We did that before the head was torqued, it was just set in place and the bolts were in finger tight. The rod bolts were tightened but not torqued to spec at that point. Then when the first set of rod bolts let us know that something was wrong we checked and used the correct torque on the rest. Then after that torqued the head bolts. My dad has rebuilt engines for thirty years or more, just not diesels, so this is a little bit different but not too much.
I just can't get over how wrong the manual was. I wonder how many other people have had the same (or worse) experience.
My build thread:http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/build-thread-for-haulin-oats-and-goats-11237.html#post113500
A gal, a guy, three cats, two dogs, one rabbit, and one goat, traveling the country together.