Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #241

Year: 2002
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
No. It's a license the shop purchases. I'm not sharing it.

Either buy your own, or buy one of the hacked versions off the internet.
I completely understand, I didn't know if you had a hacked version.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Aren’t the stock 2600 rpm head gaskets only good for about 28 psi ? I’m getting up to 22-23 now with stock sticks and 250 ECM setting. If I wastegate that’s just wasted boost? I really need boost at lower rpms to keep EGT in check under heavier engine load factors ..
If your not gated what's keeping your boost from going through the roof when you pull a steep grade? I've heard it can climb with the extra load but im pretty green on diesels so I could have gotten false info. Do we know if the ecm is defueling at a certain boost level?
Old 03-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #243
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I've always felt boost doesn't blow gaskets, exhaust back pressure does.

I've always been told it was the 30 psi rule, but the difference between 28 and 30 isn't large. Just because you're at 27 doesn't mean your safe. I believe that limit was really only for stock turbos, because to get to 30 psi, the turbo is pretty inefficient at that point and your back pressure and egt's are through the roof. I've replaced gaskets on trucks with "mild" tunes before that weren't over 28 psi, so I'm not sure if I believe a specific boost limit number.

IMO if you get a better turbo that's more efficient at higher boost, then you won't have to worry so much about gaskets. Granted, with turbo upgrades we usually swap in studs at the same time anyways, so maybe 28/30 psi is the limit for bolts, I've never tried large boost numbers on bolts.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #244
Bus Geek

Let alone the intercooler is likely no longer doing it's job very well either. So if you're wanting big HP, go with a better intercooler as well.

And a pyrometer is always necessary when going past stock power levels.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #245
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad812 View Post
If your not gated what's keeping your boost from going through the roof when you pull a steep grade? I've heard it can climb with the extra load but im pretty green on diesels so I could have gotten false info. Do we know if the ecm is defueling at a certain boost level?

up until 2002.5 the only 444E that came withy a wastegate was the high torque version.. the HT versions used a smaller GT37 instead of a GTP38. which wasnt rated for as high of boost so they gated it off about 17-19

I hgavent found any evidence navistar defuels liek the fords do.. I fooled my boost sensor and my fuel rate was the same woith and without..

the boost will only go off the scale if the engine makes enough to exhaust to spin the compressor fast enough to overtake the amount of air being taken in by the motor ..

my only question about gates is what good does a big turbo do if you wastegate boost at only a small amount over a smaller turbo's maximum before the gate pressure..

big turbos spool slower. little turbos dont make much boost.. it seems to me a perfect turbo would be one that maxxes out boost on WOT right before the gate opens?

someone enlighten me
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #246
Bus Geek

A wastegate isn't wasted boost, it's there to keep the turbo from overspeeding and exhaust back pressure down on a smaller housing. The smaller exhaust housing is necessary for low rpm boosting.

In fixed hp/load engines, a wastegate isn't necessary. You can size the turbo accordingly to give you the characteristics that you want. It's only when the turbo has to create boost over wide load/rpm range that a waste gate is needed.

Modern turbos use vgt exhaust housings to get wide load/rpm operation. They're more efficient then a wastegated turbo, but not as reliable in my experience.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #247
Bus Geek

Quote:
up until 2002.5 the only 444E that came withy a wastegate was the high torque version.. the HT versions used a smaller GT37 instead of a GTP38. which wasnt rated for as high of boost so they gated it off about 17-19

I hgavent found any evidence navistar defuels liek the fords do.. I fooled my boost sensor and my fuel rate was the same woith and without..

the boost will only go off the scale if the engine makes enough to exhaust to spin the compressor fast enough to overtake the amount of air being taken in by the motor ..

my only question about gates is what good does a big turbo do if you wastegate boost at only a small amount over a smaller turbo's maximum before the gate pressure..

big turbos spool slower. little turbos dont make much boost.. it seems to me a perfect turbo would be one that maxxes out boost on WOT right before the gate opens?

someone enlighten me
Big compressors spool fast if the turbine is small. The problem is the small turbine then chokes off the engine, hence the wastegate to relieve the excess exhaust pressure. If you couple a small turbine with a small compressor, you're limited to a low amount of boost over the whole rpm range, because the compressor becomes inefficient past a certain point. If you install a large turbine with a large compressor, you have a turbo that flounders in the low rpm range, and then gives you a large number in the high range.

A large compressor with a smaller turbine with a wastegate can give you low rpm boost, along with high rpm boost.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #248
Bus Geek

great explanation.. so the fact stock 444E turbos are 1.0 on both turbine and compressor is how they got away with no gate.. adequete boost for lower HP application and not too much backpressure..

the popular .85 AR turbine and 1.15 AR comopressor with a gate woulkd give you quicker spool up and better low end boost yet you could gate it at a point where you have near complete combustion as opposed to make a ton of boost that ends up in unneeded air?

im assuming you set the boost gate based on an AFR reading?
Old 03-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #249
Bus Geek

AR is a ratio, so it kinda gives you sizing, but it doesn't exactly do that. It's better to use wheel sizes with the ar of the housing to get a real picture of turbine or compressor size. The reason for that is you can have multiple turbos with the same ratio, but different sized wheels, and therefore different airflow amounts.

With the .85 turbine and 1.15 compressor, you'd have a turbo that would boost earlier then something with a 1:1. But the .85 turbine would become a restriction at higher rpm/airflow. So you'd need either an internal or external wastegate to bleed exhaust pressure and keep speeds in check.

You set the wastegate based off engine size and the compressor map. Basically to keep the boost in the efficiency island. If you leave the island, whether by more psi or more volume, the process becomes less efficient, and your air density drops.

More boost isn't always better, which is why you can see gains with modern turbos, even if they're similarly sized as what you're replacing. That's because they're more efficient at flowing air. That's the same way wicked wheels function, their wheel design is more efficient.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #250
Bus Geek

I don't know of any manufacturer that uses AFR. I'm honestly not aware of one that even measures AFR.

They use boost and air temp to determine air density, and then adjust fueling based off that. Gas engines use afr because they want it in a certain spot to run right. Diesel engines always run lean, so as long as it's on the lean side, the afr is irrelevant.

You can somewhat determine lean vs rich in a diesel with a pyrometer too. If it's cold, it's lean, if it's hot, it's rich.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #251

Master cylinder

Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I couldn't find one specifically for my needs. We recently purchased our 1985 Thomas/ International S1800( the engine is an 1853) I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find the master cylinder and brake booster for my engine. I even got the original part numbers from International,and no luck. Does anyone know of a reliable source for these parts. The attached photo shows were fluid squirts out of when the brakes are applied. It looks like a gasket of some sort. But I've been assured that there is no gasket or insulator between the master cylinder and the brake booster.
Attached Thumbnails
20210326_080941.jpg  
TheBuckStopsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #252
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuckStopsHere View Post
Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I couldn't find one specifically for my needs. We recently purchased our 1985 Thomas/ International S1800( the engine is an 1853) I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find the master cylinder and brake booster for my engine. I even got the original part numbers from International,and no luck. Does anyone know of a reliable source for these parts. The attached photo shows were fluid squirts out of when the brakes are applied. It looks like a gasket of some sort. But I've been assured that there is no gasket or insulator between the master cylinder and the brake booster.
Welcome I guess.

Next time, if you can't find a thread that addresses your needs, then start a new one. This one really has nothing to do with your issue, so posting your question here is called hijacking.

Now, if you're leaking between the master and booster, the master needs rebuilt/replaced, and the booster should also be rebuilt/replaced. If you don't service the booster, expect it to fail sooner rather then later, because exposure to brake fluid deteriorates the seals and diaphragm inside of it. As you've been told, there's no gasket between the master and booster. Fluid is kept out by the seal on the piston, when the seal fails, it leaks. The older masters that are cast iron can be rebuilt, but it's bit of a lost art though because it's not a standard procedure on modern cars.

Take a picture of your master cylinder. IH used a few different designs across all the models over the years, a picture of it might be recognizable.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #253

Quote:
Let me make sure the link still works or I’ll make a new one , you’ll want to find the 94-97 444e service manual posted on this forum to get the EFRC and HP codes. I’ve never gotten fancy enough to type them into a. Spreadsheet . The codes work for all years of the engine .

Or if you are going straight to the top set EFRC to 2151 and HP to 250. If you have AT545 this is a sure way that soon you won’t have AT545 anymore.
Any idea where i might find the service manual? ive searched the fourm and cant find it. also can you point me in the direction for the codes for a 97 466e also?
Old 09-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #254
Bus Geek

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/9...pdf-15425.html

service manual thread for the triple 4 echo

what codes are you looking for ? to bump the Juice up or troubleshoot a failure?