Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the software to do it is servicemaxx J1708 and international gives it away free... HOWEVER the hardware device isnt cheap... I bought the NEXIQ USB LINK 2 device.. there may be another device which is compatible with servicemaxx.. someone mentioned a TVIT device, however I couldnt find where to buy one..

we need a skoolie meetup where i can bring my device and everyone with the T444E or DT-466E could reprogram their computers...

my Bus goes into the paint shop here soon, at that point i wont need the device for awhile.. Need to find a way to safely ship it around.. it seems pretty durable..

-Christopher
At $700 there must be a cheaper alternative...

warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72
I got my injectors here https://dieselpartscanada.ca/ I'm in Canada, at the time they where $275. each these are brand new not rebuilds, you can take yours and have them tested, and rebuild maybe cheaper. I didn't use a different injector for number 8 cly mine where all the same so I left them that way and there stock size. keep in mind I replaced mine cause they needed to be. it was a improvement, and increased mpg by 1mile
gbstewart

just looked at my thread and the injectors $244.00
Old 10-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
At $700 there must be a cheaper alternative...

I agree.. siomeone mentioned to me a TVIT device but I couldnt find it.. plus servicemaxx has to recognize it...

im happy to let people use mine i justr have to somehow get it to them.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
I got my injectors here https://dieselpartscanada.ca/ I'm in Canada, at the time they where $275. each these are brand new not rebuilds, you can take yours and have them tested, and rebuild maybe cheaper. I didn't use a different injector for number 8 cly mine where all the same so I left them that way and there stock size. keep in mind I replaced mine cause they needed to be. it was a improvement, and increased mpg by 1mile
gbstewart

just looked at my thread and the injectors $244.00

were you getting errors? how many hours / Miles (or KMs) on your engine?

the #8 injector difference was a TSB, so if it had never been performed then you wouldve had all 8 AD style injectors...

later versions had the higher pressure fuel regulator too so you may not have even had or have the low idle knock.. I'll know tomorrow when I replace my regulator with the updated part..

if I go to the trouble of yanking my injectors, i know myself I'll replace them.. esp since ive got 8000 hours and 144k miles..

-Christopher
Old 10-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyvz View Post
This was just something that I never really thought about before this, so I wasn't sure if it was a mechanical problem or not. After the discussions it makes all the sense on the world. I did learn from International that different states require different gearing on their buses, so it is possible that depending on the originating state of your bus, you could end up with a better gear ratio. NC for instance is 6:83 on the standard bus and 6:50 on the activity buses at 215 HP, to get little Johnny to his game faster.
BuddyvZ, where in the NC is low gap?
I have an NC bus with 6.50 gears, it is far from an activity bus speed wise and I was told by the bus barn men that if I didn't change the gear ratio when I got rid of the governor's Then I would burn up the rear end and that was buying the bus set to do 49-mph?
The op's gear size and your post contradict a lot of what I have been told/read/heard? Maybe it's my specific rear end?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #26
Bus Geek

I never heard anyone say a rear end would burn up... I would say though that spinning the driveshaft extra fast could eat the bearing in the pinion if its not properly balanced.. but a properly balance driveshaft and the right pinion angles seems you should be able to spin it very fast if you want..

-Christopher
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
BuddyvZ, where in the NC is low gap?
I have an NC bus with 6.50 gears, it is far from an activity bus speed wise and I was told by the bus barn men that if I didn't change the gear ratio when I got rid of the governor's Then I would burn up the rear end and that was buying the bus set to do 49-mph?
The op's gear size and your post contradict a lot of what I have been told/read/heard? Maybe it's my specific rear end?
I am about forty miles north of Winston. I got that information from the service manager at the High Point White/International dealer. The High Point site is the site that handles the bus sales and I was directed there by my local White service center, more for actual configuration setups (motor,trans, rear end) from someone on the sales team. They have been incredibly helpful and very forthcoming with information.
buddyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
were you getting errors? how many hours / Miles (or KMs) on your engine?

the #8 injector difference was a TSB, so if it had never been performed then you wouldve had all 8 AD style injectors...

later versions had the higher pressure fuel regulator too so you may not have even had or have the low idle knock.. I'll know tomorrow when I replace my regulator with the updated part..

if I go to the trouble of yanking my injectors, i know myself I'll replace them.. esp since ive got 8000 hours and 144k miles..

-Christopher
changing the #8 injector was to try and make the motor quieter , I think it was a AE injector, it was really for the ford excursions and super duty trucks, people would complain about the "crackle noise" and really didn't matter to a school bus, but can be done.
I had about 210000kms on mine, I had no codes, my bus was puffing blueish smoke, and was gutless till it reached operating temp, once it warmed up it ran ok, the o rings where worn, and the injector tips where worn
gbstewart
Old 10-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
changing the #8 injector was to try and make the motor quieter , I think it was a AE injector, it was really for the ford excursions and super duty trucks, people would complain about the "crackle noise" and really didn't matter to a school bus, but can be done.
I had about 210000kms on mine, I had no codes, my bus was puffing blueish smoke, and was gutless till it reached operating temp, once it warmed up it ran ok, the o rings where worn, and the injector tips where worn
gbstewart

yes, correct, the #8 caused no harm..(the TSB even states that).. it just sounds like a rod knock... I dont have any smoke on mine that I can see and still have good power (esp in a short bus) through all temperature ranges.. though I do believe my thermostat is bad so im replacing that.. I get way too much coolant flow through the radiator early and then seem to lack a bit (doing a rad in and out temp test) when the bus gets really warm. indicates perhaps i have a T-stat stuck in a partially open position. the bleeder hole in these tstats is not big enough to be pushing as much coolant through as im getting.

the fuel pressure regulator update claims to fix alot of the "injector knock" complaints.. plus it was made standard later.. i figured a sigmificant change like system fuel pressure from 47 to 72 and made factory default in later versions was done for a purpose... it was done in AD injector engines and is recommended on mine..

the "knock" just annoys me is all.. im wierd that way... came from building chevy hotrods with hydraulic valve-trains super quiet.. so naturally diesels to me are a different breed...
-Christopher
Old 10-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

one other thing, with these power strokes, they like clean oil , seems everything you read says clean fresh oil, I use reg 15w40 rottella or petro can
gbstewart
Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #31
Bus Geek

very much so.. any of the HEUI engines need clean fresh oil.. most school fleet managers said 6000 mile oil drains are good.. but go 4000 if you can afford is their recomendation..

ive done quite a bir of studying on how these engines work... but basically in their "infinite wisdom" the yare usig engine oil as hydraulic fluid... I really didnt know standard engine oils held up at 1000+ PSI.. but under full throttle your HPOP is over 1000.. its 550+ psi at idle.. ... since this actuates the injectors.. thise nice little small oil passages in the injectors.. with dirtied up diesel oil... yeah wow.. but it seems to work..

the T-444E, the DT-466E, the VT-365, all examples of engines that use this technology...

I have heard of more than one occurance of someone piurchasing a non-running bus or trcuk only to change the poil and have it run perfectly....
-Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Hey cadillac,

Just an update that I was able to remove my speed limiter with a NEXIQ USB-Link 2 and the free ServiceMaxx software. I also enabled cruise control and even activated automatic engine braking in conjunction with computer controlled cruise control, which was a nice easter egg.

Despite the fact that my 175hp International is designed exactly the same as the 210hp version, I was unsuccessful in changing the parameters in the computer. They were not editable -- or, rather, the field was grayed out and I wasn't able to change it. I'd still like to tweak that. Any suggestions?

Also, speaking of injector pressures, I was able to monitor mine with that software and my injectors were ~580psi at idle, oil pressure right around 50psi.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Way cool, I'm interested to know what the automatic engine braking does.
In my Silverado truck it downshifts the trans but with a standalone or an AT545 the ECM has no trans control.

The HP options are kept as a dealer only option, even my NavKal pro can't do an HP upgrade. Supposedly 350 bucks and it can be done but they may say you need to upgrade the trans, brakes, etc beforectheyd do it. Not sure if you hand carry an ECM to them what they would say.. tell them you installed an MT643 trans maybe?

I haven't yet tried to have mine upgraded. I may try after I see how the trans upgrade affects my cooling.
The way mine was running flat out on the freeway in 95 degree heat plus would cause me to run warm. So I wasn't ready to throw more fuel at it . I'm at 190 now, I can't remember what trans you have?
Christipher
Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Way cool, I'm interested to know what the automatic engine braking does.
In my Silverado truck it downshifts the trans but with a standalone or an AT545 the ECM has no trans control.

The HP options are kept as a dealer only option, even my NavKal pro can't do an HP upgrade. Supposedly 350 bucks and it can be done but they may say you need to upgrade the trans, brakes, etc beforectheyd do it. Not sure if you hand carry an ECM to them what they would say.. tell them you installed an MT643 trans maybe?

I haven't yet tried to have mine upgraded. I may try after I see how the trans upgrade affects my cooling.
The way mine was running flat out on the freeway in 95 degree heat plus would cause me to run warm. So I wasn't ready to throw more fuel at it . I'm at 190 now, I can't remember what trans you have?
Christipher
Spicer 5 speed . No idea what the auto engine braking will do but I'm also curious to see how the cruise will work. I believe it will operate as an actual cruise control and not as a throttle control. Again, will be interesting to see how it works with a 5 speed manual.

Honestly, the power right now isn't bad with my 4.44 rear end ratio but that extra 10% or so would be nice. You say it's possible International might be able to tweak it if I take the ECM to them? Gotta say I'm a little disappointed I can't do it myself. You think any International dealer would do this for me?

Also, for anyone looking, I ended up with a clone NEXIQ unit for $300 off ebay. It worked just fine. I'm going to return it though because it isn't OEM. Should've known with that price ... but I was able to reprogram my computer .
Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Very interested in the engine braking feature. Chris used his software to enable my cruise control.
From what I've been able to garner the 175 and 210 arent 100% the SAME. THe 175 and 195 are, though. Just a different programming, you can go from 175 to 195 by going to a navistar dealer or service center. I think the 210 has some differences in turbo and possibly cams/internals but that I'm not sure of.
I'd like to take my 175 up to 195 and upgrade the trans to a 643 or 1000.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #36
Bus Geek

I know the 230 variant found in the RE busses has a bigger turbo and I believe only in the newer years where AD injectors were standard.. fairly major changes were made in the form of updates starting in feb 99, I se a lot of things listed for certain serial numbers above and below that threshold.
The oncommand book has different procedures for the 230 altogether so I know it's hardware is different. A visit to rush truck after the transmission up and ironed out will find out exactly what's needed..

Of course like mentioned before, results are unknown if turning up the smoke on a motor that's not fresh and is well broken in.. granted 20-40 HP isn't crazy but still..
christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
im going to give a shoutout to the at545's.

the more i learn about them, the more i like them. yes, its a slush box. but i wouldnt worry about turning up the power.

if memory serves, its rated for 30k and 230hp. i don't know what your bus weighs, but mine is only in the 20k range, which gives that transmission some buffer on moving that weight.

i honestly think i could turn my motor up much more with out changing transmissions. if you are well under the 30k, turn it up!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
im going to give a shoutout to the at545's.

the more i learn about them, the more i like them. yes, its a slush box. but i wouldnt worry about turning up the power.

if memory serves, its rated for 30k and 230hp. i don't know what your bus weighs, but mine is only in the 20k range, which gives that transmission some buffer on moving that weight.

i honestly think i could turn my motor up much more with out changing transmissions. if you are well under the 30k, turn it up!
its not so much whether the transmission can physically handle it or not.. its whether navistar will turn the ECM up knowing it has a 545 in it.. only one way to find out really.. and thats call them..

as for the 545, im a pretty decent fan of it (even though im swapping one out). it seems to be pretty stout.. the one in my DEV BUS shifts nice and crisp and is very responsive to my foot pedal about downshifting and such.. the one n RedByrd always seemed weaker somehow.. DEV has the earlier all mechanical one.

as for what can it take? well with my First bus, it was a GMC 454HD 2 barrell.. and without knowing any better (I dint think about the tranny.. I crawled under it and it looked BIG so i thought STOUT!).. I Built the motor up in that bus.. not a crazy build but enough I was probably pushing 300+ horsies (perhaps a lot more).. and it never did slip... the "whistle" from 1st to second seemed a little louder after I did that.. and granted I didnt drive that bus a whole lot as I lost interest in it (Long story for a bus geek to lose interest in a kickass bus).. so I mightve killed that trans prematurely.. but what i did drive it was pretty spirited and I didnt kill it.. it had to be a 545.. sounded like it and I know i had no lockup..

-Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Very interested in the engine braking feature. Chris used his software to enable my cruise control.
From what I've been able to garner the 175 and 210 arent 100% the SAME. THe 175 and 195 are, though. Just a different programming, you can go from 175 to 195 by going to a navistar dealer or service center. I think the 210 has some differences in turbo and possibly cams/internals but that I'm not sure of.
I'd like to take my 175 up to 195 and upgrade the trans to a 643 or 1000.
I thought I remembered Christopher making an earlier post a few months ago about how the 175hp to 210hp are identical while the 230 needs a turbo and/or fuel injectors .... but I could be mistaken. I called the local International place today and after taking down the last 8 of my VIN promised to call back tomorrow with some more info .... they quoted me $350 for any reprogramming. Must be a standard fee. I figure my 5 speed could take the extra abuse of a measly 25-35hp in any case... and my 4.44 rear end ratio should do fine as well. I'll keep you updated on the engine braking.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
That settles it... I need to take mine to the navistar place down in orlando once my paint job is done.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote