Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #21

Gently ask how they determined it the was the solenoid, and not the cabling and/or connections to the solenoid, or flaky grounding. It's not unreasonable to ask them to demonstrate that the solenoid is bad once they remove the starter. Hate to replace a perfectly good starter when the actual cause of the no-start condition may have been cabling, connections, or a faulty ground, and it's not unreasonable to have repair shop show you the "faulty" part and demonstrate that it is, in fact, broken. Starters do wear and can flake-out with no symptoms.....how many miles are on the starter?
jumpshowhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
$900 for a replacement starter, installed, on a medium/heavy duty chassis is not unreasonable. Starter itself can range from $300-up and 4 hours to install is not out of line. These things are *HEAVY* when you're raising one up, by hand - in one hand - holding it in place to start threading bolts.

If this sounds like the voice of experience, that's because it is. I have replaced a starter (M11 Cummins I believe it was) and it took me more than the 4 hours this shop is quoting.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:37 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350
I don’t necessarily recommend this one way or the other but if you are in a pinch to fix something while home or away from home you can put a “gig offered” listing on Craigslist. You can usually save a small fortune but sometimes it can come back around and bite one. I’ve done this a few times and was amazed how many guys are out there looking to make a quick buck and to help out. Often the same day if you are near a big city.
I did have a costly failure after someone helped replace a seized rear brake caliper. However I might have made the same mistake if I’d done it myself. The dually wheel came close to falling off and damaged the outer wheel and studs. I had to park in a small town waiting for studs to arrive for two nights and it cost me $300. Interestingly there was another Ford dually in the shop with broken dually studs. I was informed that after installing a Ford dually wheel one drives 50-100 miles then retightens the lugs. And definitely tighten them if new studs have been installed as they get sucked in to the seat more.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:20 PM   #24
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
I don't know where everyone is getting their parts, but............
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-INTER...s%2C147&sr=8-9
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:07 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
I don't know where everyone is getting their parts, but............
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-INTER...s%2C147&sr=8-9
Nothing personal, but I'm hoping somebody comes along and explains why that wouldn't work with my bus. My bus is a 2003 which is apparently out of the year range for the starter you linked. My engine is a DT466e (I think, anyway) so maybe that makes the starters more expensive?
Old 08-01-2019, 05:12 AM   #26
Skoolie

OK..... https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-INTER...ateway&sr=8-22
Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #27
Skoolie

Are they quoting you OEM parts, manufactured by and sold byIH? That's where you're going to see a difference. After market parts. Prime example... Had a friend that needed a water pump replaced in a 2011 Nissan Altima and the Nissan dealer, because they were going to use a Nissan water pump were going to charge 300 dollars parts and labor. Got the water pump after market for 30 dollars. An hour and a half later it was done. Including an oil change. That Nissan water pump was well over 100 dollars at the dealer. You can't blame the service shops. It's their policy to use original equipment just because of their warranty. I personally look at it this way. Once a vehicle hits 100k, is it worth it putting OEM parts on it? To me, absolutely not because I've had aftermarket parts last longer than OEM parts.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Something you might want to consider now that you have a bus, it might be a good time to start learning some basic mechanics and trouble shooting. Learn your way around a multi-meter. Start watching YouTube videos of guys troubleshooting comon bus problems. Take notes. I imagine you'll be very happy down the road if you learn a new an valuable skill. Good luck.
Oh ask for the old starter back.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
^ Agreed. Howeva,
Only if you don't mind paying the starter's core charge...
Old 08-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Something you might want to consider now that you have a bus, it might be a good time to start learning some basic mechanics and trouble shooting. Learn your way around a multi-meter. Start watching YouTube videos of guys troubleshooting comon bus problems. Take notes. I imagine you'll be very happy down the road if you learn a new an valuable skill. Good luck.
Oh ask for the old starter back.
I agree entirely and had this happened while the bus was parked in my lot I would have at least attempted this before failing and having to call in a mobile mechanic or something.

My new problem is the dashboard gauges freezing, which I'm going to attempt to fix myself.