Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3
Re: INTERNATIONAL T444E RUNNING REALLYYY HOT

Could be something simple like the radiator cap. Seen that quite a few times.

nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Powerstroke HOT

Begin by checking the fan belt tension. Next check the fan clutch for engagement. A dangerous method of checking fan clutch operation is, start engine and go for a short ride to allow engine to rise. Get a length of 3/4 heater hose and fold in half, While holding 2 ends, attempt to slow or stop fan from turning using the heater hose. If the fan can be stopped, the clutch is bad. Use care as this is dangerous and should be done while standing on curb side of bus. If the fan cannot be topped, the clutch is good. Next test requires a mechanical temperature gage or an infred temp reading gun. Release the radiator pressure cap. put temp gage pickup into radiator and compare bus gage and the mechanical gage. Notice any difference. If infred gun is available, make a note of temps at several places on engine cooling system, while engine is running. The top of radiator and top hose should indicate the highest temperature. Check the bottom hose and bottom of the radiator. Check for any oil in coolant and any coolant in oil. Being an old guy, I use 180 degree t-stats in all my 7.3 engines, with a 15 pound radiator cap. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Year: 1998
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: 3880e
Engine: cummings
Rated Cap: 71

I have a 1998 Thomas with a T444E and There is a valve knob by the drivers knee of all places. I closed it once, that was stupid I wanted to find out what it did. I made the engine get hot. I think is shuts off the flow so that the motor will get hotter faster in the winter. Or if your a dumb as like me it makes you engine over heat on the side of a mountain in the Smokies. Guess I should pick better times to express my curiosity. Also check the tail pipe the can crimp and hold the exhaust from flowing freely. That happened too.
halldorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Re: INTERNATIONAL T444E

I think the radiator is plugged with debri, or the water pump is not pumping, or the belts are bad or slipping, or the thermostat is stuck and bad or a head gasket is leaking or the exhaust is restricked. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by halldorson
I have a 1998 Thomas with a T444E and There is a valve knob by the drivers knee of all places. I closed it once, that was stupid I wanted to find out what it did. I made the engine get hot. I think is shuts off the flow so that the motor will get hotter faster in the winter. Or if your a dumb as like me it makes you engine over heat on the side of a mountain in the Smokies. Guess I should pick better times to express my curiosity. Also check the tail pipe the can crimp and hold the exhaust from flowing freely. That happened too.
Actually, that knob should be for the interior bus heaters. It does tie into the flow of the coolant system, but the rest of the system will circulate even if you turn the interior heaters off.

That said, if you leave the knob open, you -will- cool the engine by essentially providing more radiator space.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote