Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #21

Gently ask how they determined it the was the solenoid, and not the cabling and/or connections to the solenoid, or flaky grounding. It's not unreasonable to ask them to demonstrate that the solenoid is bad once they remove the starter. Hate to replace a perfectly good starter when the actual cause of the no-start condition may have been cabling, connections, or a faulty ground, and it's not unreasonable to have repair shop show you the "faulty" part and demonstrate that it is, in fact, broken. Starters do wear and can flake-out with no symptoms.....how many miles are on the starter?

jumpshowhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
$900 for a replacement starter, installed, on a medium/heavy duty chassis is not unreasonable. Starter itself can range from $300-up and 4 hours to install is not out of line. These things are *HEAVY* when you're raising one up, by hand - in one hand - holding it in place to start threading bolts.

If this sounds like the voice of experience, that's because it is. I have replaced a starter (M11 Cummins I believe it was) and it took me more than the 4 hours this shop is quoting.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:37 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I don’t necessarily recommend this one way or the other but if you are in a pinch to fix something while home or away from home you can put a “gig offered” listing on Craigslist. You can usually save a small fortune but sometimes it can come back around and bite one. I’ve done this a few times and was amazed how many guys are out there looking to make a quick buck and to help out. Often the same day if you are near a big city.
I did have a costly failure after someone helped replace a seized rear brake caliper. However I might have made the same mistake if I’d done it myself. The dually wheel came close to falling off and damaged the outer wheel and studs. I had to park in a small town waiting for studs to arrive for two nights and it cost me $300. Interestingly there was another Ford dually in the shop with broken dually studs. I was informed that after installing a Ford dually wheel one drives 50-100 miles then retightens the lugs. And definitely tighten them if new studs have been installed as they get sucked in to the seat more.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:20 PM   #24
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
I don't know where everyone is getting their parts, but............
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-INTER...s%2C147&sr=8-9
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:07 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
I don't know where everyone is getting their parts, but............
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-INTER...s%2C147&sr=8-9
Nothing personal, but I'm hoping somebody comes along and explains why that wouldn't work with my bus. My bus is a 2003 which is apparently out of the year range for the starter you linked. My engine is a DT466e (I think, anyway) so maybe that makes the starters more expensive?
Old 08-01-2019, 05:12 AM   #26
Skoolie

OK..... https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-INTER...ateway&sr=8-22
Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #27
Skoolie

Are they quoting you OEM parts, manufactured by and sold byIH? That's where you're going to see a difference. After market parts. Prime example... Had a friend that needed a water pump replaced in a 2011 Nissan Altima and the Nissan dealer, because they were going to use a Nissan water pump were going to charge 300 dollars parts and labor. Got the water pump after market for 30 dollars. An hour and a half later it was done. Including an oil change. That Nissan water pump was well over 100 dollars at the dealer. You can't blame the service shops. It's their policy to use original equipment just because of their warranty. I personally look at it this way. Once a vehicle hits 100k, is it worth it putting OEM parts on it? To me, absolutely not because I've had aftermarket parts last longer than OEM parts.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Something you might want to consider now that you have a bus, it might be a good time to start learning some basic mechanics and trouble shooting. Learn your way around a multi-meter. Start watching YouTube videos of guys troubleshooting comon bus problems. Take notes. I imagine you'll be very happy down the road if you learn a new an valuable skill. Good luck.
Oh ask for the old starter back.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
^ Agreed. Howeva,
Only if you don't mind paying the starter's core charge...
Old 08-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Something you might want to consider now that you have a bus, it might be a good time to start learning some basic mechanics and trouble shooting. Learn your way around a multi-meter. Start watching YouTube videos of guys troubleshooting comon bus problems. Take notes. I imagine you'll be very happy down the road if you learn a new an valuable skill. Good luck.
Oh ask for the old starter back.
I agree entirely and had this happened while the bus was parked in my lot I would have at least attempted this before failing and having to call in a mobile mechanic or something.

My new problem is the dashboard gauges freezing, which I'm going to attempt to fix myself.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The difference between parts costs is largely in the warranty. Not just the length of time but what the warranty all covers. Most are parts only, meaning that if it fails in the timeframe, you cover another 4 hours of labor on your dime. It costs them little to pull another part off the shelf and say, "Here, try this one" and throw your defective one in the scrap bin. A lot of brands I won't buy because that is their mindset on the matter.

We offer a 3 year warranty minimum on everything we do, labor included.

My parts cost to you will be higher then what you'll find online. Quality parts that are sourced locally coupled with a good warranty costs money.

I can find the same part I get locally for less off of rock auto. The difference is I can get them locally the same hour usually. Whereas Rockauto will take 2-5 days. I don't have the time or shop space to wait a few days to get something so you can save a few bucks. I need you fixed and out the door so I can fix the next thing.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They quoted me $475 for the starter and said it would take 4 hours, so I'm guessing their hourly is around $110 or so. Sounds like if they're screwing me it's only by doing something I don't really need at all. If I really do need a new starter then I guess $900 isn't too bad.
You have given the shop the go ahead and are committed now. It would interest me to know the final result. Possibly they have grossly overestimated the time it will take simply as an insurance policy should things go sideways, in that case you will only be charged for the actual installation time. The starter price sounds bout right.
I am somewhat reluctant to weigh in as I don't know anything about the placement of your starter. What I can say is that we have similar engines and mine is a piece of cake.
If you can get at it easily than any average mechanic could change it in less than an hour. And yes I have changed out a few starters in various pickups and heavy equipment and no I do not even consider myself in the same league as a professional mechanic.
Doktari's suggestion to consider a mobile mechanic is a good one. If you are dealing with a minor problem like this and can get the bus to a safe location you often don't really need a shop. The other big plus is you now have a one on one situation and the mechanic will probly be happy to show you what he is doing. You make a friend and gain some knowledge.

"FWIW I've always envisioned the soul-crushing costs as much larger than this (like 5 grand or more). I'll fit this in the budget by crapping in a bucket instead of buying a Nature's Head"

My understanding on small mobile composting toilets is that all the composting takes place after you clean it out and place your poop in a more compost friendly situation - so basicly you are just crapping in a bucket. Agricultural lime (hardware store) works wonders to keep the smell down, just sprinkle a little of the dry powder on, it's nature friendly, nontoxic and a little goes a long ways.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
You have given the shop the go ahead and are committed now. It would interest me to know the final result.
It ended up costing me $915 (plus tax) which was the $475 for the starter and 4 hours labor @ $110. They also gave me $60 off the original tow ($225 instead of $285).

I get the general impression they're honest, but I do not trust my general impressions on honesty - been wrong too many times.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
It ended up costing me $915 (plus tax) which was the $475 for the starter and 4 hours labor @ $110. They also gave me $60 off the original tow ($225 instead of $285).

I get the general impression they're honest, but I do not trust my general impressions on honesty - been wrong too many times.
a month ago I bought a starter for a 454 gas - top of the line, lifetime warrantee, with my discount, taxes included, it was $110 - took my stepson 1/2 hour to install it ( and I'd bet he stopped for a smoke ) -seeing the price difference between diesel and gas maintenance and repairs is one thing that makes me nervous ( scared ) about buying an old diesel bus - I know there are going to be repairs needed - a statement I made a while ago about estimating the cost of diesel repairs was to take the cost of repairing a gas model and add a 0(zero) is close to reality - doesn't take many of those added on 0's (zeros ) to buy a lot of gas
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
a month ago I bought a starter for a 454 gas - top of the line, lifetime warrantee, with my discount, taxes included, it was $110 - took my stepson 1/2 hour to install it ( and I'd bet he stopped for a smoke ) -seeing the price difference between diesel and gas maintenance and repairs is one thing that makes me nervous ( scared ) about buying an old diesel bus - I know there are going to be repairs needed - a statement I made a while ago about estimating the cost of diesel repairs was to take the cost of repairing a gas model and add a 0(zero) is close to reality - doesn't take many of those added on 0's (zeros ) to buy a lot of gas
When I eventually give up you can have my bus. At least you can be reasonably sure it won't need a new starter for a while.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
When I eventually give up you can have my bus. At least you can be reasonably sure it won't need a new starter for a while.

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:

Thanks for the update!
I'm supposing the bus is starting well and they have solved the problem for you so that would be a plus.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the update!
I'm supposing the bus is starting well and they have solved the problem for you so that would be a plus.
It is starting well now. My memory of this is kind of foggy, but it seems like a few times before (at least once for sure) the bus would not start right away but did after a couple of attempts. I should start a ship's log for my bus and keep track of things like this.

My new problem is the dashboard gauges freezing while I'm driving, which was diagnosed here as probably loose connections on a data link. I wonder if the starter replacement job could have jiggled those in some way.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #39
Skoolie

If the bus engine would not turn over then yes that likely confirms your starter was in need of service or replacement.

Your new problem is definitely outside my knowledge zone but one would surmise there is likely some relationship to the recent work. I would phone the shop, ask for the mechanic and see if he has any ideas.
Do the gauges work when parked with the motor running?
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
If the bus engine would not turn over then yes that likely confirms your starter was in need of service or replacement.

Your new problem is definitely outside my knowledge zone but one would surmise there is likely some relationship to the recent work. I would phone the shop, ask for the mechanic and see if he has any ideas.
Do the gauges work when parked with the motor running?
I'm going to check the gauges out fully tomorrow when I drive it (him). It happened the other day on my drive back to my lot, where I noticed everything but the air pressure gauge was frozen on whatever its last value had been. It stayed like that until I put it in R to back into my spot and the gauges unfroze.