Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Joel Munoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 17
I need some help guys

Good morning/afternoon(depending on your time zone)! I am looking at an govdeals auction on multiple 2004 International 3000 72 passenger school buses with 7.6L.. The best part is that they are being auctioned off by the county that i live in so i can go check them out. I also work at a Ford dealership that has a heavy truck tech with 35 years experience so i can bring him with me.

Here's where i'm confused, from what i'm reading this buss will have a dt466 engine. But it seems like it's a cross-over year for the turbo and injection design. Is there anything to worry about if it has one style or the other?

Here's what i could find.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...vistar_engines

these are the buses
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...301&acctid=274

Thanks in advance buds
Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 501
That new i would think DT466E engine.
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
For a 2004 model year, it's probably the HEUI engine. But crossover years are unpredictable... Either way, you should be fine. I've heard no horror stories about either HEUI or G2 engines. With only 88k miles and proper maintenance, the engine is barely broken in. If it were me, I'd try to get a complete build sheet, using the VIN in the photos, before going to see them in person.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Carytowncat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 909
Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
What a great way to catch a gov deal, and especially having a heavy equip tech friend. A reminder to Buy that friend a good lunch, or dinner!

Good luck, excited for you.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Joel Munoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 17
Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to call up there and talk to them today to see why they are getting rid of them with such low miles(one only has appox 65k miles!). The highest mileage one has 155k miles. In my experience with medium duty diesels the low mileage is actually NOT good because the variable turbos get seized up from lack of use. Diesels are meant to work, not putt around or be a grocery getter. That being said, i don't know if i should get the lower mileage one or not.

Also, i was wondering if there is a notification for when someone comments on a thread you started. I keep having to go back into my thread to check.
Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,776
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Munoz View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to call up there and talk to them today to see why they are getting rid of them with such low miles(one only has appox 65k miles!). The highest mileage one has 155k miles. In my experience with medium duty diesels the low mileage is actually NOT good because the variable turbos get seized up from lack of use. Diesels are meant to work, not putt around or be a grocery getter. That being said, i don't know if i should get the lower mileage one or not.

Also, i was wondering if there is a notification for when someone comments on a thread you started. I keep having to go back into my thread to check.
The site's notifications have been jacked for a long time. I get them for EVERY thread I reply to, then they stop for a while then randomly they bomb my inbox.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Joel Munoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The site's notifications have been jacked for a long time. I get them for EVERY thread I reply to, then they stop for a while then randomly they bomb my inbox.
Funny enough, i got an email that you had responded

Update: they just posted about six more buses. These are 1997 International buses. I called and spoke to them and they said they have all been sitting a year but they crank and run. The county just stops getting $$ once the fleet gets to be 10 yrs old. Wish me luck!
Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Joel Munoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
What a great way to catch a gov deal, and especially having a heavy equip tech friend. A reminder to Buy that friend a good lunch, or dinner!

Good luck, excited for you.
I have been lurking govdeals like a fiend for a few years now. Not specifically for buses(until now). There is so much cool stuff on there.
Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Joel Munoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
For a 2004 model year, it's probably the HEUI engine. But crossover years are unpredictable... Either way, you should be fine. I've heard no horror stories about either HEUI or G2 engines. With only 88k miles and proper maintenance, the engine is barely broken in. If it were me, I'd try to get a complete build sheet, using the VIN in the photos, before going to see them in person.

Good luck!
Thanks for the sound advice! I'll be sure to do that
Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
I just won bidding on a '02 Conv 6 window w/6 windows. The 7.3 should give plenty of power being only about 1/2 normal length compared to most w/9-12 Windows. I obviously wish it had the 466 but it being an '02 means it's probably over 230 hp
BogistJoeSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.