Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

I'm the market for a bus.

I have come across a 2000 International 71 Passenger 3800 T444E-Diesel Miles: 142,470. From the pictures it looks in good shape. The main reason I like it is cause it has a 5 speed manual Spicer. I'm a truck driver so I like my manuals. I just wish I could see the bus in person before I start bidding as its 500 miles away. It will be used to live in full time in about a year or so and be used for camping trips through out the year. Any input good or bad on this bus? I'm not too familiar with the engine as the only ones I have been around are Cummins, Cat and DD in my rigs.

BusHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusHippie View Post
I have come across a 2000 International 71 Passenger 3800 T444E-Diesel Miles: 142,470. From the pictures it looks in good shape. The main reason I like it is cause it has a 5 speed manual Spicer. I'm a truck driver so I like my manuals. I just wish I could see the bus in person before I start bidding as its 500 miles away. It will be used to live in full time in about a year or so and be used for camping trips through out the year. Any input good or bad on this bus? I'm not too familiar with the engine as the only ones I have been around are Cummins, Cat and DD in my rigs.
The 444E is the Ford/International 7.3L turbodiesel in the pre-'03 Ford pick-up trucks. Reliable engine, tough. Tranny is probably a Spicer, I doubt it's an Eaton-Fuller (my personal favorite - namely the 13-over EF). Without pics, it's difficult to give an honest assessment about the bus. In addition, location is important as well. Is it in the rust belt, mountains, desert, coast? That will also help determine body condition and give an idea about the condition of parts, i.e. rusted bolts, et. al.

Just my 2 cents....

M1031
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

It's in West Virginia. Here is a link. The pictures are too big to post. Public Surplus: Auction #1412061
BusHippie is offline   Reply With Quote