Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

I need some help guys

Good morning/afternoon(depending on your time zone)! I am looking at an govdeals auction on multiple 2004 International 3000 72 passenger school buses with 7.6L.. The best part is that they are being auctioned off by the county that i live in so i can go check them out. I also work at a Ford dealership that has a heavy truck tech with 35 years experience so i can bring him with me.

Here's where i'm confused, from what i'm reading this buss will have a dt466 engine. But it seems like it's a cross-over year for the turbo and injection design. Is there anything to worry about if it has one style or the other?

Here's what i could find.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...vistar_engines

these are the buses
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...301&acctid=274

Thanks in advance buds

Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

That new i would think DT466E engine.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

For a 2004 model year, it's probably the HEUI engine. But crossover years are unpredictable... Either way, you should be fine. I've heard no horror stories about either HEUI or G2 engines. With only 88k miles and proper maintenance, the engine is barely broken in. If it were me, I'd try to get a complete build sheet, using the VIN in the photos, before going to see them in person.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
What a great way to catch a gov deal, and especially having a heavy equip tech friend. A reminder to Buy that friend a good lunch, or dinner!

Good luck, excited for you.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to call up there and talk to them today to see why they are getting rid of them with such low miles(one only has appox 65k miles!). The highest mileage one has 155k miles. In my experience with medium duty diesels the low mileage is actually NOT good because the variable turbos get seized up from lack of use. Diesels are meant to work, not putt around or be a grocery getter. That being said, i don't know if i should get the lower mileage one or not.

Also, i was wondering if there is a notification for when someone comments on a thread you started. I keep having to go back into my thread to check.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Munoz View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to call up there and talk to them today to see why they are getting rid of them with such low miles(one only has appox 65k miles!). The highest mileage one has 155k miles. In my experience with medium duty diesels the low mileage is actually NOT good because the variable turbos get seized up from lack of use. Diesels are meant to work, not putt around or be a grocery getter. That being said, i don't know if i should get the lower mileage one or not.

Also, i was wondering if there is a notification for when someone comments on a thread you started. I keep having to go back into my thread to check.
The site's notifications have been jacked for a long time. I get them for EVERY thread I reply to, then they stop for a while then randomly they bomb my inbox.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The site's notifications have been jacked for a long time. I get them for EVERY thread I reply to, then they stop for a while then randomly they bomb my inbox.
Funny enough, i got an email that you had responded

Update: they just posted about six more buses. These are 1997 International buses. I called and spoke to them and they said they have all been sitting a year but they crank and run. The county just stops getting $$ once the fleet gets to be 10 yrs old. Wish me luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
What a great way to catch a gov deal, and especially having a heavy equip tech friend. A reminder to Buy that friend a good lunch, or dinner!

Good luck, excited for you.
I have been lurking govdeals like a fiend for a few years now. Not specifically for buses(until now). There is so much cool stuff on there.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
For a 2004 model year, it's probably the HEUI engine. But crossover years are unpredictable... Either way, you should be fine. I've heard no horror stories about either HEUI or G2 engines. With only 88k miles and proper maintenance, the engine is barely broken in. If it were me, I'd try to get a complete build sheet, using the VIN in the photos, before going to see them in person.

Good luck!
Thanks for the sound advice! I'll be sure to do that
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I just won bidding on a '02 Conv 6 window w/6 windows. The 7.3 should give plenty of power being only about 1/2 normal length compared to most w/9-12 Windows. I obviously wish it had the 466 but it being an '02 means it's probably over 230 hp
BogistJoeSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

I gave up
Old 07-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
175-190 hp is most likely.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote