Old 07-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar T444e
Rated Cap: 24
t444e coolant questions - SCAs

These are not necessarily t444e-specific, but since my current concern is the t444e, I figured it couldn't hurt to add that in.

I'm a bit confused by the whole SCA/DCA thing.

1) Are SCA/DCAs the same thing... just a different term for a similar additive package? If not, what should I be using for my engine? Are there different additive configurations that are better/worse/suitable/not suitable for this engine?

2) Apparently OAT coolants, which our 2003 should be OK with, don't require SCA additives. But would they be harmed by them? Would you use the same SCA-containing coolant filter even when running an OAT coolant?

3) SCA test strips... are these manufacturer/model specific? Are the levels model specific? Or can I just buy some test strips on Amazon, follow the directions, and know if I'm good-to-go regardless of what diesel I'm testing?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Well, I did some research elsewhere, and have managed to answer a few of my own questions. So for anyone else that was wondering (or myself if i ever forget lol):

1) SCA: System Coolant Additive, DCA: Diesel Coolant Additive. Apparently the terms can be used interchangeably to describe, in generic terms, any additive package used to address coolant cavitation issues in diesel engines. The terms can also show up in specific formulations of additives, however, which led to at least part of my confusion. Examples: DCA-2 & DCA-4, which are two unique formulations of additives, each made to work with particular engines. I haven't found any specific formulations that use SCA in the name, but that doesn't mean there aren't any (are there?). Also, many specific formulations don't use either nomenclature in their names... VC8, FW16, etc.

2) Still don't know the answer to this question, but as I've learned that excessive levels of SCAs with coolants that require them can promote scale, it would seem logical that using any SCAs with coolants that don't require them could at a bare minimum lead to unnecessary deposits. I'm still curious if there are more extreme compatability problems.

3) As long as the test strips are made to measure the formulation of SCAs you're running, you should be able to go off their min/max values. And max values are important. Excessive SCA levels are problematic as well.

Here's one link I used that I found helpful in researching the subject. There were others, but I forgot to save those:

https://www.oilburners.net/articles/...l#introduction
Old 07-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im running AMSoil Heavy duty coolant (its a polyOrganic synthetic) in my 444E... it is dafe for all 444E's 99.5 and later.. it does not require Additional additives... you run a dummy coolant filter that nas no SCA tablet in it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im running AMSoil Heavy duty coolant (its a polyOrganic synthetic) in my 444E... it is dafe for all 444E's 99.5 and later.. it does not require Additional additives... you run a dummy coolant filter that nas no SCA tablet in it..
I was hoping you'd show up! Yeah, I read through all the posts I could find from you regarding the issue, and learned a lot through those. But what I wasn't sure of is if you HAD to run a dummy filter, or if you COULD run a dummy filter. What would be a source for those?

Also, regarding such coolants, am I correct in the belief that you don't need SCAs with them because their makeup prevents them from cavitating in the first place? If so, that seems on the surface like better protection than SCAs would provide?
Old 07-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Which begs the question:
Quote:
What about those of us who have, I dunno... say, an 1998 vintage?
(Inquiring minds, and all that)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Which begs the question:What about those of us who have, I dunno... say, an 1998 vintage?
(Inquiring minds, and all that)

According to Navistar (and ford) the pre 99.5 engines werent designed for ELC coolants.. id have to ask the AMSoil rep if the HD will run in those engines or not..

in those the suggested coolant is the standard green where after you do a flush and fill you add in the additive and then maintain the additive levels by running a coolant filter that has the SCA tablet in it.. that tablet is slow release.. designed for the short life the green coolant has..

what no one has ever been able to tell me is what changed internally on the engine at 99.5 that allows for ELC coolants vs not.. I know the 99.5's got new injectors, turbos, torque ratings, and the provisions in the datalink for the Allison 2000 transmissions which released that year..

or if that simply was the break where navistar and ford starting selling trucks with the ELC coolants in them.. and of course for liability sake would only recommend it for the newer units..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Thank you.
Now I suppose that there's no easy way to check the state of the SCA suppository without painting my patch glycol green..?

Quote:
According to Navistar (and ford) the pre 99.5 engines werent designed for ELC coolants.. id have to ask the AMSoil rep if the HD will run in those engines or not..

in those the suggested coolant is the standard green where after you do a flush and fill you add in the additive and then maintain the additive levels by running a coolant filter that has the SCA tablet in it.. that tablet is slow release.. designed for the short life the green coolant has..

what no one has ever been able to tell me is what changed internally on the engine at 99.5 that allows for ELC coolants vs not.. I know the 99.5's got new injectors, turbos, torque ratings, and the provisions in the datalink for the Allison 2000 transmissions which released that year..

or if that simply was the break where navistar and ford starting selling trucks with the ELC coolants in them.. and of course for liability sake would only recommend it for the newer units..

-Christopher
Dangit! I was SO looking forward to scoring some funky new, underhood coloration!