Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #1

International Problems? Ask me!

Hey yall been a long time lurker on this site and I love all of the projects on this site. I thought I would offer my help to people. I am a mechanic at International/Navistar shop. Only been working a year but if yall have questions about internationals I would try to answer them as best I could.

kijanakiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: International Problems? Ask me!

I have a question for you. Do you think you could get a list of parts needed to do a trans swap from an AT545 to a MT643.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

Year: 1984
Chassis: international
Engine: V8 international 345

Hi! We have an 1984 international harvester s1723 and we are having terrible problems with the clutch or transmission. Essentially the bus wont move and it seems as though the clutch plates are slipping. The clutch was replaced with one designed for a scout, and we now think that we have pushed it too hard and possibly ruined the springs. We also replaced the engine with a v8 international 345 engine from 1981. We mostly just need someone to chat with on the phone if you have the time or desire. My number is 226-929-8955 and my email is selizabeth.cordes@gmail.com. Any help is great!
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29

I would like to reprogram the ECM on my 2002 Navistar DT466e to allow the bus to go above the US 55mph limit (the bus is now in the UK with no International dealers). Even allowing it to go to 60mph or 65mph would be an improvement! Is there any way to program it without taking it to an International shop?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65

Couldn't tell you about internationals, we run all cummins here. If I remember right from school, you can change the governed road speed using the servicemaxx software without the need for any passwords from the manufacturer. The problem is, you being from the uk, I doubt anybody would have that software available. One thing you could try is shipping your computer across the pond to someone with the software and see if they could do it. Other than that, I think you're SOL aside from buying the software, licensing, and components yourself (read big $$$).
Old 11-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Bus ECM reprogram ???

It could be a much easier task to just buy a different ECM from Statesside salvage place. A ECM from a bus or truck could be all ya need. Usually road speed is created because of the rear axle gears. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I suppose I could buy a second hand ECM from US and ship it to an International dealer in US to reprogram and get them to ship it back to UK - I would then have a spare ECM that I know works. Just need to find a friendly International dealer.... any recommendations?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Skoolie

Husky Trucks in Seattle say they can do this. Plan is to buy one to ship to them and pick up when I am next at SeaTac airport....I just need to provide VIN mileage and hours from existing ECM
Old 11-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Re: Bus ECM reprogram ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
It could be a much easier task to just buy a different ECM from Statesside salvage place. A ECM from a bus or truck could be all ya need. Usually road speed is created because of the rear axle gears. Frank
That'd all depend on how well the two vehicles match. In order for the ecm to limit road speed, a lot of different inputs are added to the computer such as rear gear ratio, transmission type, and tire size. In turn, the computer will calculate the speed vs engine rpm correlation based off of that data. Aside from power ratings, the vin number, and engine mileage/hours, You also will have other different options programed into the computer like cruise control, cooling fan, high idle, etc. I don't know what a used ecm would cost. But I know firsthand it wouldn't take long at all to eliminate the speed limit control off the old ecm, but what someone would charge to do that is hard to tell.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Skoolie

Re: Bus ECM reprogram ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
That'd all depend on how well the two vehicles match. In order for the ecm to limit road speed, a lot of different inputs are added to the computer such as rear gear ratio, transmission type, and tire size. In turn, the computer will calculate the speed vs engine rpm correlation based off of that data. Aside from power ratings, the vin number, and engine mileage/hours, You also will have other different options programed into the computer like cruise control, cooling fan, high idle, etc. I don't know what a used ecm would cost. But I know firsthand it wouldn't take long at all to eliminate the speed limit control off the old ecm, but what someone would charge to do that is hard to tell.
I agree that I need to read the settings off the existing ECM so the US dealer can enter all the existing data and then just remove the limit. My problem is where to get the connector to go from my DT466 to my PC so ServiceMaxx Lite and read existing settings....
Old 11-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Do you have the ecm out of the bus already? If not, just turn the key on and use the sae datalink and some sort of usb connector. We use a nexiq usb link but I'm sure there are other manufacturers. If you have it out of the bus you'll have to get the a pinout for the connectors and then do something similar to this http://tucrrc.utulsa.edu/CumminsWithoutWiring.html . Granted this if for a cummins but it gives you the idea of what you have to do.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828
Do you have the ecm out of the bus already? If not, just turn the key on and use the sae datalink and some sort of usb connector. We use a nexiq usb link but I'm sure there are other manufacturers. If you have it out of the bus you'll have to get the a pinout for the connectors and then do something similar to this http://tucrrc.utulsa.edu/CumminsWithoutWiring.html . Granted this if for a cummins but it gives you the idea of what you have to do.
I have found the diagnostic port inside the bus (ECM still in place) - I thought I had to connect to the 60 pin serial port on the ECM which was confusing me - and I'm sure I can find the cable to go from that to the Nexiq box and then to USB, but does Nexiq (or equivalent) provide the software to read and write settings on a DT466e?

What is ServiceMaxx and Diamond Logic Builder and International MD and how do they relate to the Navistar DT466e (are Navistar and International the same thing?)
Old 11-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Bus Geek

All the necessary communication lines that come out of the 60 pin connector end up going to the datalink port. So if the pcm is still hooked up to the bus, just use that. That way you don't have to search out individual pins in order to turn on the ecm. Nexiq has software to communicate with the ecm, as far as what the capabilities of that software is, I'm not sure. We originally purchased the nexiq software suite and tried to troubleshoot with it, but I was unimpressed and it would frequently crash. So now we just use the nexiq usb interface adapter with the OEM software. Servicemaxx is the factory software program that your dealership would use. I think diamond logic builder is a more simplified program that fleets use to read codes and perform repairs. Not sure what International MD is either. Servicemaxx is the only program I've ever had any familiarity with, and with it we could change any parameter that we wanted. I don't know what it costs exactly, but I don't think a subscription to servicemaxx would be a very wise investment just to change the speed limit on one bus. Not only that, but the learning curve you would face in trying to use it would also not be worth it. Unless you can't have the bus unmovable for any length of time, It would be easier for you to send your existing pcm to a place with the software already purchased, and people that are familiar with the program to do it.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
Skoolie

Yes I found the Deutsch 9 PIN diagnostic port. I am watching eBay for a second hand Nexiq unit. Rather than send my ECM to the US (I may never get it back!) I plan to buy a second hand one and get that reprogrammed - but I need to read the existing settings first! I have a copy of ServiceMaxx installed on my PC (complains I don't have an RP1210A cable) and I don't have a username/password for ServiceMaxx
Old 04-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #15

Hi There
Ive got an older loadstar 1603 factory converted and Im looking to find out as much s I can about it. Having a hard time finding information about part numbers and the like,
retsofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #16

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Engine: Gas. Cubic inch displacement unknown at this time
Rated Cap: 15 pax
From the VIN, are you able to determine what size gas engine is in my shorty? VIN#: 1HVBA17B3BHB15034. It's a 1723-S model. Thanks.
Juneau Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Huh. Usually the engine type shows up. This is all I could find (perhaps someone with better VIN-FU could do more):

Manufacturer Navistar International Trans Corp.
Make International
Model Year 2011
Model 3700
Vehicle Type City Transit Bus
Chassis 4x2 FBC School Bus Chassis
Drive Line Type 4x2
Brake System Hydraulic
GVWR Class Less than 6,000lbs.
Country US Produced
Assy. Plant Springfield, Ohio
Body Type Incomplete Bus
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International T444E
2002 International 7.3 Governor

I have a 2002 International 7.3 and the Governor was preset at 55mph from when it was a school bus. Do you know how to disconnect, or turn it off or is it set up in the computer? I would appreciate any advice.Thanks
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
"I caaaaan't drive... 55!"
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International T444E
that wont help