Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Maxxforce 10 injector

2011 Monaco knight
17000 miles
Maxxforce 10
Allison 3000

Tracking down a vibration issue I was having, today I did a test ride with Dion International out of San Diego. They connected the laptop to monitor real time what the engine was doing while driving (we did this with the transmission too but all was good and the engine was suspected anyway). What showed was a couple ‘active’ codes that otherwise came up as ‘previously active’. They were:
Cylinder #4 balance max limit exceeded
and ICP sensor.

They plan at this point is to do a CPA test that they say will let them know for sure where the problem is (i.e. cylinder 4 injector vs 3 or 5 etc)

The shudder only happens under load at roughly less than 1500 rpms. Anything electrical I believe would be intermittent at any time and not just under load. In this way I agree that an injector could be the issue. The interesting part is that at 1300 miles in 2011 (brand new) the original owner had this exact code and injector 4 replaced as per Internationals record keeping. I know that its been 8-9 years but its only been ~ 15000 miles and while I know that coincidences happen this makes me wonder...

Has anyone had this code? Anyone fixed it themselves? Thoughts appreciated.

I’m really considering changing #4 injector myself as I don’t want to pay $165 per hr for a fix. I’ve been reading about removing the oil rail (and replacing the o-rings). I would replace the ice sensor while I’m there and inspect the wiring harness while in there. Is there anything to be afraid of? Easy job? Or hand it to the dealership for the cap test to make sure the right part is being replaced?

Thanks in advance!

Grizz_ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I would want to run the cylinder balance test and see what thast comes back with.. I would also wantto measure true HPOP pressure wit ha mechanical gauge and compare it to what the ICP sensors sees.. HEUI engines live by their own set of rules and lots of things can set injector and ICP codes... ie if you have an oil leak from an injector O-ring which causes HPOP oil to leak out into the valve cover area resulting in an insufficient volume and pressure to run the injection system, you'll set those codes..

I have zero experience with the Maxxforce 10 engine so i cant say for sure..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thetruckersreport forum might have more experience with your problem.
coolcraftnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote