Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Hi I have an International 1998 3800 DT466e. My question is I can only get 62 mph out of it what would I have to do to get more speed/power out of it and would it be worth it. At 62 the rpm's are 2300 to 2400
Thanks in advance
Whats the rear end gearing?

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 44
Would that be an International dealer thing to be done or could any truck mechanic do it? Just so I would have an idea where to ask
Thank you
pwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

I don't remember I will have to look for the rear end info
Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
EC is right rear gear is important... though DT-466 should be redlined higher than 2300-2400.. anyone with the navistar programmer can do it.. i have one, unfortunately im nowhere near maine..

a diesel garage that can service the computers probably owns the NEXIQ interface hardware... navistar Servicemaxx J1708 software is free.. so you might be able to talk them into installing it if they dont have it and removing that speed limiter and enable your cruise if its not already enabled.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you I will look into this. It sounds like it would be a good idea to do for MPG and performance. The rear gears are 4.7 according to the tag does that make a difference?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Thank you I will look into this. It sounds like it would be a good idea to do for MPG and performance. The rear gears are 4.7 according to the tag does that make a difference?
4.7 is decent.
What's your tire size?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

11/ 22.5 tire size
Old 05-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I went through (4 times) and built up the pressure - sprayed all the lines I could find... and not much changed... Still losing air pretty fast. It fills up quickly when started... but still drains when sitting over night or during the day. Here are the areas I found.

Air leaks out of the valve / level arm at the rear suspension. it is a slow leak that occurs if the bus rocks (I walk around in the bus...) - if I move the leveling arm a little - it will stop leaking briefly - until it rocks again...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6753.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	13844

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	13845
The second thing... The air tank seems to have a buzzing sound - but will shut off if I release a little air. There are does not seem to be any leaking air off any of the lines - but I still lose about 20-30 pounds per hour.

Name:	IMG_6756.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	13846
The discoloring is the soap spray.

The white arrow on the air gauge drops first - then later the orange arrow drops - both end up close to 30/40 in the morning.

Any ideas? I took it to an International After-market repair shop and they still don't know what it is.... ugh!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Roger (Dog.Rescuer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the air levelling system often uses air... im not sure what you adjusted.. you mayu have lowered it.. it is simply a lever arm.. when that lever arm goes up it opens a valve to allow air into the springs... when the lever arm goes down (bus rises).. then it will release air... often old suspensions are such that the true equilibrium of that valve is rarely found.. its very sensitive so it may always go into a state of slight release and then pressurize.. release etc.. .

one way to help find leaks is that the air suspension should be on a protection valve.. you'll see a valve screwed onto the tank, with a line coming off of it going back to the rear with the lever arm valve.. that first valve is a protection valve.. it shuts off air supply when the pressure drops down to 55-60 PSI.. each air accessory (stop sign, air suspension. air door, air set, etc) will be fed from one of these.. (multiple items may share a protection valve).. so if you notice that your air pressure drops in a few hours to 55-60 and then sits all night or more not going lower.. then your issue is something of an accessory... suspension, door, etc..)..

if the air pressure continues down lower. (it may go slower as pressure lowers).. then you may have an air leak in the system leading up to the tank, or in the brake system lines which remain always pressurized..

take a 50 / 50 mix of dawn dish liquid and water in a spray bottle.. run the pressure up till the governor cuts, then start spraying every air connection you can find... got bubbles? got a leak..
-Christopher
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The buzzing is the protector valve that's screwed to it releasing air for the air leveler to work, that air valve on the leveller may have a leak around the round piece where the lever arm goes on, mine did on the dev bus,

Protector valves release air for accessories and then stop of the air once the pressure drops to 55-60, this allows your air brakes if you have them to not lock up because say an air spring fails..

The leveler valve exhausts air out if the bus raises too high and will allow air in of. The bus goes too low.. sometimes as bus ages the suspension gets a little stiff so when parked it may overshoot up and down a bit just enough to use up all your air. Your leveler valve is easy to change they cost about 60 bucks on eBay and it's just a few bolts and 3 hoses..
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #70
Bus Crazy

I have had motorcoaches that would leak down all of their air to just about zero in less than eight hours. Leaking down to only 40-50 PSI overnight is no big deal IMHO.

It is more usual to have an air leak than to not have an air leak. Finding leaks can drive you nuts. And while messing around to fix one leak you may cause two or three other places where air will begin to leak.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I agree with cowlitz. Your leak rate is below what is a red flag in my books. Especially with an air suspension. If you really want to get it found, buy plugs that will fit in the holes and start capping off stuff. Then air it up and see if the leakage rate changed.

In all seriousness though, The legal rate is like 2 psi per minute. So at 20 psi per hour your still in the good. I wouldn't fret.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Thanks all - It seems that my leveling arm was a little off - so adjusting that to a better height helped. I won't worry as much about the leaking - it does recharge quickly - and no issues will operating the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I agree with cowlitz. Your leak rate is below what is a red flag in my books. Especially with an air suspension. If you really want to get it found, buy plugs that will fit in the holes and start capping off stuff. Then air it up and see if the leakage rate changed.

In all seriousness though, The legal rate is like 2 psi per minute. So at 20 psi per hour your still in the good. I wouldn't fret.
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

2 psi per minute with the service brakes applied. That's the important part...
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #74
Skoolie

Does a 1993 International 5.9 alternator ground thru the dash guage?

The reason I ask is I've been having to jump my bus off the last few times I wanted to drive it. I got tired of this & decided to figure out why. I thru a multimeter & quickly learned it wasn't charging. I removed it & took it to a shop to see about a rebuild. They tested it & said it was fine. I reinstalled it to find it still wasn't charging.I checked the guage & it was below 12 volts. On a whim I stabbed the throttle & the guage went into the green zone & according to the meter was putting out 14+ volts.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

For a lot of the big amperage alternators they need to be kicked off of idle in order for the circuit to excite enough to start charging.

Once the system gets started it should re-charge until the next time you shut off and re-start.

The system has built in protection so that you are not putting a load on the belts when you are trying to start the engine.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #76
Skoolie

Very useful information. Thank you.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #77

Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24
New to the group with an issue with Bosch hydraulic brakes on a 2000 International 3400 T444E. I purchased this bus "as is" with poor brakes. Some of the brake tubing had been replaced so I decided to replace the rest of the lines as well. I also replaced all 4 brake hoses and rebuilt the calipers.

I'm not able to get fluid for the rear brakes past the ABS module. I did some searching and found where some people had to use a scanner to activate the ABS module to get any trapped air out.

My question is; do I have to use a diagnostic scanner or is there another way to bleed the air out of the system?
ron911911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
I have a 1999 International T444E RE, and I recently had the starter changed (by a Craig's List mechanic). When he attempted to hook the battery back up it kept arcing indicating that something was wrong. Needless to say, I ended up having to change the batteries and the alternator. However, even with the new alternator the bus isn't properly running. The alternator will not charge the batteries and the bus continuously conks out after about 15-20 minutes.
Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #79

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Carpenter (Original)
Chassis: 72 Passenger
Engine: IH DTA-360
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Hello Sir!

I have a 1996 IH/Carpenter 78 Pass bus with a manual hand brake to the left of the steering column, and as far to the right as I turn the knob, the brake is not working. Any Ideas?

Many, Many Thanks,

Matthew McCormick
mattmcco@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijanakiume View Post
Hey yall been a long time lurker on this site and I love all of the projects on this site. I thought I would offer my help to people. I am a mechanic at International/Navistar shop. Only been working a year but if yall have questions about internationals I would try to answer them as best I could.
mattmcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #80
Almost There

Help PLease. My 2000 International 3800 just quit on highway.

Was traveling to go on holiday. While driving for about 3 hours bus would not accelerate past 55 mph /90 km. No hills, just straight highway. Was trying to go the speed limit of 62 mph/100km. I pulled over to side and now bus will not start. There is battery power, Had 3 new batteries in this spring.
At present I'm stranded on side road. It is a long weekend here. I'm in Canada. So I don't know what to check or who I can contact because no one is answering today. Water in fuel light comes on when trying to start. That's about all I know of what happened. Please help!
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote