Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Looking for a 6.9l engine

We are on a cross country trip to film all the national parks in 360 Video, in our converted International short bus and we hit a hill in Redding, CA and our transmission slipped and sent our engine into super high RPMs! Bad news! The engine is shredded.

We are looking for someone in the Sacramento/San Francisco area to help us with repairs. Any connections would be appreciated!

We have a mechanic in Redding who is familiar with the 6.9l Diesel engine but doesn't know automatic transmissions. We are looking for some guidance on where to find a used 6.9l international engine and someone who can help us look at the transmission.

Thank you so much! You can reply here or message me at Rowe.derek@gmail.com

nessabing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome and good luck have you tried search tempest?

Good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
The 7.3 idi will also go in without trouble.

The easiest way to get an engine and trans would be out of another bus or truck.
Buy a complete running bus or truck and scrap the body.

Both engines were also in ford pickups, but would need a beefier trans before going in a bus.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the ideas! I found a Ford 6.9l (1986) about 100 miles from where I am in Redding:

http://mendocino.craigslist.org/pts/5263000378.html

I asked a local mechanic about using parts of my international like (exhaust manifold, intake) to make the Ford work...he said it depends on the year. I figure since the bus is an 1985 and this engine is a 1986 it should work out.

Now I'm talking with the owner of the 6.9l about plans for transporting the engine. Never had to transport an engine before. One thought I had was to tow my bus there instead of transporting the engine.

Worried about getting the engine in and finding out the transmission is shot.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice

I found a Ford 6.9l Diesel from a 1986 F250 in Mendocino, CA

Ford 6.9L DIESEL ENGINE

I am wondering what it would take to find someone near there to take out the International engine and put in the Ford engine. The local mechanic said we would need to take parts off of the dead engine like the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold. He said that it should swap depending on the year.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

I found a Ford 6.9l Diesel Engine from a 1986 F250 in Mendocino, CA

Ford 6.9L DIESEL ENGINE

I am wondering since its a 1986 will it fit in the 1985 Bus? And if we can pull the parts like the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold off of our engine and put it on the Ford one?

Is this crazy? Too much to ask someone to do?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Well I'm in Ohio, so no help here. Not sure of who any of the skoolies are on the west coast. They probably won't see this here so I would use the skoolie map that was on this forum somewhere and pm a bunch of them.

That engine should work. The exhaust manifolds will have to be swapped, they were different for the fords vs commercial stuff. Your flywheel housing will most likely have to be swapped as well. The Intake should be the same however. You might have to swap over cooling/heating fittings and you also will have to swap over accessories(air compressor(if air brakes), alternator, power steering, etc.) You might also have to swap the oil filter/cooler housing(not sure if they were the same between trucks and busses). Other then that, it should work.

Good Luck!
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S View Post
The 7.3 idi will also go in without trouble.

The easiest way to get an engine and trans would be out of another bus or truck.
Buy a complete running bus or truck and scrap the body.

Both engines were also in ford pickups, but would need a beefier trans before going in a bus.
Thanks Hank. I am wondering about the "beefier transmission." Our transmission needs some troubleshooting. Its a Allison AT 545 4-Speed and it started not shifting out of 2nd about 100 miles ago. I started manually shifting it to keep us moving to the nearest city, which worked!, but then we hit a big mountain and it slipped from 4th to 1st on its own and shredded the engine. WUH WAH!

I am wondering from research if it could just be a wiring harness, or a pressure solenoid (rather than the transmission is shot.)

I just found this transmission: http://santamaria.craigslist.org/pts/5218862939.html

I am wondering if it would work since its a 5-speed, eh? (but I think they might be wrong, from what I can see, the 545 is a 4-speed)

I am also wondering now if I put a beefier transmission in, would I get more speed? (I found a Allison 2000 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission...-/262095828639)
Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
If I'm not mistaken, the 6.9l IDI is actually an International-Navistar engine that was dropped into Ford pick-up trucks as well, no? I'm just wondering... Is your bus chassis an International or a Ford? It's not uncommon for people to think that their International-Navistar engine was produced by Ford. I hear it all the time.
If it's an International and you're planning on swapping the engine and transmission anyway then I'd be inclined to upgrade the whole driveline. I bet a mechanical DT466 and a manual transmission would bolt right up to any International chassis built in the last 40 years. Buying a donor bus seems like the best way to go...
Old 10-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
DT360 or DT466 would be my choice, as well.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Any diesel used in ford pickups up until 2011 was an international/Navistar engine.

A dt466/360 wouldn't really "bolt up" per say. You'd likely need different motor mounts, radiator, exhaust, driveshaft, and some fab work to get it in there. A donor bus would have all that, but being away from home, a new swap complicates it quite a bit.

AT545's are pure mechanical. No solenoids or sensors to go bad so you can count that out for your trans problems. I don't think any at545's were ever 5 speed. So that craigslist poster is confused and that transmission should work for you.

The 2000 series on ebay is a far better trans then the at545, but it also requires a computer to run and a wiring harness. Neither of those seem to be included in that ebay listing.

Quickest route to get back on the road would be the 6.9 you found in the pickup and then that trans on craigslist. That is if all the pieces are in good working order like advertised.

If you want to start swapping stuff and engineering a better bus, then you're looking at considerably more time, and from what I've gathered, you're not doing this yourself, so time=money.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Comparing 6.9 to 7.3

Thank you everyone for the advice so far.

I have gotten a few quotes for taking out the DEAD International 6.9 and putting in a USED Ford 6.9. Everywhere from 20-25 hours up to 45 hours at $100 - $127 an hour.

Best case scenario I've found is a mechanic who will do the swap for $3500. I only have $3000 to spend at this point.

I am wondering, if I was to purchase an International engine would it be less man hours to swap the engines since we won't have to swap out all the International/Ford engine pieces (manifolds, fan, water pump, etc...)?

The reason I ask is if I put more money into the engine maybe it'll be less work for a mechanic and better for me in the long run. I had originally thought 6.9 for 6.9 but since its Ford and not International there are a lot of pieces that have to be swapped.

Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Very easy engine swap

There are only about 25 bolts to remove and replace. Everything is large and heavy. Front engines are easy, just need a engine hoist from most rental places. Have some faith to change the engine.. Frank 208 423 5969
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Is yours a flat nose or dog nose bus?

On flat nose front engine swaps at the shop, we block the engine up on large wood blocks, and roll the bus backwards off the engine.

Much much more safe than trying to lift and balance a engine with no room.

Last guy I seen lift one out with a lift had to remove the windshield. He put the hoist though the opening. However he still had to set the engine down numerous times, and get a new hold.

Dog nose buses you need the hoist.

Having a cement floor is necessary for both types.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
"On flat nose front engine swaps at the shop, we block the engine up on large wood blocks, and roll the bus backwards off the engine."
Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Have you called LKQ HD truck parts they may have a Hollanders catalog that will
tell you what will fit your vehicle as well as maybe some parts as well. Call 800-547-4851
they are nation wide.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.9, engine, international, short bus, transmission