Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #1
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
P to the sixth

well, its time to drain the fuel tank. my big idea is to drain the fuel tank and then fill it with bleach and water for a few days, then drain and let dry, then refill with fresh fuel. i want to make sure any algae is killed/cleaned ass the bus sat for two years before i bought it and has sat at 1/4 tank for 6 months.

question: do yall think the fuel in the pickup tube will drain and cause an air lock, or engine stall and i will have to bleed the system after refilling? im just trying to avoid having to change the fuel filter several times. filters seem to plug at the very worst time and locations.

claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Bus Geek

will bleach kill that type of algae/fungus?

in the army we put an additive in our tanks fuel system 500 gallons, if not and tanks were part way full....wow..you could scoop it out with your hand
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I would NEVER add anything to a fuel system that has water in it, or anything that isn't fuel or an additive for fuel.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
DON'T DROP THE TANK! There are better ways. Use some Lucas Bio Medic, followed by Star Tron Enzyme Diesel fuel additive. Or the other way around, doesn't matter. Both can be found at your local auto parts. They'll not only clean the tank, but also recondition the entire fuel system.

NEVER put water into any part of the fuel system, even though you intent to drain it completely, water is a tricky bastard.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
DO NOT ADD BLEACH AND WATER. That stuff will cause your tank to rust in a very short time and then you'll have bigger problems then the algae. Use some sort of bio-cide that you can get at a truck shop or stop. Then keep extra filters handy and that stuff should all come out. You can try and drain the tank and rinse with more fuel, you could also try and suck the crud out off the bottom through the fill hole, what you do depends on how much crap is in there.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
thanks guys, i dont know if any crap is in there, im just wanting to do PM. bio-cide would work, but all the funk would still be in the tank. dooly noted on "dont add bleach water!

guess i will just drain, flush with fresh fuel , mop internally, add bio-cide and carry spare filter.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote