Old 10-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Any diesel used in ford pickups up until 2011 was an international/Navistar engine.

A dt466/360 wouldn't really "bolt up" per say. You'd likely need different motor mounts, radiator, exhaust, driveshaft, and some fab work to get it in there. A donor bus would have all that, but being away from home, a new swap complicates it quite a bit.

AT545's are pure mechanical. No solenoids or sensors to go bad so you can count that out for your trans problems. I don't think any at545's were ever 5 speed. So that craigslist poster is confused and that transmission should work for you.

The 2000 series on ebay is a far better trans then the at545, but it also requires a computer to run and a wiring harness. Neither of those seem to be included in that ebay listing.

Quickest route to get back on the road would be the 6.9 you found in the pickup and then that trans on craigslist. That is if all the pieces are in good working order like advertised.

If you want to start swapping stuff and engineering a better bus, then you're looking at considerably more time, and from what I've gathered, you're not doing this yourself, so time=money.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
Comparing 6.9 to 7.3

Thank you everyone for the advice so far.

I have gotten a few quotes for taking out the DEAD International 6.9 and putting in a USED Ford 6.9. Everywhere from 20-25 hours up to 45 hours at $100 - $127 an hour.

Best case scenario I've found is a mechanic who will do the swap for $3500. I only have $3000 to spend at this point.

I am wondering, if I was to purchase an International engine would it be less man hours to swap the engines since we won't have to swap out all the International/Ford engine pieces (manifolds, fan, water pump, etc...)?

The reason I ask is if I put more money into the engine maybe it'll be less work for a mechanic and better for me in the long run. I had originally thought 6.9 for 6.9 but since its Ford and not International there are a lot of pieces that have to be swapped.

nessabing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #13
Bus Nut
Very easy engine swap

There are only about 25 bolts to remove and replace. Everything is large and heavy. Front engines are easy, just need a engine hoist from most rental places. Have some faith to change the engine.. Frank 208 423 5969
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #14
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Is yours a flat nose or dog nose bus?

On flat nose front engine swaps at the shop, we block the engine up on large wood blocks, and roll the bus backwards off the engine.

Much much more safe than trying to lift and balance a engine with no room.

Last guy I seen lift one out with a lift had to remove the windshield. He put the hoist though the opening. However he still had to set the engine down numerous times, and get a new hold.

Dog nose buses you need the hoist.

Having a cement floor is necessary for both types.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Bus Nut
Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children
"On flat nose front engine swaps at the shop, we block the engine up on large wood blocks, and roll the bus backwards off the engine."
Don and Mary
2kool4skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #16
Bus Nut
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Have you called LKQ HD truck parts they may have a Hollanders catalog that will
tell you what will fit your vehicle as well as maybe some parts as well. Call 800-547-4851
they are nation wide.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote

6.9, engine, international, short bus, transmission