Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Random no crank, no start

Need some advice here. My 96 International has developed an intermittent no crank situation and I don't know whats causing it. The bus will start fine multiple times but then randomly nothing. Gauges cycle like they should, the usual clicking of relays under the dash and behind control can be heard but no crank. After turning ignition key several times (anywhere from 10 to 15) it will start up like usual. Question is: is this a sign of a weak relay somewhere, ignition switch issue or something else? Before I started throwing parts in it I wanted to ask the experts on where to start looking. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OldSkoolRacin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Mine has that problem every now and then but I have figured out that my problem is in the shifter contacts to the neutral safety switch. So when mine acts up usually after setting for a few weeks I have to wiggle the shifter between N and R to find the sweet spot while turning the key
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Mine has that problem every now and then but I have figured out that my problem is in the shifter contacts to the neutral safety switch. So when mine acts up usually after setting for a few weeks I have to wiggle the shifter between N and R to find the sweet spot while turning the key
If you can get to the contactors...contact cleaner is your friend

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on the T-444E the power relay must enable before the computer will let the starter spin.. I believe on your bus the power relay is one of the 4 that is located in a row on the firewall.. make sure htey are seated well... it could also be as noted the shifter neutral safety switch.. try jiggling the shifter a bit when trying to crank.

the gauges cycle from a different circuit altogether from the power relay.. it could also be the solenoid on the starter as well..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Yeah I cycled the shifter through all gears thinking the same but didn't help. I know that doesn't rule it out. Could be I just need to clean all the contacts. It does sit for a long time between startups as well

Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
on the T-444E the power relay must enable before the computer will let the starter spin.. I believe on your bus the power relay is one of the 4 that is located in a row on the firewall.. make sure htey are seated well... it could also be as noted the shifter neutral safety switch.. try jiggling the shifter a bit when trying to crank.

the gauges cycle from a different circuit altogether from the power relay.. it could also be the solenoid on the starter as well..
-Christopher
I'll recheck and make sure they're seated. May have to take a closer look at the starter solenoid.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #7

I had the same problem. I opened the access panel to the electrical and tapped on the solenoid while turning the key. Starts every time I do this if it won't start without tapping it. I'm going to clean the connections first, and then replace the solenoid if it persists. May be your problem as well.
jeepinkid83 is offline   Reply With Quote