Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Well hopefully some more astute members can chime in tomorrow, best of luck on that.

Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

General advice - shop for a repair shop when you don't need a big repair. Get advice from a local school bus garage - they won't do the work but probably know the competent mechanics in the area. Have the shop do an oil change and pay for an hour for them to look over your entire bus. Talk to other local bus owners. Use the force. Trust your instincts. One place near me charged dealer prices (they were a large truck repair facility) but ran my OBD2 scan for free and told me that I could hold off on the work but should be aware of it. Expensive but I can trust them. I got an emergency tow to another for a bad fuel pump. $900 later, after dropping the tank and changing the pump, it told me it was a bad ground connection. Honest but didn't offer a discount on the pump work. Lost a transmission line 200 miles from home. The GMC dealer replaced it for $700, then told me the tranny was bad, wouldn't go into reverse, should they replace it for $4200? Big dealership. They had backed my bus into its parking space. I was able to drive it home. The bus garage I bought it from connected me to a local truck shop who put a used tranny in for $1200 (the garage knew the bus it came out of and was sure it was a good one - the bus was being scrapped for a different problem). They have given me good results from looking over both my buses and are now my go-to place. I will bring them cookies every time I go. If you can't do the work yourself, this is *VITAL* to your bus ownership.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nords View Post
General advice - shop for a repair shop when you don't need a big repair. Get advice from a local school bus garage - they won't do the work but probably know the competent mechanics in the area. Have the shop do an oil change and pay for an hour for them to look over your entire bus. Talk to other local bus owners. Use the force. Trust your instincts. One place near me charged dealer prices (they were a large truck repair facility) but ran my OBD2 scan for free and told me that I could hold off on the work but should be aware of it. Expensive but I can trust them. I got an emergency tow to another for a bad fuel pump. $900 later, after dropping the tank and changing the pump, it told me it was a bad ground connection. Honest but didn't offer a discount on the pump work. Lost a transmission line 200 miles from home. The GMC dealer replaced it for $700, then told me the tranny was bad, wouldn't go into reverse, should they replace it for $4200? Big dealership. They had backed my bus into its parking space. I was able to drive it home. The bus garage I bought it from connected me to a local truck shop who put a used tranny in for $1200 (the garage knew the bus it came out of and was sure it was a good one - the bus was being scrapped for a different problem). They have given me good results from looking over both my buses and are now my go-to place. I will bring them cookies every time I go. If you can't do the work yourself, this is *VITAL* to your bus ownership.
I went to my local school bus yard to ask about getting some side help on the bus. They were totally uncooperative, said they didn't allow their mechanics to do side work and sent me on my way.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I went to my local school bus yard to ask about getting some side help on the bus. They were totally uncooperative, said they didn't allow their mechanics to do side work and sent me on my way.
I have asked the same thing at three bus yards and got a similar response. All three told me "no, our guys work on buses all week, they don't want to work on your bus in their off time".

The managers at all three were friendly and spent time answering questions. The last one spent 30 minutes giving me detailed instructions on how to do what I was wanting to hire someone to do......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
a month ago I bought a starter for a 454 gas - top of the line, lifetime warrantee, with my discount, taxes included, it was $110 - took my stepson 1/2 hour to install it ( and I'd bet he stopped for a smoke ) -seeing the price difference between diesel and gas maintenance and repairs is one thing that makes me nervous ( scared ) about buying an old diesel bus - I know there are going to be repairs needed - a statement I made a while ago about estimating the cost of diesel repairs was to take the cost of repairing a gas model and add a 0(zero) is close to reality - doesn't take many of those added on 0's (zeros ) to buy a lot of gas
took my stepson 1/2 hour to install it

Take him on every trip.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah, I have never gotten a bus garage to do the work or have a mechanic who would do it after hours. I am only suggesting asking them for the names of local places they would recommend. If they do give you advice (like the other person got), it is nice to respond with something non-alcoholic. We have a local place called The Cookie Factory, which is my go-to for thank you stuff. Just drop it off and say you appreciated the advice. The next time you come in, you will get more advice, quite willingly. Of course, it depends on the person. Some people just don't give a crap. No cookies for them.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Google your starter for a price. Did you keep the old one?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Why the 'confused' icon? Isn't this like the 4th or 5th time you've said that an establishment had refused your business?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
If you are going to rely on shops to do your work for you then get ready to be ripped off is all I can say with the upmost respect. Hope you have plenty of money to burn.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Shop for parts online just like anything else you buy. After you know the starter price; then see how much was labor.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
If you are going to rely on shops to do your work for you then get ready to be ripped off is all I can say with the upmost respect. Hope you have plenty of money to burn.
It's funny how people only use the phrase "with the utmost respect" when they're being disrespectful.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Why the 'confused' icon? Isn't this like the 4th or 5th time you've said that an establishment had refused your business?
I may have relayed the same story a few times. You only think I'm dumb as you think.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
It's funny how people only use the phrase "with the utmost respect" when they're being disrespectful.
I sure wasn't trying to be, but I am very blunt about it.
I'm a roadside tech as one of my trades, can't believe how many people roll out on long road trips and can't do much for themselves.
I say these things to encourage people to learn and help themselves, maybe I should encourage them to remain ignorant so I get more calls and make more money.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
I say these things to encourage people to learn and help themselves
My $1200 repair bill has encouraged me more than you ever will. Nothing you've said has been helpful to me so far.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
There are times when paying someone with the proper tools, knowledge and facilities simply makes more sense than doing it ourselves. Major engine rebuild (crank and head work)? Some of us have physical limitations, can't crawl under vehicles any more. How about moving?

Yes, paying someone to do work for you costs more, but (hopefully, at least) it's done right by someone who knows what they're doing.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My $1200 repair bill has encouraged me more than you ever will. Nothing you've said has been helpful to me so far.
I'll try to make sure not to speak to you in the future, I am sorry you are so upset. Take care out there.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
There are times when paying someone with the proper tools, knowledge and facilities simply makes more sense than doing it ourselves. Major engine rebuild (crank and head work)? Some of us have physical limitations, can't crawl under vehicles any more. How about moving?

Yes, paying someone to do work for you costs more, but (hopefully, at least) it's done right by someone who knows what they're doing.

" but (hopefully, at least) it's done right by someone who knows what they're doing." Hopefully indeed. I've just seen way too many hack jobs to trust anyone to do it for me. But like you said, some just can not do it, I'll be in your camp before I know it, my shoulders are ruined as well as my heart. I simply can't afford bloated repair costs, so I figure it out one way or another, I do have have the majority of tools to do most everything other than machine shop work tools. Got everything for the 7.3s, some tools I've fabbed up myself. In my area if you need work done on a diesel you will get shafted, I know I wind up with them later on and hear the horror stories, I'm the guy in my town people bring their 7.3 powerstrokes to. You sure don't want to check out the ferd dealers around here LOL.
Take care bud.