Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Swap a 7.3 with gasoline engine for parade float??

Those who remember me know that I come up with a lot of strange brainstorms. And once in a while one of those ideas works out! Raising the roof on Millicent two feet comes to mind.

Anyroad, I have this question, and don't know where else to ask. I'm considering buying a cheap 1992 Ford F-350 pickup with the International 7.3 diesel engine, automatic transmission and 4x4. Problem is, the reason it is cheap is because the engine is junk. So I'm wondering if a gasoline engine would bolt up to the tranny?

I can handle the engine mounts and the plumbing and wiring. It's all about whether the engine-tranny interface is standardized?

No, I wouldn't drive it on the road much. It's for a parade float.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Swap a 7.3 with gasoline engine for parade float??

id say more you need to find out what tranny and then find what motors it fits.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I feel silly. I'm finding plenty of suitable gasoline-engine trucks on Craigslist. Making a swap would be foolish, even if it were doable. Never mind!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Re: Swap a 7.3

The 7.3 engines will only bolt up to a special trans named the E4OD or 4100 trans. Much cheaper and quicker to change the engine. Care must be used to find the correct engine that is compatible to the computer. There are many choices. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Bus Geek

All right, that settles it. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I have wondered what happened to Elliot

When ya first posted here, you had some serious ideas. What happened? Did ya sell your project? In many ways your ideas are similar to mine. For a while I had 14 buses, but now I have just 7 buses. I start6ed with a huge GMC 4905, lots of wasted time, money and energy. So I found a nice short, 35 ft. GMC 4107. Decided I wanted/needed more horsepower. Drove to New Orleans and bought a fresh overhauled DD 6/92 making about 390HP. After about $30K in parts, I quit. I saw an ad for the best bus for conversion to an RV. This bus has it all, with 2 right side doors, Kitty engine,35ft, ex SLC Ski bus, power steering, Allison 643,seats removed and all looked good. After a grueling long drive from Lancaster, Ca. to Twin Falls at 54 MPH, and at 37 degrees with no heat..
Had the rear axle gears changed for $2400 and the bus will go about 76MPH. But the nice 3208 Kitty could only make about 160HP with no turbo. Then I discovered the Crown buses. Some are good and some are not. The first of 7 Crowns came from a small church/school in Santa Barbara, Ca. The sellers were ugly/ stupid and tried to scratch their name off the sides of the bus. And I paid too much money, but ya know the money is for a school.
Bringing the bus to Idaho was also a thrill ride with no heat and minus 7 degrees at Elko, Nv. The Chevron failed to add any diesel fuel no freeze, I filled up about 65 gallons. Guess the results.. Bought another Crown locally with bad engine and no trans and paid too much. The owner was in financial difficulty. Later I got 5 Crowns at an auction. These buses had been sidding for some 8 years from So. Ca. After driving the Crown a while and mostly converting, a 1991 International Blue Bird was discovered. I flew to Kentucky and bought another project. The ride ti Idaho was fun and lots of adventure. Buses are fun and will use all your money. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I still have plenty of wild ideas. And I still have Millicent. Monetarily, she belongs to my partner-in-countless-crimes Peter now, but we still keep her in my name and at my house. We use her for half a dozen outings each summer -- around 5000 to 7000 miles each year. I suppose I should update the Millicent thread.

But one bus is enough for me! I'm not really interested in buses as such -- I just need the hauling and camping capacity. And Millicent is serving splendidly.