Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Pink Antifreeze

I took the heaters out of the bus this weekend and looped them back so that I could turn the valves back on for defrost and front heat.

In a 1995 DT466, I was expecting green with an additive to prevent cavitation. I found pink instead. IIRC, the test strips I bought were for conventional fluid, so I don't think they will work with pink as I am assuming pink is the extended life coolant (ELC)?

There were also some comments I had found online that said that test strips even designed for ELC wasn't really as effective or accurate (I don't remember which). So I was thinking I should probably send in the coolant for analysis. Anyone have a favorite lab they use that returns results in plain English?

As far as the heater removal goes, I was feeling fairly lucky that I spilled almost no coolant inside the bus. I spilled a bit when I went back to remove the cross over lines underneath the bus between the two back heaters. Then I managed to kick over the bucket while working under the bus, so all my hardwork of capturing the coolant was for naught. I still have the other bucket from up front, so I think I have at least 2 gallons of coolant in a bucket. Is it acceptable to just strain that coolant to remove anything that fell in and then store it for use in top off, or is there too much contamination from the hoses and everything else in there (I know there was some crap in the bottom of that bucket, but not as bad as the ones I used under the bus.)

Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
I took the heaters out of the bus this weekend and looped them back so that I could turn the valves back on for defrost and front heat.

In a 1995 DT466, I was expecting green with an additive to prevent cavitation. I found pink instead. IIRC, the test strips I bought were for conventional fluid, so I don't think they will work with pink as I am assuming pink is the extended life coolant (ELC)?

There were also some comments I had found online that said that test strips even designed for ELC wasn't really as effective or accurate (I don't remember which). So I was thinking I should probably send in the coolant for analysis. Anyone have a favorite lab they use that returns results in plain English?

As far as the heater removal goes, I was feeling fairly lucky that I spilled almost no coolant inside the bus. I spilled a bit when I went back to remove the cross over lines underneath the bus between the two back heaters. Then I managed to kick over the bucket while working under the bus, so all my hardwork of capturing the coolant was for naught. I still have the other bucket from up front, so I think I have at least 2 gallons of coolant in a bucket. Is it acceptable to just strain that coolant to remove anything that fell in and then store it for use in top off, or is there too much contamination from the hoses and everything else in there (I know there was some crap in the bottom of that bucket, but not as bad as the ones I used under the bus.)
I'd re-use...I don't think it goes bad...Idk about pink stuff though

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote