Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 34
"Notchy" Steering

Hey All,
Not sure if this is really the right place, but its a mechanical issue.

I have a 2001 International 3800, T444e and hydraulic brakes. The issue I'm having is with the steering. I don't notice it sitting in the lot, but when you're going down the road, the steering feels notchy. What I mean by that is that you can turn the wheel 15 degrees or so easily, before it suddenly becomes more difficult to turn for 1-2 degrees, before becoming easy again.

Has anyone experienced this before? The power steering fluid is clean and full, and the hydroboost brakes seem fine, so I'm not inclined to think its the pump.

SR2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
My guess would be that your steering gears are not meshing correctly in the gear box. Most steering gear boxes have an adjustment screw and lock nut on the top that you could possibly use to adjust the gears to get a smoother meshing action if someone hasn't already used the adjustment to it's limit. You might want to research the information for your particular vehicle to adjust that properly.
If I'm correct the resistance you are feeling from the gears will eventually result in stripping a tooth off one of the gears possibly causing you to have partial or no steering.
It's just a guess based on your description. That's something I'd get checked at a front end shop.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

like Robin explained, its all in your steering box. someone likely over adjusted the box to remove slack, and you just need to loosen it up.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Jack it up and grease your kingpins. They won't take grease properly if they have the weight of you bus on them.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the advice, I have a feeling you guys are probably right about the box being over adjusted, there is zero play at all in the steering, and there are a couple of recently replaced lines, so it would make sense that the box may have been misadjusted. If not, I'll jack it up to greese the kingpins, since the bus did sit for about 6 months at one point.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Jack it up and check it with no load on the rig. It sounds like king pins binding up more then a steering gear box. Also check that your tie rod ends are tight/lubed up and do the same to your drag link ends.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I would echo checking out the king pins, tie rod ends, and drag link.

I have driven and worked on a LOT of IHC chassis buses over the years. I can't remember a single one ever having a steering box issue. That is not to say that someone might have screwed yours up big time.

The one question I would have is are you sure it is a mechanical issue and not a hydraulic issue? If it has new lines it is very possible you have an air bubble in the lines which can give you the sensation of a bump along the way.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Skoolie

I am in the King pin camp or other dry front end parts, besides the steering box. Notchy describes a weight bearing, dry steering part.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm not saying the box couldn't be over adjusted, because I don't know the history on the bus. I'm just saying that dry king pins would be a more likely culprit.

If you get the sector shaft adjustment too tight it will have a hard spot in the middle and ease up as you move either way away from it. But what you describe doesn't sound like that.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
While all of the other suggestions are possible, It sounds more to me like a loose/ slipping P S belt or the filter in the p s resovour is plugged. You might also check the U joint at the steering column, they can cause a binding effect if they are stuck.
BTW , If this bus has hydroboost, the steering and brakes are operated off the same pump. It the effect is less when the brakes are not applied you may have a weak pump.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Having driven a semi with dry king pins, there is an easy test, does the steering return to center on its own after a turn or do you have to turn the wheel back?
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
You might also check the U joint at the steering column, they can cause a binding effect if they are stuck.
Yep, I had this happen in our Subaru. The steering wheel would turn smoothly, then it would reach a stiff spot, then it would turn smoothly again. It turned out to be a u-joint in the steering column that was dry and rusting up.
I couldn't find a replacement so I cleaned it the best I could and injected some grease back into it. It's been working fine since, though the steering is a bit looser than I'd like.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I jacked up the front end this weekend and greased every fitting I could find with a molly grease, nice and smooth now.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Great news indeed.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
I jacked up the front end this weekend and greased every fitting I could find with a molly grease, nice and smooth now.
Thats the perfect grease. Glad to hear it was nice and easy. It is good to have that in life sometimes!

Quote:
Greases containing moly are recommended for roller bearings subjected to very heavy loads and shock loading, especially in slow or oscillating motion such as found in universal joints and CV joints
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote