Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Rear light issue

I am having an issue with a converted 1990 international that I recently purchased. When you turn the lights on the small circle running lights are the only rear lights on. When you press the brakes the two large red circle brake lights and the lower left running light is on, but the right running light goes out. We have checked grounds and replaced bad wiring and still are having this issue. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

jmunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If you are sure the wiring and grounds are correct, check to make sure the bulbs are all correct. Having the wrong ones (single filament in place of a dual filament as an example) will cause headaches like what you describe where you chase your tail and nothing makes sense.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
If you are sure the wiring and grounds are correct, check to make sure the bulbs are all correct. Having the wrong ones (single filament in place of a dual filament as an example) will cause headaches like what you describe where you chase your tail and nothing makes sense.
Thank you for your reply. We did check that. The top ballasts are both single filament while the bottom two smaller lights are double filament. We tried replacing the bulb connector to the bottom right light that wasn't working right. That did not end up working. We then tried to piggy back that light with the same wires as the left one (that worked correctly). Now the left bulb doesn't work at all and the top market lights are all out. What a mess!
jmunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Maybe remove all the bulbs, then re-install and re-test one bulb at a time? At first I was thinking install a single bulb, then another (now two are installed), then another (now 3 installed) and so on. But it might also be helpful to test each bulb position in isolation, ie with no other bulbs installed at the same time. Those bulbs that don't light alone, but do light in combination with other bulb(s), must have some wiring problem between them and their battery or ground connections.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Maybe remove all the bulbs, then re-install and re-test one bulb at a time? At first I was thinking install a single bulb, then another (now two are installed), then another (now 3 installed) and so on. But it might also be helpful to test each bulb position in isolation, ie with no other bulbs installed at the same time. Those bulbs that don't light alone, but do light in combination with other bulb(s), must have some wiring problem between them and their battery or ground connections.
That's a great idea. It essentially lays out the checks for all the bulbs and the sockets for you.
I'm not sure how your bus is wired, but with mine, the top and bottom lights are all wired the same. They all are running and stop lights and require double filament bulbs.

Look inside your sockets and see how many contacts you have at the bottom. Double filaments should look like this with two contacts.

While your single filaments should only have one contact in the center. Like this.

Let me know what you got.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote