Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
Second (ie:Dual) Alternators?

Hi All,

I was thinking that a second alternator would be a great option for house power as I wanted to use Li-Ion or large LifePO4 24/48volt modules.

Is there room for another belt driven one? Are there alternators that bolt on the PTO port of the Allison?

Just a thought...

PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
on a FE bus like yours I'd be wondering where to mount one, but I'm sure there's a way,
Most alternators don't do much at idle speeds so look real hard at what they put out and at what speeds.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
What engine does your bus have?

I have seen a number of kits for the Cummins 5.9. Haven't found much for the 8.3 or the DT-466.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Dual Alternators

Ive also got a DT466E powered FE bus. I am going to mount a second alternator to power my house batteries, I just cant get a 320 amp alternator to mount on the side of the engine in front of the Turbo.

Im thinking of 2 28SI Delco alternators. The first one will be the stock J180 mounts in the stock location to help the engine side and the second one will be using the stock AC compressor mount on top of the head and run it with the stock serpentine pulley that goes on top of the fan drive pulley. You can use a Delco 28SI with tab mounts. Ill have to make a mount but that is a perfect place to put it.

So it will be 200 amps of dedicated power just for the house batteries.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
Ive also got a DT466E powered FE bus. I am going to mount a second alternator to power my house batteries, I just cant get a 320 amp alternator to mount on the side of the engine in front of the Turbo.

Im thinking of 2 28SI Delco alternators. The first one will be the stock J180 mounts in the stock location to help the engine side and the second one will be using the stock AC compressor mount on top of the head and run it with the stock serpentine pulley that goes on top of the fan drive pulley. You can use a Delco 28SI with tab mounts. Ill have to make a mount but that is a perfect place to put it.

So it will be 200 amps of dedicated power just for the house batteries.
That's pretty stout!

What sort of house battery bank are you running?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteinSF View Post
Hi All,

I was thinking that a second alternator would be a great option for house power as I wanted to use Li-Ion or large LifePO4 24/48volt modules.

Is there room for another belt driven one? Are there alternators that bolt on the PTO port of the Allison?

Just a thought...
No? No alternators made to bolt to the PTO of the Allison if yours even has that option.
If it does have that option? Then you would need to get creative and build your own under the bus but it only charge while the tranny is turning/moving. A PTO is Very rare for a bus. A many of farm implements including generators are built to run off of PTO but none would fit under a bus and if it did? The PTO driveshaft angle to the genny could/would kill any usable storage space on that side.
Hope your a driveshaft engineer or can pay for it if your tranny has the capability.
Most PTO have a lever to lock them in or a switch to turn them on and off?
Do you have either?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That's pretty stout!

What sort of house battery bank are you running?
Ill be running 1350 Ah battery bank. 9 of the GC12 batteries each has 150Ah, these are flooded batteries.

1950 Watts of Solar
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
Ill be running 1350 Ah battery bank. 9 of the GC12 batteries each has 150Ah, these are flooded batteries.

1950 Watts of Solar
So you’re going to run 9 12 volt batteries wired all in parallel? That should prove interesting...post a diagram of how you plan to wire them up.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Yes,

Please let us know how that works out for you.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
I am in the same boat trying to do the same thing with my 2001 RE 466e.

I have dug really hard to find some type of kit out there to run a dual alt but with no luck. There is the business in my area that seems to be the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to brackets. I contacted them and they said they have had no request for a dual alt 466e so they dont have any made. I am sure for the right price they will do the r/d on one but I would hate to see the price tag that comes with it.

So I have to either try and mod the ac bracket like stated here which I think will be the best way to go.

I did however come across several delco remey pad style 320a 12v continuous duty alternators that I am selling if anyone is interested. I have that listed in the classified area.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
I am in the same boat trying to do the same thing with my 2001 RE 466e.

I have dug really hard to find some type of kit out there to run a dual alt but with no luck. There is the business in my area that seems to be the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to brackets. I contacted them and they said they have had no request for a dual alt 466e so they dont have any made. I am sure for the right price they will do the r/d on one but I would hate to see the price tag that comes with it.

So I have to either try and mod the ac bracket like stated here which I think will be the best way to go.

I did however come across several delco remey pad style 320a 12v continuous duty alternators that I am selling if anyone is interested. I have that listed in the classified area.
Try these guys :

https://cwkits.com/
Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
So you’re going to run 9 12 volt batteries wired all in parallel? That should prove interesting...post a diagram of how you plan to wire them up.
Quote:
Yes,

Please let us know how that works out for you.

I sense a bit of skepticism here...

I'm still learning about the electrical side of things and I'm wondering what issues might arise from a planned bank like this.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Try these guys :

I take it they were able to hep you out, excellent. They were quite helpful for the bracket for my second alternator.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Try these guys :

I'll give them a shout. I think I may have already but will try again
Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Skoolie

DT466E A/C mount for Alternator

The late 466e engines that had A/C use a cast iron mount on the top of the head that can be re-purposed for an Alternator. It has a flat surface which can be modified with tabs for an alternator like a Ford 250amp alternator. Then use the A/C compressor drive belt which is a 6 rib pulley like the Ford alternator. The bracket has a place for a spring loaded tensioner that will also work.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I guess I'm just out of the loop a bit, but why two alternators? Does your bus really use all juice that the huge factory alternator makes? Are you trying to run ac off it..keeping the load on the alternator down? I grew up off grid and our entire household ran off a constant 24 amp charge (or less) from a micro hydroelectric setup.with 8 Trojan 6v golf cart batteries we could run tv, fridge, washing machine, lights, vacuum, ect. Though not all at the same time of course. It seems to me that max. battery storage would be in your best interest and that an extra alternator would likelly be a high cost waist. Just my two ˘ents.. somebody enlighten me
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #17
Skoolie

Here is an idea.. Put an alternator on you driveline to reclaim energy when going down hill to charge your batteries instead of turning it to heat through yr brakes. Make the system engage with your brake lights so that they work in conjunction.. alternator coming on first to soak up the initial load and any "light braking" that you might need. Just another radical idea from a guy who lives In a bus!)
Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
Here is an idea.. Put an alternator on you driveline to reclaim energy when going down hill to charge your batteries instead of turning it to heat through yr brakes. Make the system engage with your brake lights so that they work in conjunction.. alternator coming on first to soak up the initial load and any "light braking" that you might need. Just another radical idea from a guy who lives In a bus!)
My goal is to have a separate system to change the house system and keep the on board bus on its own. I've know people who have hooked power inverters straight to it and convert the dc straight to ac
Old 09-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #19
Skoolie

Still though, what is the benefit of doing that..other than having a cool/tech charging system? You could charge your "house" battery bank using the same alternator by using an isolator and save yourself some money and custom work.i don't think you need a dedicated alternator for this application.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
I guess I'm just out of the loop a bit, but why two alternators? Does your bus really use all juice that the huge factory alternator makes? Are you trying to run ac off it..keeping the load on the alternator down? I grew up off grid and our entire household ran off a constant 24 amp charge (or less) from a micro hydroelectric setup.with 8 Trojan 6v golf cart batteries we could run tv, fridge, washing machine, lights, vacuum, ect. Though not all at the same time of course. It seems to me that max. battery storage would be in your best interest and that an extra alternator would likelly be a high cost waist. Just my two ˘ents.. somebody enlighten me
Most of us have 12v starting batteries that are charged by the 12 alternator.

Some of us sport 24v or 48v house batteries. Trying to charge those properly from a 12v alternator is tough....

Adding a second alternator good sense in some circumstances.