Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 493
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
The wrecker driver spent some time underneath the bus trying to get it going for me, and it was damned hot so I (like to) imagine that he would have fixed it if it was a loose wire or something like that.

Are you saying that the starter will be warrantied for life if the shop is on the level? Or it won't be warrantied in that case?
Assuming the shop is good, for what you're paying, it should be warranted for life.
Did they show you the "old" unit?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 989
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Assuming the shop is good, for what you're paying, it should be warranted for life.
Did they show you the "old" unit?
They haven't done the work yet, just called me this morning and gave me the quote and got my go-ahead. Hopefully they will show me the old unit - should I ask for the old unit to keep when I pick it up? Or is it like exchanging batteries?
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 471
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
4 hours to replace a starter seems like a lot. Is he paying college tuition for his boat or what?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,730
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Well it's in their shop and this is part of your learning curve on starter systems. You have to get to know this stuff.
You don't want the old starter back or you'll get a core charge added also.
The only benefit in getting the old starter would be to get it checked and rebuilt if necessary.

They may not take 4 hours to change it but may find other issues like bad cables etc which will alter the estimate.
Not worth towing I don't think to another facility cost wise as the second shop has to analyse your problem, quote you etc.
Without tools at home to do this work and the know how, just go with that shop. You will be back so at least they get to know you and your vehicle.


Good luck


John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #15
Bus Crazy
 
HazMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,997
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Yeah, it is expensive. Let's hope the hourly rate was a worst-case quote.
But think how expensive that alternative of yours was:
Setting it ablaze in the WaWa parking lot would lose you your bus.
Gotta figure there might be a fine for setting a conflagration in public, maybe a little extra for being at the fueling island.
And, you may have suffered a heat stroke while running away...
__________________
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,004
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
With your admitted lack of mechanical knowledge and ability, unfortunately you are at the mercy of the repair shop you inevitably land in.
$900.00 for a starter is high but the repair shops are in business to make profit so in reality, you must pay what they quote, or tow to another shop in hopes of a cheaper rate. You could try negotiating it down, but most shops have set rates for their labor and parts markup that they stick to religiously.

Hopefully in your case the starter is bad and not simply a loose or disconnected wire to it. An unscrupulous shop might simply tighten the stud or reconnect a wire and charge you for a starter.
Assuming this shop is on the level, ask them if the starter is warranted for life, now. Their answer might surprise you.

Another alternative in the future, might be to search out a roadside mechanic. This can also be a crapshoot when it comes to the final repair bill, but a roadside guy won't spend 4 hours changing a starter either!

Good luck...

I recently bought a new starter for a Suburban - with my discount there was a $10 difference between a starter with a 3? year warrantee and a starter with a lifetime warrantee - with my discount there was very little price difference between the two starters, but with no discount there was over $100 between the two
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 989
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
4 hours to replace a starter seems like a lot. Is he paying college tuition for his boat or what?
No, his boat didn't have the SAT scores for anything other than community college.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #18
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 175
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
As a former shop mechanic not on buses mind you but all the same everyone who knows very little all tend to think they are being ripped off failing to understand that working on a rig is next to never cut and dry rusted/broken bolts ,bad wires,oil everywhere , parts that break as soon as you touch them because they are held together with rotten plastic point is in my experience most shops can't afford to go around ripping folks off unless they don't figure on being in business long!
Bottom line is if you don't want to pay mechanics you're gonna have to become one.
but if you want to have a chance of getting em to cut you a deal don't treat em like you think they are crooks and second guess everything that folks who admittedly know more than you say
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 989
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe69936 View Post
As a former shop mechanic not on buses mind you but all the same everyone who knows very little all tend to think they are being ripped off failing to understand that working on a rig is next to never cut and dry rusted/broken bolts ,bad wires,oil everywhere , parts that break as soon as you touch them because they are held together with rotten plastic point is in my experience most shops can't afford to go around ripping folks off unless they don't figure on being in business long!
Bottom line is if you don't want to pay mechanics you're gonna have to become one.
but if you want to have a chance of getting em to cut you a deal don't treat em like you think they are crooks and second guess everything that folks who admittedly know more than you say
I appreciate your points. And I will say that I haven't communicated to them any sense that I think they're cheating me, other than maybe a sharp intake of breath and a "really?" I'm only expressing my concerns here on skoolie.net.

I'm a programmer by trade and I'm used to the other side of people freaking out about exorbitant bill rates without understanding everything that the rate covers.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #20
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 175
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I appreciate your points. And I will say that I haven't communicated to them any sense that I think they're cheating me, other than maybe a sharp intake of breath and a "really?" I'm only expressing my concerns here on skoolie.net.



I'm a programmer by trade and I'm used to the other side of people freaking out about exorbitant bill rates without understanding everything that the rate covers.
Yeah I expect there are alot of folks who don't appreciate the time that takes
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.