Old 09-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
Yeah, advantage of the second alternator is that you can run it at something other than 12V. 24 or 48V should be reasonable so long as it's not exceeding the rated voltage of the internal rectifiers. And if it is bypass them and run external rectifiers and generate whatever voltage you want.

Also running the alternator at close to it's max output all the time to charge batteries will greatly diminish the life of the alternator. Two alternators will last far longer and not jeproadize the reliabable operation of your bus.

I would not pull more than 40 A continually for charging batteries from the primary alternator.
You can do this easily with a buck/boost module equiped with both CC and CV modes. Probably 15 bucks on ebay.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #22
Almost There

Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
So you’re going to run 9 12 volt batteries wired all in parallel? That should prove interesting...post a diagram of how you plan to wire them up.

I sense skepticism also, but I'm unsure why.

I have no idea what you would need 16KW of storage power for, but if you want to add 900lb of batteries to your bus and wire them in parallel you certainly can.

Better have some 4/0 AWG cable or bigger though.

The cost of all those batteries would so far exceed the cost of a generator and fuel if I had such huge power demands a generator and 1/4 of the batteries would be a no-brainer financially.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Aux Alternator

In my case I have a 1350 ah battery bank. To charge it you need a minimum of 10% or 135 amps to charge it. An alternator is a battery maintainer so running it at max is not what they are designed to do so if we think of only running at 50% of the alternators max output to maintain this battery bank that puts me at needing an alternator output of 270 amps.

this is only to have the option of charging or topping off the batteries in inclement weather or as a back up if something happens to the panels or charge controllers.

Im a fan of redundancies. I also carry a 4kw gas generator and 1950 watts of solar with 3 mppt controllers.

I work with the repair of commercial RV's and those things have only one system of any kind and when it dies those half million dollar things are dead in the proverbial water.

I have redundant water storage, power production, and heat.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
Here is an idea.. Put an alternator on you driveline to reclaim energy when going down hill to charge your batteries instead of turning it to heat through yr brakes. Make the system engage with your brake lights so that they work in conjunction.. alternator coming on first to soak up the initial load and any "light braking" that you might need. Just another radical idea from a guy who lives In a bus!)
After re reading this although I think its a grand idea but it sounds like a crap ton of fab work and I am not overly fond of mounting electrical in a possible wet environment that produces 320 amps ... even dc...... I think I will stick with what works of putting it on a mount where an ac compressor will go. I think I read that it takes about 4 hp to run one of the alternators I plan to run. I think my 466e wont worry too much about a 4hp loss.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
Still though, what is the benefit of doing that..other than having a cool/tech charging system? You could charge your "house" battery bank using the same alternator by using an isolator and save yourself some money and custom work.i don't think you need a dedicated alternator for this application.
Do I need it .... probably not. My plan is to use a 15kw diesel genny most of the time. I will back it up with a small solar set up and back up that charging with this secondary alt. Kind of over kill but how many times in life have you needed something and not have it..... so I rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

If you have ever been around any kind of Navy engineering type... we have a primary... secondary and a back up to those whenever possible.

I will have a fairly powerful car stereo system in my bus so the last thing you want is to run out of power.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar T444e
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsneeb View Post
I sense skepticism also, but I'm unsure why.
Because 9 parallel strings of 12V batteries is an absolutely terrible idea unless your goal is to see how fast you can kill your batteries, start a fire, or both.

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...es-in-parallel

https://forum.solar-electric.com/dis...series-strings

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum/off-grid-solar/12v-solar-for-rv-or-camping-etc/21436-12-volt-design-and-safety-considerations/
Old 09-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Because 9 parallel strings of 12V batteries is an absolutely terrible idea unless your goal is to see how fast you can kill your batteries, start a fire, or both.

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...es-in-parallel

https://forum.solar-electric.com/dis...series-strings

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum/off-grid-solar/12v-solar-for-rv-or-camping-etc/21436-12-volt-design-and-safety-considerations/
+1

Good advice.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 36000lbs
I've mad a trailer out of a RV chassis, I am working on plans to put an alt on the rear end of the trailer since it is a drive axle that isn't doing anything.
Figure it would work good to reclaim some power from nothing. I realize that doesn't do anything when your not moving but I've got all kinds of parts laying around so there isn't going to be really any cost for me to do it other than the cost of running the welder.
It will be dandy though if the bus alt dies while road tripping so I have plenty of time to drive where I need to get to change out the bus alt.
I realize I would be one of the very few with this option but I couldn't help but throw that idea out there.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Parallel Series battery bank

I dont pretend to be an engineer so I have to ask regarding my proposed battery bank.

Is it ok to run 3 of the 12v batteries in parallel then join 3 groups of these parallel banks together. As opposed to a long 9 battery string all in parallel.

I dont know so I am asking those that know.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote