Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Oh, one more thing. Keep a close eye on things when taking the bus out for a spin after all the axle work. Do a couple mile run at highway speed then stop and check hub temperatures.
Also keep an eye on the rear-view mirrors A diesel mechanic friend of mine was called out to a roadside job because a delivery truck could see one of his dually wheel assemblies sliding in and out from the truck as he was driving. That's bad.. Real bad! The jam nuts were loose so the bearings were no longer holding the hub in place on the axle.

I had that happen to me in an old pickup where a ^$#^%$^$& C-clip broke in my diff..I could see the wheel going out and was trying to keep it from flying apart till i got it stopped...
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I had that happen to me in an old pickup where a ^$#^%$^$& C-clip broke in my diff..I could see the wheel going out and was trying to keep it from flying apart till i got it stopped...
-Christopher
"Bring me my brown pants!"
Old 10-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Milk is replacing a gasket.

Jazty a seal.

Big difference.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post

Jazty a seal.

Big difference.
Yeah, if it's just an axle shaft flange gasket, not the axle seal, then it's an easy peasy job! I got tripped up on the wording.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Jazty a seal.

Big difference.
lol

Old 10-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah, if it's just an axle shaft flange gasket, not the axle seal, then it's an easy peasy job! I got tripped up on the wording.
That's ok, the Jam Nuts tripped me up!
Old 10-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:

Jazty a seal.

Big difference.
Huge difference.

Gasket is something most on here could do. Pop the 8 nuts off, pull out the shaft(keep it clean and protect the splines), clean off both mating surfaces, install new gasket or gear oil rtv sealant(what I use), reinstall axle, tighten nuts, top up fluid, raise opposite set of duals(causes the fluid to run to the side you just drained), recheck fluid level, go for a drive.

Replacing a wheel seal is a lot more complicated. Requires special tools depending on the seal and bearing design. Most on here shouldn't try it unless supervised by someone in the know.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Eh.. I didn't shy away from the job. As long as you can pay attention to the details (proper torquing procedures!!) and have an OK set of larger sockets you'll be ok. Up to 1.25" is good. The only special tool required for my axle seal job was an additional 3.25" socket to fit the jam nuts and an adapter to make it fit my torque wrench. I'm glad I did the job. I feel smarter and ever more powerful because of it!

Oh, and make some 4"x4" cribbing to support the frame then further support the axle with more blocks.

Check out my post about the procedure if you want a good laugh My 200cc Yamaha Moto4 gave me a hand with the job.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/ar...tml#post153599
Old 10-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Eh.. I didn't shy away from the job. As long as you can pay attention to the details (proper torquing procedures!!) and have an OK set of larger sockets you'll be ok. Up to 1.25" is good. The only special tool required for my axle seal job was an additional 3.25" socket to fit the jam nuts and an adapter to make it fit my torque wrench. I'm glad I did the job. I feel smarter and ever more powerful because of it!

Oh, and make some 4"x4" cribbing to support the frame then further support the axle with more blocks.

Check out my post about the procedure if you want a good laugh My 200cc Yamaha Moto4 gave me a hand with the job.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/armageddon-the-smell-of-airborne-rust-8870-20.html#post153599
Well you impressed me. Most wouldn't have had a torque wrench for it.

But you must have missed the spot about checking the end play. At least I didn't see where you did it. That's the final goal with all of those steps. Most of the times it works out and you don't need to readjust it but it's still something that should be checked. The procedure will also vary slightly based off of whether or not the bearings are new.

PS, I feel phenolic pistons are more likely to sieze because of how soft they are. If you flush your brake fluid every couple of years and have good dust seals (read not torn) the metal pistons should never rust or have a problem.

PPS, Nice foot.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

My torque wrench tops out at 300lbf*ft which was just enough, going off of the Timken wheel adjustment chart that I looked at before removing a single bolt: http://www.timken.com/en-us/solution...Procedures.pdf
I have a diesel mechanic friend and he said if I follow the tightening procedures to the T I should be well in the ball park for end play. I did skip step 8 (dial indicator), but closely watched the hub temperature for too much preload. Too loose and things will be sloppy and start wearing brake pads, tires, and eventually bearings, but it seems that the real scary problems occur when the preload is too high. About 1000kms since and things are holding well.

One of these days I'll stop by his shop to get a true test on the end play.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I have friend that built a very nice trailer to carry his track hoe. They used 1 ton rear ends and cut the gear box out of the centers and filled the void with a pipe. They wanted the brakes and oiled wheel bearings. The trailer has been around for years now and works great. What they did that I thought was very cool is they used plexi glass for the outer hub cover so they could do a quick walk around and if the axle tube was full it was ready to go. But I assume they could do this because the old cover was the floating axle? so when they pulled that stuff all they were left with was needing a simple cover on the hub.
It also sees like i saw semi trucks with covers like this on them or the trailers. A visual oil check would be amazing for a good pre flight.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Trailer and steer axle sometimes will have clear covers if they're an oil bath bearing. Through the cover is how you would fill those so if they aren't clear there should be a plug somewhere that you can remove to check the level.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my carpenter, the rear axle juice I have to check the old fashioned away underneath... the fron hubs, each has a rubber plug and I have to pull it, and finger in to see where its at..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Do you change the rear end fluids? it looks like so much oil with so much surface area that it couldn't go bad. Does it take limit slip oil additive.

Front hubs if there not leaking how long do you go before servicing them. I think I saw MUDDA earth had a failure looked like easy job if they weren't destroyed. the pins that is. or rollers.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote