jacket warp or melt...

my guess is your engine got noisy because you diluted your oil with coolant.. who knows if you have damaged the bearings or not.. but its time to definitely drain the oil and see if you get coolant.. if you do, change it all out, fill it back up with new oil and coolant (you need a coolant with SCA included or an SCA additive to your coolant..

then drive it and see if you lose coolant or your il level goes UP...

it definitely didnt do it any favors but you may not have destroyed it..

now onto why it got hot.. check your fan!! I dont know what kind of bus you have or your fan clutch type.. but I do know when I got my bus my fan clutch was bad.. my temp would go up to 212 and my fan still wasnt spinning very fast..

once I changed the fan clutch now I get up to 185 and my fan sounds like a jet engine and the bus even pulling hills in 95 degree heat never goes above 185-190..
(I have a DT-360 which is the little brother to the DT-466)..

hopefully you didnt damage your DT-466 but I definitely wouldnt be running it until you figure out what caused the issue and if any damage has been done... you are looking at 7-10k if you have to rebuild one of those completely and have it done at a shop.

-Christopher
It happened on the way up a very LONG hill at highway speeds..........The fan clutch is hydraulic..........there is no coolant in the oil...........I also thought the coolant level was low, but the overflow bottle on side of bus isn't see thru(black line on outside says cold fill point........looked empty from outside, but it wasn't actually), but I do know its time to change the coolant...........last person never did. The oil is freshly changed as is the transmission fluid and all the filters as well(even the coolant water separator filter). Sooooooo...................if any work does need to be done it will be done by myself and a friend who is a diesel mechanic..............I'm a mechanic as well, just do mostly passenger gas vehicles..........brakes and suspension stuff.......

Anyway, the temp gauge said 230plus......im guessing the engine leaned out as it got hot.............again happened at the top of the hill and going real noisy for about 15-30 seconds.........cooled off and quieted down quickly afterwards..........
ntrain6942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think you'll be fine, something similar happened to me early in my 800 mile return trip and my bus is fine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
Bus Geek

sounds like your engine pulled through!. though surely at that temperature you shouldve had that fan roaring regardless of whether the clutch is hydraulic, viscous, or air... if it wasnt, i would check into why it wasnt.. if it was then definitely clean the radiator fins and maybe flush the cooling system...

trucks and busses pull long hills full throttle all the time and dont run hot when normal.

-Christopher