Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you can rent an engine hoist from sunbelt rentals that will have enough boom length to get the head off.

1. the bonnett comes off easily with a few cotter pins and two pins at the bottom, once thats gone you have a more clear view.

2. take your radiator / turbo cooler assembly out as a unit with said hoist.. no need to disassemble it.

3. now you have full access to the front of the engine. and can see things really clear now.. the head can be hoisted out once you disconnect it..

** BE CAREFUL ** of the electronics.. the harness connectors inside the valve for the injectors are known to get brittle over time.. and pay close attention to how the harnesses are routed.. you may be able to unplug it externally.. but its a GOOD IDEA to get the head checked and worked while its off.. at a minimum you want it refinished to make sure its completely flat. and will seat properly against the new head gasket.

see ifyou may be able to rent a sleeve puller.. its amazing what tools these rental companies like sunbelt rentals have these days.

clean-clean-clean!!! - cleaning any mating surfaces for liner seals, head gaskets, engine gaskets, etc are KEY to success!

The Oil / Water light only comes on if you reach a temperature of 235 degrees or oil pressure drops below 5 PSI for 5 seconds. if you lost oil pressure your HPOP wouldve run dry and the engine would shut down. sounds to me like maybe your thermostat stuck?, you over-temped and dumped the coolant..
only takes ONCE with these engines sometimes.. but if the liners were that close to going out, its probably a good thing it happened now and not 500 miles away from home.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
So I have been snooping around for material and found the book that this guy wrote through amazon, facebook, and finally his blog. I'm going to check it out but it may be a pretty good resource for skoolies with DT's.
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Time for an update! This is where the bus was perched. As you can see it's not ideal for engine work.

Step 1 get the wheel with the busted tire off.

Then I had to locate a spare or purchase a new tire. After a few weeks of searching and trying to get the tow company to reimburse me for new rubber I found a matching tire and rim for $100. I jumped on that and installed it same day. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of that process. All 6 of my tires are matching 265/75 r 22.5 and it was pretty hard to find one.

Another thing that I had done to make the move easier was tap into my bus air tank so I could use my tiny little air compressor to charge my tanks. This meant I could release the e-brake without caging and use the brake pedal at will. This eased all our minds considering how much weight we had rolling down hills. Its good to maintain some semblance of control right?

Stay tuned for the exciting pictures and videos of us rolling a bus down a hill while executing a hard right hand turn whilst under no power!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I give you huge props for doing this job yourself. It will be a learning experience and save you tons of money. I am concerned about the concrete blocks holding the weight of that bus. I won't even use concrete as a stand on a passenger car let alone a bus. Please be careful.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I give you huge props for doing this job yourself. It will be a learning experience and save you tons of money. I am concerned about the concrete blocks holding the weight of that bus. I won't even use concrete as a stand on a passenger car let alone a bus. Please be careful.
Railroad ties are great supports. Cut them to convenient lengths.

Concrete blocks can crumble.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
Bus Geek

good deal loving to watch this build... you can rebuild that engine.. things are heavy.. take your time and dont skimp on cleaning up the parts.. ie the head end engine block surfaces.. use assembly lube putting bearings in, rent a sleeve puller to pull and install the sleeves... be sure to keep your pistons / sleeves/ rings , etc matched as they come in the in-frame rebuild kit..
read.. and again, take your time.. you got this one..

and yeah support that a little better than with some rocks and such..
-Christopher
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah I hear ya on the concrete blocks, I wasn't too keen on that idea either. Luckily the bus wasn't resting on them long and they were the only thing that could hold up to the weight. I have some old rr timbers that look like pancakes now though.

The real fun can be seen in the video link below!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xxLbneg8LSOshiBo1

Now she is in her resting place while we work on the engine.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
MUCH better (and safer) work surface.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
Bus Geek

great idea on the tent!! i shouldve done that when I had the front clip torn apart on my bus..

pull that bonnet off, it will make life MUCH-OO easier to work,, and its easy to take off too..
-Christopher
Old 11-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
You guys keep up the great work, and please post as many pics as you can. This is a good thread to follow along!