Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Skipping, dying, gas pedal, 1997 international 3800

Hi. I just bought a 1997 International 3800 deisel bus. I drove it for about 6 hours to a lot near my home. It ran fine. It sat at the lot for 2 months. Then a couple of days ago I drove it to my house and it did fine. The temperature dropped but the lowest it has been is 42 degrees. Last night it was 52 and I drove it about 2 blocks before it started sputtering. Then it accelerated on it's own then died. It cranked right back up and did it about 4 times before I reached my destination. Which was only 5 miles. I stopped to fill it up in case the gas hand was wrong but it only took about $60. So it wasn't running out of gas. Please any suggestions would be awesome.

Rhonda0967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Maybe check your water separator on your fuel line. You can get some fuel additive that might help, but it doesn't sound like it's cold enough there to make a problem.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks. We are going to check mat sensor now. My daughter spilled a lot of oil on the manifold yesterday. We were going to check several different sensors.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
What fuel are you running on. Sensors are money just by mentioning them.
Diesel has its own problems period.regardless of fuel type?
I would start with filters before sensors?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #5

It's a deisel. I found out that algae can grow in the fuel and clog up everything, especially if it sits for awhile. I was told to constantly change the fuel filters and add a bioguard to kill the algae. We cleaned the small basket that was clogged up with wormy looking things and black specks. But I was told it's best to replace both the small and large filter. So I'm going to do that tomorrow. I was also told to put some kerosene in the fuel especially since I was leaving FL and going north. They said that would clean the fuel system. One pint to every 20 gallons is what they said. I guess we will see tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda0967 View Post
It's a deisel. I found out that algae can grow in the fuel and clog up everything, especially if it sits for awhile. I was told to constantly change the fuel filters and add a bioguard to kill the algae. We cleaned the small basket that was clogged up with wormy looking things and black specks. But I was told it's best to replace both the small and large filter. So I'm going to do that tomorrow. I was also told to put some kerosene in the fuel especially since I was leaving FL and going north. They said that would clean the fuel system. One pint to every 20 gallons is what they said. I guess we will see tomorrow.
Idk about the algae...wow, but the farmers I used to work for put kerosene in the tractors in the winter...they told it helped prevent jelling...Idk

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997, dying, gas pedal, international 3800, skipping