Old 07-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
refilled coolant but did I mess up bad?

Ok so in another thread I asked about refilling coolant as I tore down all of my heating systems for rebuild...

I refilled the coolant with the new heater valves installed and closed..

got great circulation temperature stays at 180... new valves stay closed.. all is good

BUT

I did this last night when it was kind of dark... now its light and i realized the new coolant is PINK!

my old was bright green..

it is FleetCharge by peak that says it has SCA additives built into it... and list a bunch of different brands of engines you can use it in including navistar Type II (whatever type II is??)..

I have a DT-360... i cant find any manufacturer that makes and specs PINK coolant as a color.. it appears by reading PEAK's site that this stuff is just PINK so you know its SCA charged..

anyone ever used this stuff before???

will I blow something up? when I look in the bottle now of course my color is nasty but it wasnt foamy or anything..

im really hoping I dont have to flush and fill?? I have no facilities to do that.. and im having a REALLY tough time finding test strips and SCA additives if I use regular green.. so i thought id use the stuff already mixed together..

did I mess up bad??

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
We have a DT360 and have used Fleet SCA additive coolant (pink) in it for close to 14,000 miles. The coolant that the bus garage used before we bought it was pink too.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:05 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II pusher
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
To answer your last question - Yes. Mixing different types of coolant can sometimes result in them turning into a viscous goo that will block the radiator and engine's passageways, or at least cause excessive silicate dropout. I suggest you flush the entire system, including your heater loop, then refill with whatever your engine manufacturer specifies. Besides, who wants coolant the color of baby diarrhea?

I buy my test strips and SCA from NAPA.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
To answer your last question - Yes. Mixing different types of coolant can sometimes result in them turning into a viscous goo that will block the radiator and engine's passageways, or at least cause excessive silicate dropout. I suggest you flush the entire system, including your heater loop, then refill with whatever your engine manufacturer specifies. Besides, who wants coolant the color of baby diarrhea?

I buy my test strips and SCA from NAPA.

John
so green and pink SCA coolant are incompatible? how does an individual flush a cooling system without making a mess? draining my coolant was easy as i used my heater pump to pump it into a 5 gallon bucket.. took it to jiffy lube and poured it in their fluid tank...

to flush means im going to have lots and lots of water mix i have to do something with... I cant catch it all and my guess is the tree-huggers wouldnt like it going down the storm drains..

I couldnt find a procedure in my service manual on how to flush the system... I figured id introduce fresh water into the system and pump it around with my heater pump? but that doesnt get the radiator as the thermostat will be closed since the engine is off and closed..

any ideas on where i introduce the water and procedures on flushing would be a help..

the NAPA here when I asked said they can get the SCA's and test strips special order up to 10 days.. I need the bus on the road before 10 days..

the good thing is my heater loops are currently disconnected so they are already empty until I rebuild the heating system..

-Christopher
Old 07-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I just ordered these, best price I've found. Don't know how soon you would get them.

Aquachek Cool Trak 311519 Coolant Ph Boilpoint Freezepoint Test Strips 50 Pack | eBay

Quote:
any ideas on where i introduce the water and procedures on flushing would be a help
I just unhook one of the heater hoses, open all of the valves, take radiator cap off and run water from a hose into the removed heater hose until the water runs clear. It seems some areas allow down the drain, unless you have a septic system, and some don't.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Bus Geek

is pH all i need? the guy at NAPA told me I needed to measure some kind of Nitrite level or something(level of the SCA?) that required a special test strip which he recommended for any wet-sleeve engine...

i found pH strips at tractor supply.. if thats all i need im in easy.. I didnt know pH was the only thing the SCA did?

-Christopher
Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
My bad, thanks for pointing that out, I got the wrong thing, I thought the price was too good. The nitrate strips are expensive. If you have a heavy truck shop nearby they should be able to test it for you, they will also have the additive if needed.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Bus Geek

its rather confusing actually with so many engines, coolants, and different tests out there... easy to order the wrong stuff or mix the wrong stuff...

it Looks like the chemical makeup of the Pink coolant is the same as the green just has the SCA added into it... the pink is definitely NOT the purple dodge stuff or the Red DEX-Cool from GM.. so I likely didnt create a disastrous mess.. but yeah the color is now wierd..

I do have a Local heavy truck shop that I have been using.. (they are also my tire shop).. they Love the bus there... maybe I should have them drain flush and refill.. though at least it looks like I didnt completely jack things up so i can continue building out my new heater loops..
-Christopher
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You really need to start with the engine manufacturers specs for coolant. There are several different types these days and despite the claims on the bottles, the engine specs are the only data that matters.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/hd...ant-13875.html

They have come a long way in coolants since the buses were made.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote