Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking at my first bus! What can you tell me about 1991 International?

The guy says it has a straight 6 diesel engine and an automatic transmission with no air brakes. 12-window full-size bus, high height (claims his 6'6" son can stand up straight inside it).

What are the likely engine and transmission combinations in a bus like this? (Or, better yet, how can I figure out which engine and transmission it has, when I go to look at it?)
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
The guy says it has a straight 6 diesel engine and an automatic transmission with no air brakes. 12-window full-size bus, high height (claims his 6'6" son can stand up straight inside it).

What are the likely engine and transmission combinations in a bus like this? (Or, better yet, how can I figure out which engine and transmission it has, when I go to look at it?)
More than likely it's a dt360 or a DT466 in 91 everything was mechanical so that is a big plus there's a lot of mechanical engine fans on this site, I personally have a 1992 international Thomas 77pass with a dt360 it uses no oil it's very dependable it's got 200k + miles on it and it doesn't use any oil.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
one of my busses is a 1991 International carpenter (from ohio).. it has a DT-360 and is a trooper.. its NOT FAST but that engine chugs right along.. ive driven it all over the place.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Skoolie

Hey Christopher I just assumed it was an international don't you think... An inline 6 I don't think Ford or Chevy put anything like that in their buses right?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I looked at the bus. The tag on the engine said "DTA-360 family", so DT360?

131,xxx miles, couldn't figure out the transmission. Shifter said "R N D 3 2 1", but there was probably a "P" at the top that I just didn't see. Hydraulic brakes. Had some surface rust, saw some small rust-through holes on the body, the largest being on the main side door. Underbody looked like it had only minimal rust - only rust I saw there was on the leaf springs and it didn't look like more than surface rust.

One thing struck me as odd - there was no driver's door. How do you get into a bus like that - do you always have to get in through the emergency exit or leave the main side door unlocked?

Unfortunately, it was not the "high height" bus... this must've been standard height. If his 6'6" son can stand up straight in it, I'm betting that the guy ain't 6'6"... because I, at 6'2", touched the ceiling with my head while standing flat-footed.

Tires looked decent but he said that the tires currently on it were one size too big, and as a result, sometimes during turns the tire would scrape a fiberglass panel in the wheel well. A set of proper-size tires come with the bus but they look fairly old and I can't guarantee that they'd have any use left.

He claims it runs and drives, he's had it 8 years, can't drive it anymore because he had an operation that put two metal plates in his foot, and the position he has to use to drive the bus puts painful pressure on his foot as a result. I didn't hear it start because he had the batteries out, but he said he'd get batteries for it so it would run.

It's only minimally converted; I'd need to install seat belts on the seats I'd want to keep because there weren't any in those years. He's asking $1950... a tempting deal... but I'm inclined to pass because of the low ceiling height. Blast it all.
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Skoolie

Well that might not be such a bad thing if you are looking for a driver's door and "P"...... Sorry that's just my sense of humor
Old 09-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
He claims it runs and drives, .... I didn't hear it start because he had the batteries out, but he said he'd get batteries for it so it would run.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanchip View Post
Hey Christopher I just assumed it was an international don't you think... An inline 6 I don't think Ford or Chevy put anything like that in their buses right?
Ford buses may have a Cummins and chevy may have a Cat. Not sure when they started using the 3116.
Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Just some things to consider, If he has had it for eight years and when you went to look at it the batteries were dead it may have sat unused for a long time which isn't good on any vehicle. If the body is rusted through in multiple places you will likely find more. Tires are very expensive for a bus. A good set of tires increases a buses value considerably. New tires mounted will cost over 1,000.

If the work that is complete was done well it may be worth the asking price. If you will have to redo most of it I would keep looking. Just my Opinion.
Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
Bus Nut

No "Park" position? Full size? Are you _sure_ they were wet brakes, or did you take this guy's word for it? Was there a large yellow pullout button on the dash somewhere?

I'm sure this will be received as shocking news, but there are people out there who will lie about stuff in order to sell vehicles.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote