Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Intro & inquiry

Hi
My husband and I recently bought a 1998 international 3600 Thomas 6 cylinder 71 passenger bus. I wanted to know if anyone has converted one of these and how these engines perform with the weight added after the conversion was completed. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

~Yorx

Yorkitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:14 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkitator View Post
Hi
My husband and I recently bought a 1998 international 3600 Thomas 6 cylinder 71 passenger bus. I wanted to know if anyone has converted one of these and how these engines perform with the weight added after the conversion was completed. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

~Yorx
It will be helpful to know which engine the bus has. Saying it's a '98 IH 6 cylinder narrows things down a bit, but they still had a couple options in '98. Assuming it was the very common and widely available DT466, they are known to be very solid engines. The only thing limiting your top speed will be transmission and rear-end gearing (and if it has a computerized governor, which can be disabled by a shop with the appropriate hardware and software). Even the other DT series straight-sixes are pretty good engines and will run out on the highway pretty well. I doubt the weight you'll have in the bus will equal the weight of 71 kids and their stuff (and the seats you'll presumably be removing), so it should perform just fine.

Last fellow I worked for had 2 IH trucks, one with the DT466, the other with the DT408 ... both would run 75+ hauling 20 cubic yards of heavy, wet mulch (pretty close to the weight limit, if not over). The DT408 had some pretty fast gearing, it would run 80+ empty. The other maxed out somewhere around 78.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hello and welcome to you both.
How exciting! Do you plan to live in, and or travel?
Wow the 71 passenger is around 39'? I try and wrap my head around having an extra 6' in my already roomy bus, sounds delightful.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Wow! This is great! How do I find out what engine it is? I don't have a manual.
She's 38' from nose to tail, we plan to live in it. We have 2 young boys so we have a floorplan w bunks in mind. We've already removed the seats and started on the side panels.
Yorkitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Buses have build tags that should give you most of the basic information. The tags should be in a fairly obvious place.

Good luck with your new home!

BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6 cylinder, international 3600