Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Engine: 7.6
Unhappy No Start DT466E, Fuel at filter but not at return line- Need Help/ Suggestions

I would like to lead off by saying this is my first and only bus, I typically deal with Saab's, MBenz and Nissans - which are all gas, I have a Diesel Dodge Ram, but everything is quite a bit different on this international. While I have mechanical knowledge, troubleshooting this is proving difficult as its not like I can hook up a OBD reader and its a new brand to me.

I have a 2003 International Bus, with the DT466E, 134K Miles. It has been converted into a camper set up with a small kitchenette, table, 3 benches that convert into beds. Solar panels on the roof power the AUX electrical system for lighting and charging phones,etc. Tiny wood stove for heat. When I got this bus it had a bad head gasket, it had sat for about a year before I got it.

i've drained all of the oil coolant mess, cleaned everything out, replaced the head gasket put it all back together and now it wont start.

The first couple of tries after everything was together it would crank over like normal, now when I try to crank it it will only do like 4/5 revolutions and then stop on its own. I have to turn the key off and then back on to get it to crank again. The engine spins quickly and freely, so I am at a loss for that issue.

Knowing Diesels can be temperamental with air in the fuel system, I checked the fuel system, released the air at the valve above the fuel filter and filled the filter with fuel just to make sure it was full. I tried using the little hand pump above the fuel filter but it does not seem to be pushing any fuel through. I checked the return line from inside the bus at the back of the engine and its dry as can be, so it appears that fuel is making its way to the engine but not through it. I have checked all of my line connections, the oil and fuel lines are tight so no air getting in there. I replaced the intake manifold gasket, the valve cover gasket and the head gasket -along with all new fluids (oil and coolant) and filters.

Any possible suggestions as to what I could try to get it going? Also, the short cranking period is that indicative of some safety shutoff feature? I've been scouring forums for suggestions and every one that I have come across seems to either die off, or the person says "it fixed itself" so it has been of no help. I welcome any ideas or advice, thank you.

TheSaabFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Can you get a readout of the comp? What code is it throwing?
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Oil coolant mess? Please explain
Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Crank it hard and release the pressure. Repeat. My dt has what looks like an air valve on a bike tire. I crank it over a few times and release that pressure. Several times.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I rebuilt mine from the pistons up. Sleeves rings and bearings. Keep cranking and releasing that pressure. That gets the diesel flowing. Like when you run it out of diesel. If you haven't done That yet you are in for a treat.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #6

When the coolant mixes with the oil and turns into a milkshake consistency from the bad head gasket. It was in the oil channels, oil pan, etc
Old 11-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #7

I had done that a few times, (cranking it, releasing pressure) but not many - perhaps i just didn't do it enough, thanks for the suggestion- ill get at it in the AM!
Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaabFarm View Post
When the coolant mixes with the oil and turns into a milkshake consistency from the bad head gasket. It was in the oil channels, oil pan, etc
Ah yes. I remember it well. Same story with mine. Bad clutch fan.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
Bus Nut

It's gotta crank for a minute. It aint easy. I have a bluefire that tells me the codes it throws. Helps a lot.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead pirate View Post
It's gotta crank for a minute. It aint easy. I have a bluefire that tells me the codes it throws. Helps a lot.
I was looking for an indicator light that would let me know there were codes, or a check engine flash but I got nothing- all the lights clear after about 5 seconds after turning the key one position. I'll do some more research on that, perhaps it is something less obvious.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Then you are good. Keep cranking
Old 11-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you have to pump up the fuel rail and the HPOP. a device that can show PID 164 will tell if your HPOP pressure is building.. and also be sure you didnt knock thr connector for your CPS loose or the computer wont even try to fire the injectors...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you have to pump up the fuel rail and the HPOP. a device that can show PID 164 will tell if your HPOP pressure is building.. and also be sure you didnt knock thr connector for your CPS loose or the computer wont even try to fire the injectors...
Thanks - I am starting to think something may not be right with the CPS (crank position sensor, if 2003 has one). When I turn the key to "run" the gauges sweep, but when I try to start the tach does not move at all - which has always been a universal sign of a bad CPS.

I am getting fuel basically to the intake but not past there which is leading me to believe the injectors are not firing at all.

Tags
dt466e, help me!, no start